HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks very much for looking in again Brian, Allan, Arch, Nils, Grant, and a welcome to George :) .

Work has been continuing on the Bowsprit Rigging.

Bobstays

These are the equivalent of the Forestays on the other masts. Like all the Bowsprit rigging they are served all over. The inboard ends pass through the foremost holes in the Knee of the Head, and are spliced together :

Bobstays 003.jpg

Bowsprit Shrouds

The equivalent of the Shrouds on the other masts. These are hooked through eyebolts at their inner ends :

Bowsprit Shrouds 01.jpg

Bowsprit Shrouds 02.jpg

Bowsprit Shrouds 002.jpg

The outer ends of both the Bobstays and Shrouds finish in a heart block, and are lashed to their respective Collars :

Bowsprit Shrouds 001.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Gammoning

The Gammoning consists of 9 turns crossing over each other vertically, followed by the same number horizontally to pull it all tight. A couple of half-hitches complete it :

Gammoning 001.jpg

Gammoning 002.jpg

Boomkins

The Boomkins were made in similar fashion to the other masts/yards, with the exception that they are curved. I cut them from rectangular stock and "octagonelled" them before sanding them round. They have a step at their outboard ends for the shrouds and Fore Tack Block :

Boomkins 001.jpg

Boomkins 003.jpg

A Capsquare fastens them to the head :

Gammoning 003.jpg

Gammoning 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Fore Tack Step Blocks

These are relatively large Blocks which attach to the Boomkins - 14" in real life. I made them from English Box, the pics tell the story :

Fore Tack Step Block 001.jpg

Fore Tack Step Block 002.jpg

Fore Tack Step Block 003.jpg

Fore Tack Step Block 004.jpg

Their Strops are served :

Fore Tack Step Block 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Best Eye-Candy EVER !!!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

wondereful work Danny,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Neat work, Danny.  Love the step blocks onn the fore tack.

Ed

I can't add to what's been said, except you are one of the ones who set the bar that I and many others strive for.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Brian, Steve, Nils, Grant, Ed, George and Mark - much appreciated :) .

Main Stay Collar

This is the largest Collar on the ship. Again, it is served all over.

After measuring and serving the line I "spliced" an eye into one end. Next I lashed the Heart to it. Then came the fun part - attempting to pass the line through the hole in the knee of the head. To assist me with this I tied a length of thin cotton to the free end and led that through the starboard headworks, through the hole, and then back up through the port headworks. All went very well :) .

Once the line was all in position I passed the free end through the first eye and seized the end back on itself :

Main Stay Collar 002.jpg

Main Stay Collar 003.jpg

Main Stay Collar 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Dave.

Mizzen Mast Shrouds

The Standing Rigging for the Bowsprit is now complete, so I'm turning my attention to the Mizzen Mast rigging. The reason I'm starting back-to-front to real practice is one of access - once the mainmast shrouds are fitted it will make rigging the mizzen forestay a little more difficult.

All the mizzen shrouds are served for about 6 feet below the mast top - unlike the other two masts the foremost shrouds aren't served for their full length as there is no Mizzen Course which could chafe them. I left them overlength for now, and lashed the pairs together around the mast :

Mizzen Shrouds 003.jpg

Using a wire spacer between deadeyes I measured each shroud, starting with the foremost starboard pair, which are the first to be fitted. Then I removed the pair from the mast and turned in the deadeyes on the bench using a vise and a set of Third Hands - much easier than attempting to do them on the ship.

When all four pairs were done I fitted the Laniards :

Mizzen Shrouds 001.jpg

Mizzen Shrouds 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

beautiful work Danny,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mizzen Mast Shrouds

Using a wire spacer between deadeyes I measured each shroud ...

Danny,

Please !! Do you have pics of the wire spacer you have used ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Danny without that serving machine you would have been trouble.  I have a serving machine called a string a long.  Since I haven't done heavy rigging for awhile It is gathering dust in my storage room.  If my memory is working I used it when I was working on a model of the of the flying cloud.  I hate doing clipper ships The rigging and the deck fittings can be a drain on you.  When I was back in Chicago I spent more time on the fittings than the hull of my Latham.  By the way what are you using for your serving line?

David B aka dumbfounded and in awe of your craftsmanship and dedication to detail.

Outstanding craftsmanship Danny. Lots of lessons to be learned here. Thanks for posting this.

Fair Winds

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Really looking nice Danny. I'm about to start rigging shrouds pretty soon, so I'll be referring to your often for help. Thanks for posting these so close up...shows the details.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thank you to Brian, Remco, Joe, Nils, Steve, David, George and John.

Remco, the Serving Machine is not Homemade. Check this LINK for the Domanov machine.

By the way what are you using for your serving line?

David, I'm using Quilting Cotton. It behaves like pure cotton when tying knots etc, but has a Polyester coating which removes all (or most of) the "fuzzies" :) . It's only drawback is that it's a bit thicker than pure cotton. Another "plus" for it - it's a LOT stronger than cotton - virtually unbreakable.

Cheers, Danny

Mizzen Mast Forestay and Collar

The Mizzen Mast Collar was made up in similar fashion to those on the Bowsprit. It's fully served and has a Heart incorporated :

Mizzen Stay Collar 001.jpg

Mizzen Stay Collar 002.jpg

I turned the Mouse on the lathe after first drilling a 1.2mm hole up the centre. This gives a good fit over the served stay :

Mouse.jpg

The Forestay with mouse fitted :

Forestay 001.jpg

Forestay 002.jpg

Lashed to the masts :

Forestay Fitted 001.jpg

Forestay Fitted 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

I didn't see in the video what the bottle was for. I hop they supply direction of use.

I think that the bottle is to be used AFTER you've finished the serving Geoff. Unfortunately, NO directions for how to empty it, it's left up to your discretion :D .

Cheers, Danny

Beautiful work Danny. The close-ups really show the quality of your work and it is very easy to forget how small all these parts are. The "like" button needs a "like very much indeed" setting!

Just one small request - could we have an occasional overall shot as the masts and rigging evolve. I am trying to visualise where you have got to but my brain has failed!

Greg

Hello Danny,

very impressive work on masts! Your details are amazing! Also very good rigging. A pleasure to follow your log.

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Thank you Greg, Robin and Alex.

Greg, some overall pics will be coming shortly. I've finished the lower shrouds on the mizzen mast, and I'm just about to fit the last two pairs on the main mast so there will be some progress for you to look at.

Robin - David Antscherl details the forecastle railings in TFFM based on a contemporary model of Amazon 1773, 32 guns in the NMM.

Cheers, Danny

You're welcome Robin :) .

Main Lower Shrouds and Burton Pendants

I've fitted all the Main Lower Shrouds. The foremost one is served all over, and the others are served for the uppermost quarter.

The Burton Pendants are slipped over the mast head before fitting any of the Shrouds. These are used for heavy lifting of any cargo, in conjunction with other rigging on the yards. They have a Thimble spliced into their lower ends, and are made up as a pair with a Cut Splice around the mast :

Burton Pendants 001.jpg

Burton Pendants 005.jpg

The foremost shroud is a single and also uses a cut splice to connect the port and starboard shrouds :

Foremost Shroud.jpg

The rest of the shrouds are paired on each side as were the mizzen shrouds. This pic shows all the shrouds fitted around the mast head :

Shrouds 002.jpg

The deadeyes and lanyards :

Shrouds 001.jpg

An overall pic of the rigging so far :

Shrouds 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Most impressive work!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)