HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

guess Pud should be happy your not in a third floor apt!   are you sure you don't have a gremlin? :D    great repair Danny!   {I'll put my like on the after pictures}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks guys. I'd keep the door shut if I HAD one - no such luck :D . Pud stays outside while I'm working on the ship, but we have to let him in overnight (winter and all that :) ).

Vangs

The Vangs control the swing of the Gaff. They are clove-hitched around the end of the gaff, and the falls reeve through a lead block hooked to the taffrail and belay to the quarterdeck rail. In these pics the Mizzen Topsail and Mizzen Topgallant Yard Braces have also been fitted :

Vangs 005.jpg

Vangs 001.jpg

Vangs 003.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

They look great Danny! I don't know what it is about that phase of rigging, but every time I see the vangs go up, it seems to give the ship that finished look.  :rolleyes: I feel bad for Pud though, with all that temptation always staring him in the face, resistance is futile.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I don't know what it is about that phase of rigging, but every time I see the vangs go up, it seems to give the ship that finished look.

Thanks George. Maybe it's because they are among the last bits of rigging you fit? :D . I still have a few more to go, as I've found it easier to start at the stern and work forward.

Braces

I've fitted most of the Braces, which control the fore-aft swing of the yards. I've come to a slight stand-still as I've run out of 0.3mm line (I'm less than 1 metre short, but have to wait a week or so to get some more from Chuck).

The first ones to fit are the Topgallant Yard Braces, starting with the Mizzen mast. These are seized around the yard without a Pendant (all topgallant braces are similar). The brace runs through a double block fitted near the peak of the Gaff, through a lead block hooked to the taffrail, and belays to the quarterdeck rail :

Braces Mizzen Yards.jpg

Vangs 004.jpg

Next come the Mizzen Topsail Braces. The halyards are attached to the strop of a block each side of the peak of the gaff, reeve through the blocks in the pendants, back through the first blocks, and belay off in similar fashion to the topgallant braces.

The Main Topgallant Yard Braces run through Pendants hitched around the Mizzen Topgallant Mast. The brace goes straight down to deck to belay to the quarterdeck rails :

Braces Main Topgallant.jpg

The Fore Topgallant Yard Braces run through the pendants attached to the Main Topmast Stay, forward through two blocks hooked to the aft end of the fore top, and go to deck to belay at the cleats either side of the Belfry :

Braces Fore Topgallant 001.jpg

Braces Fore Topgallant 002.jpg

Braces Fore Topgallant 003.jpg

The Main Topsail Yard Braces make use of a Pendant clove hitched around the mizzen mast just above the Crossjack. The standing ends of the halyards are hitched to the strops of the pendants, reeve through the blocks in the pendants on the yard, back through the first block, and belay to cleats at the foot of the mizzen mast :

Braces Main Topmast 001.jpg

Braces Main Topmast 002.jpg

I can fit the Main Braces, but the other two Fore Braces will have to wait until my rigging thread arrives.

Braces 007.jpg

Braces Crossjack.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

And thank you George and Jack :) .

The Main Braces start at an eyebolt above the quarterlight. The halyard then reeves through the pendant on the yard, back through the fixed block near the taffrail, and belays to the aftmost timberhead :

Braces Main 001.jpg

Braces Main 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

But we have to remember Pud's in training and mistakes are inevitable

No No you have it backwards Pud is training Danny,   Pud could see that Danny needed more practice on those parts so gave Danny a bit of a push, you have to understand how a cats mind works.

Perhaps a large mosquito net shrouding the bench area might cover for the lack of a door Sir.

Danny every time I see your rigging I realize just how much there was to sailing these early vessels. You are doing great work in detailing these areas.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for looking in John and Michael :) .

With work on the rigging at a standstill for a week or so I've decided to make a start on the Cutter. I'm going to do this as a seperate Build Log which can be accessed HERE.

Cheers, Danny

Thanks George, Dave, Greg (that happened :D ) and Christian. Robin, I think Druxey explained how they fitted in the post you put up - I don't know any more about them.

The Cat came back :huh::huh::huh: !!!

Below are some pics of the damage caused by Pud on his most recent (and hopefully LAST) excursion through my ship. All damage has been repaired, and wasn't quite as bad as it first appeared. The Crowsfoot Euphroe block lashing was the most difficult piece to repair. The whole repair job took me a full morning, but Pud is still alive and well :D :

attachicon.gifCat Damage 001.jpg

attachicon.gifCat Damage 002.jpg

attachicon.gifCat Damage 003.jpg

:cheers: Danny

Danny,

I hope you gave Pud a stern talking to and explained that Oz is not very far from places he could end up on the menu!

