HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

now's the time there should be an armed guard against a 'kitty incursion'........if there ever was a time to strike,  this would be it  ;)   I've enjoyed watching your build Danny.........top notch wonderful work.....and spoken like a true modeler too.  :)   a very well done model indeed!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you John, Mark, Robin, Greg, Dave, Druxey and Geoff.

Mark - only a press with the iron. I didn't get any "bleeding" on my untreated test piece, or for that matter on the "real thing". It was more a matter of the paint creeping under the tape between individual pieces of weave in the cloth. This only happened in a couple of places where I may have thinned the paint a bit too much and/or didn't press the tape down firmly enough.

Robin and Greg - I went with the comments in TFFM regarding the St Andrew's Cross being usually shown as too THICK on a lot of modern models. I may have made mine a FRACTION narrow, but what's been done is done. Here's a pic of the action between USS Constitution and HMS Guerriere, painted by Thomas Birch, that shows the St Andrew's Cross as narrow as mine :

attachicon.gifThomas Birch - Action between USS Constitution and HMS Guerriere.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Dan - an incredible result that I followed in stealth mode (along with many others I'm sure).

Just to be overly crisp... The painting you cited was a knockoff... Here is the actual Thomas Birch painting of the Constitution/Guerriere battle:

fif%25253Dsc2-SC23774.fpx%252526obj%2525

Quite a difference!

Evan

Hi Danny,

Two things of note after I tell you what an unbelievable build, in minute detail AND tutorial help for the rest of us. I look forward to your next enterprise. Firstly, I told you some time ago that your skills were second to none... You suggested I look at Rehmco"s and Toni"s builds. I didn't until a week ago, because I didn't believe it possible. Without taking ANYTHING away from yours...Mother of God! They are also exquisite. Secondly, maybe now the rest of us who have been putting it off, can start / resume our builds, using the three (and more) "How to.." manuals you guys have provided. My congratulations to you.

With regards and respect,

Russell

Without question your model is quite impressive, and the accompanying build log is a tour de force on scratch building a plank-on-frame model.  They are an awesome achievment!  Thanks a ton for the many hours of instruction you provided.  Any model that I build will be better for what I learned on your build log.  Yes, I too am wondering what your next project will be.  Whatever it is it will no doubt be great.  Once again, THANKS!

Once again my thanks go out to Brian, Ed, Dave, Popeye, Jeff, Greg, John, Carl, Evan, Russell, Brian and Tom for all the comments :) .

Brian - better late than never :D .

Ed - thanks for the insight. I thought the same myself.

Dave, Brian and Tom - I'll be finishing off the masting and rigging on a "Norske Lowe" for someone else. This shouldn't take me more than about a month. Following that will be my first attempt at a ship in a bottle to quieten all those who have asked me if I'd ever built one :D . Then I'm thinking about making a Cross-section of Vulture's Midsection which I'll also donate to the museum that Vulture's going to.

The painting you cited was a knockoff

How so? All the information I've found about it attributes it to Thomas Birch  :huh:  .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Redo of Stern Lights

Following the comments about the way I'd swung the Stern Lights it didn't take me long to decide to redo them.

I had to totally remake two of them, as you can see by the pic below they didn't fit correctly into the frames. As I'd decided in the first place to show them in the open position I didn't take a lot of care to get the angles exactly right :

Stern Lights Redo 002.jpg

Stern Lights Redo 003.jpg

I added a top and bottom sill, and made new munions :

Stern Lights Redo 005.jpg

Stern Lights Redo 007.jpg

Stern Lights Redo 008.jpg

I'm much happier with the final result - not perfect, but a lot better :) .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Hi Danny,

Your work is simply fantastic! Not much else to say.

As you know, you've educated, motivated, and inspired me and for that you have my heartfelt thanks.

As a relatively new member of MSW, what happens to the log now(next)? Will it always be accessible under Scratch Builds in Progess? Is it saved in it's entirety somewhere else on the site? You have created an astonishing build log and an great educational reference tool. Do you have any suggestions for me if I wish to retain access somehow.

Thanks again,

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks you Greg, David and John :) .

Will it always be accessible under Scratch Builds in Progess?

Yes John, it'll stay right where it is now. There will also be some pics of the Finished model in the Gallery.

Cheers, Danny

Pedestals

Not a lot to say - I turned the Mounting Pedestals on the lathe and cut the slots with the mill. They'll need slight adjustments to the slots to fit the hull. No finish has been applied yet :

Pedestals 001.jpg

Pedestals 002.jpg

:cheers:  Danny:

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Danny,

That is great news.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Rope Coils

The last bit of work on the actual model is to place all the "dummy" Rope Coils in their various positions.

I made several types, depending on how the line was belayed. I used a simple jig to coil the rope :

Rope Coils 001.jpg

For the coils that go over railings I used this method after first coiling them on the previous jig :

Rope Coils 004.jpg

Rope Coils 005.jpg

Here's a small selection showing various types and sizes :

Rope Coils.jpg

Rope Coils 006.jpg

And some of the coils fitted :

Rope Coils 002.jpg

Rope Coils 009.jpg

Rope Coils 010.jpg

Rope Coils 011.jpg

Cheers, Danny

G'day Danny

Tears are again running down my cheeks after I read "the last piece of the actual model is.....".

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Cheers Greg :) . My next Build will be in my Signature.

Here's the Celebration Pic :

Yahoo Finished.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Brilliant Dan, loved following this superb build. So many great ideas and tips I am sure we will all use.

Ian

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic  :champagne:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:  :im Not Worthy:

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Congratulations Danny,

your "HMS Vulture" is an awsome Milestone Setting build in the modeling comunity.

It was such a delight to watch this "Swan Class" ship grow to it`s full blossom as it is presented today....

Very,very well done, and many thanks for sharing all your experiences, your thoughts and your so skilled handcraft work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations Danny. A truly magnificent build and an exceptional build log as well.  Thanks for all you have shown so many of us.

Congratulations Danny. You've done a beautiful job with her and providing us with a great build log to follow along with.   :cheers:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild