HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks Popeye and Dave.

Are you going to keep this one or pass it on to the family / museum ?

Probably a museum.

did you get around to doing anything on the stage coach ?

Not yet - I'm going to finish Vulture first, and then I have a model of Norske Lowe to finish off for another guy.

Making Blocks

There are 24 blocks attached beneath the Fore and Main Tops. Each has 4 Buntlines, 4 Leechlines and 4 Tricing Line blocks. The buntlines are 8" double sheaved (4.23mm long), the leechlines are 7" doubles (3.7mm) and the tricing line blocks are 6" single sheaved (3.18mm).

I started by cutting the stock to the appropriate sizes for the three sizes of block. Next I cut a shallow groove (or two) for the representations of the sheaves the full length of each piece of stock. Then I made up a Spreadsheet for the co-ordinates of each hole. The spreadsheet has co-ordinates for all sizes of block from 4" to 12" :

Hole Distance Spreadsheet.jpg

I set the stock up in my mill and proceeded to drill (a Digital Readout is a MUST for this operation). I made about twice as many blocks as I needed. The co-ordinates allowed for twice the thickness of my smallest saw blade (0.20" or 0.54mm) so that I could make all the blocks with a minimum of setting up :

Making Blocks 001.jpg

Next came the most labour intensive part of the exercise, shaping the blocks using a sharp Xacto :

Making Blocks 005.jpg

The grooves for the strop were cut last before cutting each block from the stock and finishing the cut end :

Making Blocks 006.jpg

EDIT - After making a few sets of blocks I found it easier to saw the grooves for both the "sheave" and the strop in the stock before drilling the holes etc.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

one more thing I needed to know how to do smarter!

Thank you

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Thank you George, John, Greg and Alan - much appreciated :) .

Did you have any problems with warping after gluing them up?

Not with this method Greg, I placed a sheet of glass and a heavy weight on top of them until they dried thoroughly.

However I DID have major warping problems when I tried to use David's method with the very thin sheets laminated together. I used PVA glue instead of Aliphatic which I didn't have any of - not a good idea, the one I tried was a throwaway :( .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Lovely work on the tops Danny. Had you considered using Chuck's method for mass producing blocks?

Thank you Grant.

I used David's method in TFFM, I think it's similar to Chuck's??? I haven't really seen his. Do you have a Link?

:cheers:   Danny

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

I had a quick search but can't find Chuck's original post on his method. There is a description of my trials and mods on my Victory log on page 25, starting at post #374. Here's a link http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/163-hms-victory-by-grant-dale-mamoli-scale-190/page-25

I may have "filed" Chuck's original post on the other computer. If I can find it, I'll send it to you via PM. In a nutshell, it involves the Byrnes saw, the Mill with some round-over bits, a drill press, and a jig. The process itself is quite simple and I'm sure that you would come up with your own clever mods as well.

Thanks for that Grant. I might just try that method next time :) .

Berthing Rail

A slight departure from the masts/rigging while I remember it. Before I get too much more rigging around the Head it was time to make and fit the Berthing Rail. This is an iron rail supported by a stanchion in the middle. It fits into a small eyebolt at each end (I'd fitted these earlier) :

Berthing Rail.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Thanks John. It was harder to make than it looks :D .

Blocks under the Top

Returning to the tops. The blocks are held under the tops by a strop which has a wooden peg through it's top end on the top floor.

Here are a couple of pics of my method of stropping a block. The "splice" is a simple overhand knot held in place with PVA and neatly trimmed. It's very difficult to tell with the naked eye that it is a fake seizing :

Making Blocks 007.jpg

Making Blocks 009.jpg

Making Blocks 004.jpg

I pulled the end of the strop through the top using a piece of thread :

Strop Pegs 001.jpg

The top view of a pegged block strop :

Strop Pegs 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Top Stanchions and Railings

The final things to add before attaching the Tops are the Stanchions and Railings. TFFM advise against doing it at this stage as they may get damaged whilst rigging, but I found them difficult enough to fit on the bench let alone when they are on the ship. I'm confident that they will stand up to any punishment later on :) .

I made the stanchions from 1.0mm brass rod and 1.6mm brass tube. The tube's ID was only 0,8mm so every piece had to be drilled. I did this on the lathe, and also cut the pieces of tubing from the stock using the parting tool held about 1mm from the chuck. They are a rather tight fit, and didn't really need soldering so I didn't bother :

Top Rails and Stanchions 001.jpg

The stanchions were also a tight fit in the previously drilled holes in the tops so I glued them in with CA. I drilled the rails 3/4 of the way through, and once again they were a good fit. I glued them on to the stanchions with PVA :

Top Rails and Stanchions 002.jpg

Top Rails and Stanchions 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Nice tops Danny.

Maury

Thank you Eamonn, George, Maury and Jan.

Catharpins

A rather tricky step in the rigging, I've fitted these before starting the ratlines as it gave me better access.

Some careful measuring was needed (along with a bit of trial and error) to ensure that the catharpins would just slightly pull the shrouds together when fitted. They also had to all be EXACTLY the same length. The eye splices also had to be taken into account.

First job was to serve the 8 pieces needed, leaving some extra length in the serving line that would act as a "splice". Then the eyes were "spliced" in a similar fashion to others I'd done before. The seizing lines were tied to each eye :

Catharpins 002.jpg

One end was loosely seized near the bottom of the shroud where it was a bit easier to do :

Catharpins 001.jpg

Then the unit was raised into position. I used a self-closing tweezer to hold the opposite side in position while I finished off the seizing. The foremast catharpins fitted :

Catharpins 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny

A sensitive maneuver, to say the least Danny. Nice!

Cheers post-12186-0-57683600-1417565716.gif

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Those were spliced on Vulture?  I was thinking they would have had the hooks, though that was probably later.  Well done on that bit of tricky rigging, Danny.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

VERY nicely done!

Maury

beautiful Fitting of catharpins Danny,

that is a real tricky assembly to get the correct Tension on These in relation to the shrouds....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Danny, If you do not mind I might start calling you OBI WAN.  Every time I look on your build I am learning something new.  You have shown me a new way to make those nasty blocks.  As for laminating I have used aliphatic, pva, epoxy, and contact cement.  It depends on what I think will happen.  Most of the wood laminating was done with wood glue or epoxy.  That way I do not have to worry about parts developing a warp.  I have using epoxy because of the smell and the mess.  And if you try to work the blank before the epoxy cures you might have to get a new blade for your saw.

David B

Thanks very much George, Mark, Maury, John, Nils and David. Your comments are appreciated.

Those were spliced on Vulture?  I was thinking they would have had the hooks

Yes they are Mark. You may be confusing them with the Futtock Shrouds, which do have hooks.

Euphroes

The Euphroes are used to attach the lower parts of the Crowsfeet to the stays. They are only 12mm long for the fore and main masts, and 10mm for the mizzen mast. This is slightly longer than the ones described in TFFM (by 20%) but with the slightly larger thread I'm using for the Crowsfeet I had to make the holes a bit bigger (0.45mm) to get the thread through. There are 11 holes in the fore and main and 9 holes in the mizzen.

I started by cutting the stock for all three to width and thickness from English Box. I ran the stock through the table saw to cut the grooves for the strops. Then I drilled all three pieces in my mill :

Euphroes 002.jpg

Euphroes 001.jpg

Then I cut the three pieces to length, tapering each one first. Final rounding was done with a sanding stick :

Euphroes 003.jpg

Final job was to attach the strops and a 4" block for the tackle. This is a rarely seen detail on models :

Euphroes 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Crowsfeet

The Crowsfeet prevent the topsails from chafing the lower stays, and also stop them from getting snagged in the tops.

I used Gutermann Quilting Cotton for these. It's not quite the same color as Chuck's running rigging line, but it is the closest match they make. This stuff is made from cotton and has a polyester coating which makes it a little more rigid than normal cotton - this makes threading it through tiny holes a lot easier. It also has NO fuzzies at all :) .

The line starts on the strop at the top of the euphroe and passes over the forward edge of the top and through the middle hole. Then it comes back up through the adjacent hole on the port side, down to the uppermost hole in the euphroe and through the top on the starboard side. These steps are repeated for the remainder. The last line is tied off to it's adjacent partner underneath the top.

It was a difficult job to get even tension on all the loops of line. I had to go back over all the loops a few times to get an acceptable result :

Crowsfeet 001.jpg

Crowsfeet 002.jpg

The euphroe tackle :

Crowsfeet 007.jpg

Crowsfeet.jpg

Cheers, Danny

is there a time period for this type of tackle?   I've not seen it on older ships.  looks super Danny  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

is there a time period for this type of tackle?   I've not seen it on older ships.  looks super Danny  ;)

Amazing detail Danny!

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I'll be building the MS Constitution and I guess back in 1812, or there-about, she had the crows-feet on the fore and main masts, then at some point they were omitted. Don't know when or why. 

Cheers  :cheers: 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Spectacular work Danny - the rigging is absolutely exquisite!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Great work on the rigging Danny, I had not seen this detail before.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.