HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

It's great to once again see those pictures of your wonderful work, Danny, HMS Vulture has been sorely missed and I'm sure many of us are really pleased to see her return. Top-notch work as always :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thank you Joe and Aldo :) .

I hope to have it all finished to the stage it was before the "Big Crash" in about a week or two. Unfortunately a lot of stuff from the old Log can't be recovered, but the new Format I'm using for that part of the Log is a lot easier to read through.

Hi all,

I have done an Update to the Information in the top of my Index explaining what will be happening as work progresses on my Build Log Reconstruction. The Links to posts will be added, or change color, depending on the stage I'm up to at the time.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I can't repeat myself enough. Thank you very much for redoing your log. It's a fantastic log and a beautyful model. I lke especailly the parts where you wrote about your problems and mistake and how you solved them. That is the biggest help for me.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Danny, great to see the log emerging :)  Do you intend to show the log in the same build sequence as version 1 with the updates/corrections made at the point when you actually did them, or will the new log show the corrected/fixed parts in the approriate part of the log (with the fixes in the "boo-boo thread) ?

This must be putting a serious dent in your build time?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat,

will the new log show the corrected/fixed parts in the approriate part of the log (with the fixes in the "boo-boo thread) ?

That's exactly how I'm doing it.

This must be putting a serious dent in your build time?

You bet it is. I haven't done ANYTHING on the Build since we went to MSW v2.0 (pre-Crash)  :( .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Hello Danny

I am new to MSW. Thank you for sharing your build with the members. Your craftsmanship is outstanding and I look forward to your continued progress. I am really intrigued with your clamps and will be trying to make some of them.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Thanks very much Geoff - your comments are appreciated  :) . I'll have to get started on a "Tutorial" on how to make the Clamps and other "bits and pieces". Soon, I promise  :D .

Hi all,

I've attached ALL the pics in the "old" section of my Build Log. It only ran to 9 pages - some bits have been omitted, "mistakes" are in HERE and other Tips that belong in another Forum will be posted there at a later date.

I still need to add Text to most of the Posts, but that is happening already and will continue until it's all done. THEN I'll be able to get back to some REAL WORK on "Vulture"  :D .

Cheers, Danny

Very nicely done, Dan.  Real glad to see your build log taking shape once again.  I followed your craftsmanship on this build back on MSW 1.0.  Thanks for taking the time and energy to rebuild the log.  We all enjoy watching your work.

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Hi Danny,

Re-building this log is a massive undertaking for you, but one appreciated by your many followers I'm sure. When you get time to draw breath, a "tutorial" on making clamps would be great to see, and I'm sure would be an instant hit!

Cheers,

Great work Danny, although time consuming please be assured us mere mortal b uilders appreciate your efforts :)

I look forwartd to yourt tut on clamps as i am contemplating a set also.

cheers

Pat

Thank you very much Bob, Brian, Grant, Pat, archofo and Sherry (I see you've changed your Username - welcome to the "Dark Side"  :D ).

Grant and Pat and anyone else interested,

Here's a Link to my "Making Clamps" Tutorial in the "Modeling Tools and Workshop Equipment" forum :

Useful Clamps for Fully Framed Models (and other models) by Dan Vadas

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Danny, filed away as a keep sake this time :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Thank you Karl  :) .

Hi Laman,

what did you use to make your scuppers.? I remember that it was a plastic tubing that you heated to bend  the ends but cannot remember what type.

It was Evergreen plastic tubing, available in the Model Railroad section of most good hobby shops. I heated the end with a flame and pushed it down onto a steel plate to flare the ends.

Cheers, Danny

hi dan,

just found your log again after the 'great crash', thank's for putting in the 'hard yards' recreating your log.i can now enjoy the great work you have done & i hope you will contiue to do.

regards

espiegle.

And thank you too espiegle  :) .

Hi all,

I've finally completed the Resurrection of my previous Build Log (and Saved it all  ;)  ). Time to get back in the workshop (when the smell of that dead mouse fades away - you reckon I can find the thing ??? :huh:  )

Cheers, Danny

Dan,

thanks a lot for the whole work of rebuilding your beautyful log. Thanks for the lot of work you've done.

One of my primary sources is back and I can look how you did things.

Thanks very much

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Danny,

I'm still looking over your shoulder to see what you are doing.

Nice stove and al the other stuff….but please…find that mouse!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

I have a small electronic device that emits a beeping tone that drives rodents and insects away.  Seems to work since I've had no mice eating any wiring or tubing either in the garage or attic.  Ebay for very little money.

Maury

Hey have you Swan Class builders got a conspiracy going? Toni and you both building the same class, both finish the recovery of your logs on almost the same day ... :)

Mate a major milestone, achieved with some satisfaction I am sure (along with putting the lost work (several times) tribulations behind you).  I think a celebration may be the ticket especially while you wait for the the rodent issue to resolve :D

:cheers:

Pat

Thanks for looking in again Christian, Brian, Sjors, Maury and Pat.

Maury, I have a couple of those ultrasonic devices too - but not in the workshop (YET)  :D .

Pat, Toni apparently still has quite a bit to add to her Log recovery .... what she has done already (which is even better than the original IMO) came mostly from a fortunately Saved copy. She has to do the rest the same way I did - from memory.

I'm going away for the weekend starting today - by the time I get back the mouse stench should be gone (I hope).

Cheers, Danny

Sorry to hear of your rodent problem, Dan. Hopefully the air has cleared by now. And congratulations for completing the re-posting of your log. Soon the memories of the Great Crash of '13 will be distant ones, to be recalled like an old campaigner over a relaxing glass of your favorite beverage!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks very much for your words of encouragement Druxey - always good to hear from you  :) .

BTW - it turned out not to be a rodent after all .... my elderly mother-in-law had accidentally left a piece of meat out of the freezer (which is in my workshop) and placed a box over it. I didn't discover it until my return on Monday after it had been out for 6 days  .... I was faced with 10,000 Blowflies and a stench that made the trenches on the Western Front of WWI pale into insignificance  :huh: :huh: :huh:  . A full can of Mortein and two of Air Freshener, with the ceiling fan going full-blast for a day has now made the place liveable again  :) .

Thank you too Dave - it was your help with the Saved Build Log that made my work of restoring it a LOT easier  :) .

Cheers, Danny

Hi all,

Work has recommenced on Vulture at last  :) .

I've started on the Headwork for the Pumps. I've made the handles for the Brake Pumps and fitted the outlet tubes. These will be put in storage until a later date, as they get in the way of quite a few things at this stage:

Brake Pump 001.jpg

Brake Pump 002.jpg

I've also started on the Cisterns for the Chain Pumps. I've made the Bases and the Chocks they sit on. The Outboard and Inboard ones are different to each other :

Cisterns 003.jpg

Cisterns 004.jpg

The holes through the bases have a putty around the Pump Tubes on the real ship, so the slight imperfections of my octagonal cutting of them will be filled  ;)  . The Port side will be fully covered in any case, so I selected the best one of the two for the open Starboard side.

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Janos  :) .

Here are the Cistern bases in place (dry fit only). I need to trim a fair bit off the forward inner chock legs to accommodate the Mast Wedges, and also fit a short piece of deck planking under the starboard side outer chock :

Cisterns 005.jpg

Cisterns 006.jpg

Cheers, Danny