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Arrrrgh.... been a long time since we had a good keel haul'n

possibly start with some lashings with a cat-o-one tail

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 1 month later...

Lantern

The construction of the Lantern begins by milling a plug around which it will be built. I used plastic which had a quite slippery surface to prevent as much glue as possible from sticking. The lantern is tapered from top to bottom and is also at a 15 degree angle from the vertical. I used the dividing head shimmed up to the 15 degree angle on one end :

Lantern 001.jpg

The vertical munions are cut to 30 degrees on the edges. They are left overly thick whilst assembly goes on, I'll trim them to the right thickness when all is assembled :

Lantern 002.jpg

Lantern 003.jpg

Lantern 004.jpg

The top and bottom are rather tricky to shape, as the 15 degree angle applies again but they are also rounded. I milled the hex to the angle and rounded them with a sanding stick :

Lantern 005.jpg

Lantern 006.jpg

Lantern 007.jpg

Continued next post .....

Cheers, Danny

Oh Danny Boy

"My heart, my heart are waiting" for for your next post.

Its looks like another piece of fine work you are doing.

All the best mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks Greg.

.... continued.

Here's a pic of the progress. The base has been fitted to the munions :

Lantern 009.jpg

The Stool was a challenge :

Lantern 010.jpg

Lantern 011.jpg

There are several rims between the pieces. I glued each piece to some 0.5mm thick stock and sanded the edges to shape when it dried. This was then rounded with a sanding stick :

Lantern 012.jpg

The centre munions were fitted next. There is still some sanding to be done to get the verticals down to size in this pic. The "glass" (acrylic) has been fitted :

Lantern 013.jpg

I filed the Crank from brass strip and soldered a mounting pin on :

Lantern 014.jpg

Nearly finished. I'll sand the edges of the verticals down to size tomorrow when the glue is completly dry :

Lantern 015.jpg

The Vent :

Lantern 016.jpg

Detail of the base and stool :

Lantern 017.jpg

With the crank fitted :

Lantern 018.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

that lantern is fantastic....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Brilliant work Danny! Is one lantern all you'll need, or do you have to repeat the process? 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Excellent work Danny, a very nicely crafted lantern.  I will be sure to tuck this technique away.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks very much Greg, John, Nils, Jan, George, Russell and Pat :) .

I guess that it's rather small

Jan - it's 28mm tall.

Did the Photo Etched lantern prove to be inaccurate or did you scratch it just because you could

Russell - Because I could :D . I don't doubt the PE one would be accurate though.

Is one lantern all you'll need, or do you have to repeat the process?

Vulture only needs the one.

Here's the finished job. I've just now given it a coat of Minwax which hasn't dried yet :

Lantern Finished 001.jpg

Lantern Finished 003.jpg

Lantern Finished 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Another model of it's own on your ship  model. Really wonderful lantern

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Just incredible and it looks that door would actually work...  almost scary how realistic it looks. post-76-0-64811600-1435812542.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And thanks again Greg, Christian, Mark, wyzwyk and mhegazi :) .

Anchors

Work begins on the Anchors by filing the bevels into a piece of tapered brass stock for the Shank :

Anchors 001.jpg

Anchors 002.jpg

The Shanks and Arms after milling and filing to shape :

Anchors 003.jpg

The arms are silver soldered to the shank :

Anchors 004.jpg

Then the Palms (or Flukes) are cut from flat brass stock and soldered to the arms. The assemblies were then blackened using Jax Black - I'd run out of Birchwood Casey Brass Black and was having difficulties importing some more, so Grant Dale very kindly sent me some of this. Thanks again Grant,  it seems to work quite well :) .

The Stocks are made from Castello in two pieces per anchor. This will allow for a small air gap between them to prevent rot. They were tapered on the disc sander and finished with a fine sanding stick. I spot glued the two halves together before sanding them to shape to ensure they were pefectly similar. The holes for the bolts and treenails were also drilled before assembly to the stocks, and then the pieces were dropped into a jar of Isopropyl to separate them :

Anchors 007.jpg

Anchors 008.jpg

Anchors 009.jpg

Continued next post .......

Cheers, Danny