HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks once again to John, Brian, Jeff, Pat, Tony and Sailor1234567890 :) .

Gangways and Gangboards

There is a Fixed Gangway either side of the break for the Quarterdeck to provide access to the quarterdeck from the upper deck and also to allow for boarding, and a Gangboard either side in the Waist to provide a walkway between the forecastle and quarterdeck.

The easiest solution to making the framing for the fixed gangway I could think of was to first edge glue the planking together, shape it correctly, and then build the framing onto it. I used Pear for the edging plank for a decorative contrast.

Gangways 001.jpg

Gangways 002.jpg

Gangways 004.jpg

The second framing for the unplanked starboard side was copied from the resulting pieces :

Gangways 003.jpg

The Gangboards are a simpler affair, consisting of two 9" boards which are affixed to the knees :

Gangways 005.jpg

The installed assemblies :

Gangways 007.jpg

Gangways 008.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I like that construction method.   I have those to do on my build, but without the curves.  This method will be perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice Danny. The contrasting wood colours really give it some extra oomph!

If imitation is the highest form of praise, then my build of the Vulture fits the description.  Dan, your build log inspired me to start my own, and your log is giving me much continued inspiration and encouragement.  Some say I am an expert builder, some are inpired by my work.  My take is I am an excited intermediate builder pushing into the master arena in some aspects and a rank amature in other areas, such as carving in the round. 

Well, your blog is a great memtoring help, and your choice of wood colors (colours) is supurb.  But your artistry in construction is what challenges me to higher levels of fit and finish.  I am enjoying the journy.

Thus far, I have finished the keel with staples, the stem, both aprons, and fore deadwood, and the capstan.  Next up is the stern deadwood.  The images from Greenwich show a different pattern than shown by David A. for the Pegasus so some drafting is actrually next.

Thank you Dan and keep building and posting.                            Duff

Hi Dan,

Nice work, I just started following your build and am very impressed. I like the look of your tree nailing and wondered how you did it.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Thank you Mark, overdale, Grant, John, Duff and Richard.

Entry Steps to the Waist

There are two sets of Entry Steps attached to the fixed gangways, one either side. These have "Winding" treads to transition from the curve in the gangways - quite tricky things to get right as the angles for the slots in the fore stiles are different to the aft ones.

I cut the fore slots at 30 degrees, and the aft ones at 27.5 degrees. This gave the required "twist" in the steps.

The pics will tell the story of how I made them :

Gangway Ladders 001.jpg

Gangway Ladders 003.jpg

Gangway Ladders 004.jpg

Gangway Ladders 005.jpg

Gangway Ladders 006.jpg

Gangway Ladders 007.jpg

Gangway Ladders 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Outstanding Danny !

wonderfull Wood composition, a really impressing build

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Wow..that is tricky.  Nicely executed, Danny.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Danny,

Great work on your construction of the gang boards and steps they look fantastic, especially the steps, and thank you again for sharing your construction methods, most helpful

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

The ladders look fantastic - well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Danny , just wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed being able to re-locate and catch up on your build, and then to start following it again Danny!

- Bug

Hope you are OK Danny - I need my regular fix of envy at your work and you havent been here  recently.

All good - I'm away on holidays at the moment - doing a side project Restoring and Finishing a very rough Del Prado Victory.

Normal service will resume next week :) .

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

Beautiful work. This will be helpful when I get to my first scratch build.

I am at the early stage of considering my first scratch build. At this point I am planning the tools I might use. Can you tell me, what is the thickest wood you need for this build?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Danny,

Beautiful work. This will be helpful when I get to my first scratch build.

I am at the early stage of considering my first scratch build. At this point I am planning the tools I might use. Can you tell me, what is the thickest wood you need for this build?

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks Richard, I wish you well on your first visit to the "dark side" :) .

The thickest timber is 18 scale inches for the Hawse Pieces which have multiple curves that need shaping. The rest are 12 scale inches or less, mostly around 9 scale inches.

Cheers, Danny

Looking forward to the next update Dan, enjoy your holidays!

- Bug

Looking forward to the next update Dan, enjoy your holidays!

- Bug

Funny you should post that just now - I've only just now walked in the door at home and turned on the 'puta :D .

Updates will be forthcoming when I actually get to making something :D .

Cheers, Danny

My apologies to those who commented on this log earlier when I was away - I'd have replied sooner, but the WiFi connection in the caravan park was a real "hit and miss" affair and very unreliable. Thanks to all who posted :) .

Steve - the Planksheers are a scale 14" wide for the full length from bow to stern (7.41 mm in 1:48 scale).

Cheers, Danny

Gallows Crosspiece

I've made and fitted the Gallows Crosspiece. This is used, not as a Gallows (they used a Yardarm for that :) ), but as the aft support for the Ship's Boat and spare spars etc. This pic was taken before a finish was applied.

I'm at a bit of a loss to see how the fore end of the boat and spars is supported. There is nothing in TFFM that I can find which is used as a fore support :huh: . Any suggestions?

Gallows Crosspiece.jpg

I've also fitted the two half-curved entry steps to the waist which I'd made before I went on holidays.

Gangway Ladders 014.jpg

A couple of progress pics of the decks. I've applied Minwax Wipe-on Poly to all the areas that I hadn't finished beforehand.

Progress.jpg

Progress (1).jpg

Cheers, Danny

Back at it already, Danny! :)

Were the spare spars laid across the gallows and the after end of the forecastle with the boats stowed on the spars, perhaps?

John

That's about the only way I can see it working too John.

Thanks for the comment Grant :) .

I'm going back through Volume 2 to make sure I haven't forgotten anything - I skipped a few steps every now and then as I thought it easier or better to do some things "out of sequence".

I've made and fitted the Upper Capstan Pawls, which are the same as those for the Lower Capstan detailed earlier in the build.

Upper Capstan Pawls.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Preparing Tuck Molding and Waist Rails

The Tuck Molding covers the join between the Lower Counter and the Hull Planking that meets it. I'm only fitting the Port side. The outer end of the molding needed shaping to return to the Wales. The inner face needed bevelling to match the angle of the Counter  :

Tuck Molding 001.jpg

Tuck Molding 002.jpg

Tuck Molding 004.jpg

The same molding scraper was used for both the tuck molding and the Waist Rail. There is a slight difference in the actual molding, but it wasn't enough to warrant making a new scraper (which is quite a job - I'm using the same scraper for most of my moldings, the difference can't really be seen by eye).

I've prepared a couple of strips of Waist Raiing, which won't be fitted until after the Quarter Badges are installed. The one on the left has it's molding scraped in ready for final trimming to width :

Waist Rails 004.jpg

The Scraper :

Waist Rails 006.jpg

Waist Rails 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny