Byrnes Saw Auction - See in Naut General Discussion ×
Dan Vadas

HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans

The channels look great. I agree with John, great way of getting them level.

Thanks Sherry. My method also gives you something to clamp the Channels to. This prevents them sagging downward whilst the glue dries, if you can't position the hull so they point straight up.

:cheers:  Danny

Standards

The Standards are small upside-down knees which support the Channels. They are 2" thick in real life, 1.06mm at 1:48 scale. There are three on each foremast channel, four on the main mast and two on each mizzen. These had to go on before the Drift Rails, which are intersected by the standards. I simulated the small bolts that hold them by using an awl :

Standards.jpg

Standards (1).jpg

Danny

I`m absolutely with Adam...

As you probably recognized, I`m taking a Little pause on my own P.Sue build, but seeing your fabulous work in process really encourages me....to get further going on it again

Nils

Thanks John, Christian, Ben, Adam and Nils :) .

I've finished fitting the Channels, Standards and Drift Rails to the Port side :

Drift Rail 007.jpg

Drift Rail 008.jpg

Quarter Badge Crown

I've also carved the Crown for the Upper Finishing on the Quarter Badge. It's certainly not up to the standard of some of the great carvers on this site, but I'm happy enough with it. Here are some pics from the rough-cut blank to the finished article. I used English Box - it took me about 3 hours work. It measures 6mm wide by 4mm high :

Crown 004.jpg

Crown 005.jpg

Crown 006.jpg

Crown 007.jpg

Crown 008.jpg

Thank you Mark, John, Druxey and Pat. The puns are flying thick and fast today :D . Thanks also to all those who have been using the "Like" button.

Main Studding Sail Boom Irons

There are two pieces of ironwork attached to each main channel. One of these is an Eyestrap, into which a pin on the inboard end of the Main Studding Sail fits allowing it to swing out. The other (aft) one is a Gooseneck which holds the outboard end of the boom when it is stowed.

I made these from 1mm thick brass strip. Both pieces taper in width and thickness on the inboard ends. I drilled three holes in each piece for the "bolts", which are made from brass pins silver soldered to the straps and the heads filed square.

Main Studsail Boom Irons 001.jpg

Main Studsail Boom Irons 002.jpg

The gooseneck part was silver soldered to the arm, as it needed a very sharp bend which wasn't possible to do. I trimmed the brass nails to the thickness of the channel :

Main Studsail Boom Irons 003.jpg

Main Studsail Boom Irons 004.jpg

The pieces fitted after cleaning up and blackening :

Main Studsail Boom Irons 005.jpg

Main Studsail Boom Irons 006.jpg

I do not know what amazes me the most, your eyes or your skills for metal parts

Thanks very much juandavid - and your first post too, that's a double honor :) .

Believe me, it's definitely NOT my eyes. My 4x Optivisor is starting to become ineffective, might be time to upgrade it :huh:  .

Fenders

The Fenders assist in loading the ship, especially from a boat. Barrels could be more easily loaded as the fenders make a smooth run over the rails below :

Fenders 001.jpg

Fenders 002.jpg

Unlike the Chesstrees I fitted earlier, the fenders don't play any part of the rigging so I'm only fitting them to the Port side.

Danny

It will be a sad day when the work is finished, for those of us following your build.  I may have missed in an earlier post, but is rigging in the future for the Vulture?

Allan

In my opinion you should do a stubbed mast model. All of the rigging would hide all the wonderful work you have put into the Vulture.

David B

Hi Dan,

lovely looking fenders, and your metal work is incredible! Your Vulture is one of my favorites here on MSW!

Alex

Thanks again Grant, Allan, Bug, David, Guy and Alex - your comments are very welcome :) .

Allan and David - I'm intending to fully mast and rig the ship (if I live that long :D ).

Entry Steps 

There are six Entry Steps per side - I'm only fitting the Port side.

To avoid making yet another Molding Scraper (which would have been very difficult to use around the ends of the steps in any case) I've made each step in two pieces using English Box. I used a previously made scraper to shape the lower portions, along with needle files and Xacto knife.

Entry Steps 001.jpg

Entry Steps 002.jpg

Entry Steps 003.jpg

The two steps on the black Wales have been stained with Ebony wood stain - real Ebony didn't like my scraper very much, too much chipping out happened when I tried it on a sample piece :

Entry Steps 005.jpg

Entry Steps 006.jpg

Each step needed a varying degree of bevel sanded into it's inboard face to match the shape of the hull at that point.