HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

....... continued

The completed anchors. The straps are dyed card. I stained the Castello with Oak stain to give them a more weathered look :

Anchors 010.jpg

The Ring is Puddened :

Anchors 011.jpg

Anchors 012.jpg

Anchors 013.jpg

Anchors 014.jpg

Anchors 015.jpg

Anchors 016.jpg

Anchors 017.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

That's a very nicely constructed anchor Danny.  How did you achieve such a good finish with the puddening of the ring as that is difficult to do mate.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Very nice work Danny, they look real.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Danny,

your anchors are looking very beautyful.

I stained the Castello with Oak stain to give them a more weathered look :

In my opinion this was not a good choice, because you did not stain anything else on your beautyful model as I remember right. If box was to light, why didn't you use some of your pear for the fluke?

But you are the master of your shipyard. So it's your decision.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

G'day Danny

I agree with most of the post, brilliant work!

You have never disappointed me with your master craftsmanship.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Great work Danny. Glad to know the Jax Pewter Black arrived safely and seems to have worked very well for you. :)

fantastic work and build log, and beautiful model, new member and i've just read your whole log from the beginning-awesome

could someone please tell me what TFFM stands for?? maybe silly question but hey!!!

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

thankyou TFFM plans??

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Yes... books (there's 4 in the series) are available from Seawatch Books.  The plans can be ordered from the Admiralty Models website.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thankyou, will check it out

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Thanks John, George, Pat, John, Christian, Greg, Grant, John and Paul. Your comments are appreciated :) .

A skill I need to learn 

It's a bit of a learning curve George, but doesn't take all that long to get results. Main things to watch are - make sure all parts are very clean, and are a tight fit together. Silver solder doesn't fill any gaps.

How did you achieve such a good finish with the puddening of the ring as that is difficult to do

Yep, pretty fiddly all right Pat :) . I used copious amounts of PVA to stop the rope from unravelling. I could only do about 3 or 4 turns, apply glue and wait for it to start setting, and then continue on. I used 0.2mm for the puddening and carpet thread for the lashings.

If box was to light, why didn't you use some of your pear for the fluke?

Christian, I wanted to simulate Oak for the anchor stocks. They look a lot better in "real life" than they do in the pics - you can't really tell they were stained.

i've just read your whole log from the beginning

That was a marathon effort Paul. Welcome aboard :) .

could someone please tell me what TFFM stands for

As George and Mark mentioned, TFFM stands for "The Fully Framed Model", a series of 4 books written by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert. They are both members of MSW as well. The books can be bought from Seawatch Books and the plans from Admiralty Models.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

The books can be bought from Seawatch Books and the plans from Admiralty Models.

... and they are every Cent worth. :)

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Fish Davit

The Fish Davit is used when pulling up the Anchor. The associated tackle literally is used to "fish" the anchor around the flukes and then haul the crown end up ready for stowing.

The davit is tapered by 3 scale inches on all four sides. A stop is cut into each end :

Fish Davit 001.jpg

Fish Davit 002.jpg

A handrope is fitted to enable the davit to be manhandled into position. Nine eyestrops hold the two ropes together by passing through the centre of the davit. These were a whole lot of fun to fit, as they have an eye in one end and the other end doubles back into the hole. A drop of PVA glue holds the doubled end in place :

Fish Davit 003.jpg

Fish Davit 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Another example of pure genius! Looking forward to more updates on the divat. Question: are there only one divat per ship, or are there one on each side? All the info I can find points me to the conclusion there is only one which is moved from port to starboard.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Thank you Greg and John.

Question: are there only one divat per ship, or are there one on each side? All the info I can find points me to the conclusion there is only one which is moved from port to starboard.

Quite correct Greg - there is only the one Fish Davit (at least on smaller ships such as Vulture), which is used on the side of the ship that is raising the anchor. When not in use it is stowed away, probably with the spare spars in the waist.

Cheers, Danny

Swivel Guns

There are 16 1/2 pound Swivel Guns on the Quarterdeck and Forecastle. I am only going to fit the 8 on the port side.

