HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

When you have the nameplate made I guess that really does signal the end to the Vulture project.  I assume that because the model will be housed in a museum that they will provide the case.  It is fitting that this model should find a home where lots of people will view it.  Anything short of that would be a shame.  Know that there will be more than a few viewers who will be inspired to try their hand at modeling when they get a look at the Vulture.  That's how my interest in model shipbuilding started.  I was smitten by a beautiful model of the USS Constitution a friend of my father had built.  The fire was lit when I first saw that model and it never went out.  You can't help but smile to think how many fires your Vulture model will light.  What a nice legacy!

Edited by wyzwyk

:cheers:  Super job from start to finish.  Your log will be viewed for years to come by many builders Danny.  Congrats

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Congratulations - may I follow you on your next journey

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks wyzwyk, Allan, Kevin and Russell.

When you have the nameplate made I guess that really does signal the end to the Vulture project.

Almost - I've just got to finish off the base, should happen today or tomorrow.

may I follow you on your next journey

Yes :D .

Russell - Can you get to Canberra on September 19/20? She'll be at the Model Show that weekend. It's being held at the Mt Rogers Primary School, 52 Alfred Hill Drive Melba - that's on the Yass side of Canberra

Failing that she'll be in the Port Macquarie Maritime Museum immediately after the show.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Been following your build for at least two years. Have never posted.

After watching a build for so long, you get a sense of who the builder is and events that happen in there lives

Great build, great patience, wonderful skills.  Has been a pleasure to watch the growth of the model.

Congrats on her finish.

Scoot

Danny,

Beautiful work. You could place it among the models at the NMM and only its dated label would reveal that it was not one of the excellent contemporaries.

Once again many thanks for generously sharing your knowledge and techniques - it has been very useful to the Unicorn club! :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thanks Scoot (welcome to my build log at last :D ), Jan ( the pics should be in the Gallery tomorrow), Ian, Harvey and safir3 (2 years on MSW and THIS was your FIRST POST???? Wow, thanks even more :D ).

I almost had a major heart attack this morning. I'd realized that I'd forgotten to fit the Lantern Braces, so I retrieved Vulture from my daughter's holiday caravan where I'd been storing it while I worked on the base. Her van is about 50 metres away from mine, over grass and rough gravel roads .....

I placed Vulture on my workbench and prepared to make the braces - NO LANTERN !!!! This is where the heart attack nearly happened - it had taken me about 3 days to build the lantern, and I'd been quite happy with the result. I REALLY didn't look forward to making another this close from the end !

After back-tracking like a Bloodhound for 1/2 an hour I resigned myself to the worst. I'd have to make a new one :( .

When I took a 2nd look at the Quarterdeck - there it was :) . It had become detached and rolled down to the quarterdeck rail. If it had rolled to starboard and fallen into the open lower deck I'd never have realised until I'd made a new one. How lucky was that? :D :D

Anyhow - here are the lantern braces. They were a bit of a trick to get the lengths right. I had a couple of goes before I succeeded ;) :

Lantern Braces 001.jpg

Lantern Braces 002.jpg

Lantern Braces 003.jpg

At least the lantern won't come adrift now :D .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

(PHEW)

That was a bit too close for comfort .. !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Sometimes the modelling gods have a mischievous sense of humour Dan; glad you found it in time.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I'm glad it had a good ending.  That definitely ranks up there as an OMG!!!! moment.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Praise the Lord! If it was me I would need CPR to start my heart again.

Now we can say IT IS NOW FINISH!

Haveagreatone

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks Scoot (welcome to my build log at last :D ), Jan ( the pics should be in the Gallery tomorrow), Ian, Harvey and safir3 (2 years on MSW and THIS was your FIRST POST???? Wow, thanks even more :D ).

I almost had a major heart attack this morning. I'd realized that I'd forgotten to fit the Lantern Braces, so I retrieved Vulture from my daughter's holiday caravan where I'd been storing it while I worked on the base. Her van is about 50 metres away from mine, over grass and rough gravel roads .....

I placed Vulture on my workbench and prepared to make the braces - NO LANTERN !!!! This is where the heart attack nearly happened - it had taken me about 3 days to build the lantern, and I'd been quite happy with the result. I REALLY didn't look forward to making another this close from the end !

After back-tracking like a Bloodhound for 1/2 an hour I resigned myself to the worst. I'd have to make a new one :( .

When I took a 2nd look at the Quarterdeck - there it was :) . It had become detached and rolled down to the quarterdeck rail. If it had rolled to starboard and fallen into the open lower deck I'd never have realised until I'd made a new one. How lucky was that? :D :D

Anyhow - here are the lantern braces. They were a bit of a trick to get the lengths right. I had a couple of goes before I succeeded ;) :

attachicon.gifLantern Braces 001.jpg

attachicon.gifLantern Braces 002.jpg

attachicon.gifLantern Braces 003.jpg

At least the lantern won't come adrift now :D .

Lovely work on the lantern braces Danny,

and very nice geometry on the lanten fastening to the hull, itb looks great in side- and aft view

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice one Danny! I'll bet Pud was ducking for cover.....

Glad to hear it was a false alarm. The braces look great.

Thank you for the concern and comments Steve, Pat, George, Mark, Greg, Nils, Grant and Druxey :) .

I'll bet Pud was nervous too, out of fear of being blamed.

I'll bet Pud was ducking for cover

He had no need to be nervous. I knew the lantern was on the ship when I dropped it off to my daughter's van - it could only have come loose on the way back :D .

You forgot, Dan? Forgot????

It wasn't a case of forgetting the braces at the time I initially set the lantern in place - that was deliberate as I wanted it out of harms way while I fitted up the Ensign and Stern Lights. What I DID forget was to permanently glue the lantern to the crank when I'd done the rest  :huh:  :D  .

Cheers, Danny

OK, that's IT - she's finished and pics are in the Gallery.

There's a Link in my Signature which will take you there.

Cheers, Danny

Congrats Dan.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you Danny,

for this wonderful authentic detailed "Swan Class" model,

and the so well made and organized build log

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations! It is not just an exceptional model, but also a great build log - thanks for all the time you spent sharing your experience, methods, ups and downs with us.

Small rant: such a model, and such a small and blurry pictures! If you will ever get a good camera, so we can look on that piece of art in a high definition, in details... Ah :)

beautiful build dan, congratulations

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Thank you Pat, Christian, Duff, Nils, George, Cabrapente, Mike and Paul. Your congratulations are very well received :) .

Small rant: such a model, and such a small and blurry pictures! If you will ever get a good camera, so we can look on that piece of art in a high definition, in details... Ah

I totally agree Mike. As with other "stuff-ups" I've had with the model this is one I will fix later on. I didn't have a very good day for taking the pics - raining outside so I couldn't take it out into the sunlight, and I'd also left my tripod at my daughter's place. I'd also forgotten to re-set my camera to a higher Resolution :( .

I'll take a heap of Hi-Res pics another day and replace some of the ones in the Gallery.

Cheers, Danny