I turned the barrels on the lathe using the tapering attachment. A 0.9mm hole was drilled for the Bore, and another 1.2mm hole for the handle. Then I drilled a 0.8mm hole for the trunions :

Swivel Guns 004.jpg

Swivel Guns 006.jpg

To make the handle I found it easier to file the taper and knob than to try and do it in the lathe - my wire was too soft and the attempt at cutting it on the lathe took 1/2 an hour and still didn't come out right. Filing them took 5 minutes each. I started by tapering the shaft first :

Swivel Guns 001.jpg

Then I cut the piece to length, reversed it in the pin vise and filed the knob to shape :

Swivel Guns 008.jpg

The handle and trunions were then silver soldered in :

Swivel Guns 002.jpg

Swivel Guns 007.jpg

Continued next post ......

Cheers, Danny

.... continued

To make the swivel brackets I flattened some 1.2mm wire. This would have been easier with 1.6mm x 0.8mm brass strip, but I didn't have any. To get some meant a 2 hour drive, and I flattened the wire in a couple of minutes :

Swivel Guns 015.jpg

Next I drilled 0.85mm holes 9mm apart and cut the pieces to length. The ends were rounded :

Swivel Guns 016.jpg

I partially bent the strap using needlenose pliers :

Swivel Guns 014.jpg

A piece of 1.0mm wire was soldered to the strap and then the unit was fitted to the trunions. This was not as difficult as I'd feared. The guns can pivot up and down as the straps aren't soldered to the barrels :

Swivel Guns 011.jpg

Swivel Guns 012.jpg

Swivel Guns 013.jpg

Finally the guns were blackened :

Swivel Guns 017.jpg

Swivel Guns 018.jpg

Swivel Guns 019.jpg

Cheers, Danny

That's some more very nice iron-work Danny!  It's gotta be nice to have all the "toys" for making parts from scratch like this.  ----  (re-vamping my old list)  :P  :P

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Just amazing

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

That's some very nice smithing mate -  a great result and they look the real deal!

What is that red stuff evident in some photos?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

G'day Danny

As I was going through the log I thought to myself "fantastic", then, I saw the ruler next to the gun and I said to myself, "jee wizz", that's bloody small.

It is amazing how well you can do small and detailed work!

Can't wait for the next chapter in this fantastic log!

Dan,

Sharp and detailed jet again. Nice to know you do have limits working with the lathe ... although ... it's more something like metal fatigue ... Very nice job on the handle, must be ... 2 mm wide like?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Danny,

those swivels look wonderful...

I have a question:

did you choose hard silver soldering for the benefit of chemical blackening behavior versa blackening soft solder joints ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Danny,

A real pleasure to follow along... and very instructive.

Is it possible to see a shot of the cannon on the lathe perhaps part way through working it?

Thanks,

Richard 

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

George, Nenad, Pat, John, Greg, Carl, Nils, Richard and Mohamad - thank you for the kind remarks, and also to those who "Liked" my swivel guns :) .

What is that red stuff evident in some photos?

Pat, that's a discoloration caused by either heat or flux, I'm not sure which. It disappears with a bit of wire-brushing, and also when I apply the Blackening.

It is amazing how well you can do small and detailed work!

Greg, it all comes with time and practice. Also using the right techniques, most of which I've learnt from others on MSW :) .

Very nice job on the handle, must be ... 2 mm wide like?

Actually Carl it's only 1.2mm at the widest point :D .

did you choose hard silver soldering for the benefit of chemical blackening behavior versa blackening soft solder joints ?

That's one reason Nils. The other is the far greater strength that silver has over soft. And there's virtually no cleanup of excess solder when using silver.

Is it possible to see a shot of the cannon on the lathe perhaps part way through working it?

Sorry Richard, I didn't bother taking any this time. Here are a couple of (very rough - sorry) pics I took when making the Carronades on my HMAT Supply :

Carronades 003.jpg

Carronades 006.jpg

how did you change the color of the cannons from solid painted black into this grey like color in the last two pics ?

That's merely a trick of the camera Mohamad - the white background in the 1st pic fooled the camera into making them look a lot blacker.

Cheers, Danny