HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Danny,

A very nice fiddly job well executed. Now I know what some writers refer to in some novels (Pope, Kent/Reeman)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks Robin, Popeye, George, Adam, Michael and Carl :) .

is there a time period for this type of tackle?

Popeye, Robin summed it up pretty well. According to Lees (pages 44 and 45) Crowsfeet were introduced in the middle of the 17th century. The tackle using blocks was replaced with thimbles around 1800 until crowsfeet were done away with some time in the early 19th century.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I was unhappy about the thread color and the stark contrast for the crowsfeet, so I'm re-doing them with black line :

Crowsfeet Redo 002.jpg

This is not entirely accurate, as to the best of my knowledge they weren't tarred, but the visual aspect is far better.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

It does look better with the dark line.  Just tell people that it is dirty!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I must be the odd one as I liked the contrast but what I liked isn't important.

It is still very clean, sharp and damn beautiful to look at.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I have to agree on the white. However, why didn't you use hemp-colour (yellowish). Although I'm no expert, a bit of contrast wouldn't be that bad. Now it might turn out hardly visible.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

why didn't you use hemp-colour (yellowish)

That's what I DID use originally. I couldn't find another color of Quilting Cotton that was closer to Chuck's tan rigging line.

I'm pretty happy with the black - I've redone all three crowsfeet.

Cheers, Danny

My own thoughts are that the black looks better than the very light colour.

Michael.

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for looking in Michael and Jan :) .

Futtock Shrouds

Preparations for installing the Futtock Shrouds begins with making the Futtock Plates which hold the deadeyes. I made these from 0.7mm brass wire rolled around a 3.3mm drill bit, clamped up with needle nose pliers, and silver soldered at the bottom end. A 0.7mm hole was drilled into the lower end and the upper end was stretched back out so the deadeye could be inserted :

Topmast Deadeyes 001.jpg

After blackening the plate was closed up around the deadeye :

Topmast Deadeyes 002.jpg

4mm hooks were bent from 0.5mm wire, silver soldered and blackened. The futtock shroud was then seized to it :

Futtock Shrouds 001.jpg

The futtock plates go through the oval holes in the mast top and the shrouds are hooked to them :

Futtock Shrouds 002.jpg

The lower end of the shroud wraps around the futtock stave and is seized to the lower shroud :

Futtock Shrouds 003.jpg

Futtock Shrouds 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

That's very nice, neat and well finished rigging Danny.  No fuzz at all that I can see (even at macro level)).

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

No fuzz at all that I can see (even at macro level)

Thanks Pat. That's due to Chuck's superb rigging line :) .

Cheers, Danny

It's pretty busy under the mast tops now :) :

Futtock Shrouds 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

very nice rigged masttop Danny,

I also like the combination of Colors...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Danny

Your rigging looks so good it has pretty much convinced me to rig my next model when I get to that point.   As it will no doubt be a couple years down the road, I do have a chance to change my mind :10_1_10:

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Dan,

beautiful work, a pleasure to follow.

I am at a point where I am starting to solder... for the first time.  So I am experiencing a learning curve.  You said that you are silver soldering.  I believe from what I have learned, that means high temperature with a torch.

Can you tell me what brand of solder, and what brand of torch you are using? I am not yet ready for a "professional" type set up so am looking for a butane type torch that will reach the temperatures needed.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Danny, I assume you cut the plates to size after the deadeyes are installed.  Very consistent.  The served shrouds look great under the macro lens.

Maury

as always, outstanding!! work Danny.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for dropping in again, and your kind comments John, Nils, Allan, Richard, Maury and Frank.

You said that you are silver soldering.  I believe from what I have learned, that means high temperature with a torch. Can you tell me what brand of solder, and what brand of torch you are using?

Richard, I'm not using a "professional" setup. I use a pencil torch from Bernzomatic, which uses butane. The solder paste is a medium melting point from Fusion.

Danny, I assume you cut the plates to size after the deadeyes are installed

Maury, I cut the plates to length after soldering and before drilling the holes.

Ratlines

Time for the "fun" job of tying the lower ratlines. I printed out a spacing template using AutoCAD and taped it behind the shrouds :

Ratlines 001.jpg

Ratlines 003.jpg

The lowest 6 and uppermost 6 ratlines don't tie off to the outer shrouds. There is some minor adjusting to be done which I'll do when they are all completed.

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

Just catching up, beautiful rigging work Sir, nice color choice too on the crows feet :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks very much John, Aldo and Richard. Good to see you back on the site Aldo :) .

Shroud Cleats

There are about two dozen Shroud Cleats needed as far as I can tell, so I've made them as a bit of a break from tying ratlines.

Instead of making them one at a time I've used the method learned from others to mass produce them. First I cut 26 pieces (a couple of spares) from 2.8 x 1.32mm stock at 7mm lengths. These were then glued together with PVA and allowed to dry. A bit of disc sanding got them evened up after this pic was taken :

Shroud Cleats 001.jpg

Next I cut a slot in each long end, and a shallower one for the centre lashing on the table saw :

Shroud Cleats 002.jpg

Then I clamped the whole section in my vise and did some final shaping with a needle file :

Shroud Cleats 003.jpg

Finally the section was dropped into a jar of Isopropyl Alcohol to dissolve the PVA. A little bit of rounding up will be done, and I'll stain the cleats a darker brown so they don't "jump" at you :

Shroud Cleats 004.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Pretty slick there Danny!  A technique I may have to borrow down the road if you don't mind.   B)

Cheers and I hope you and yours have a Happy New Year

:cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Danny ,

your shroud cleat fabrication is great,...., Thanks for sharing

are you going to tumble them afterwards ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you again George, Caroline and Nils. There wasn't any need to tumble the cleats Nils, they turned out very good after I rounded the edges a bit with a file. Here's a pic of them fitted to the foremast shrouds :

Shroud Cleats.jpg

I see that I've bent one of the rail stanchions a bit - I'll straigten them all when the model is complete as they get a bit of a knock every now and then.

Cheers, Danny

Mizzen Topmast Shrouds

There are three pairs of shrouds on the mizzen topmast and one backstay which is the 2nd "leg" of the aftmost pair of shrouds. These are fitted around the mast top in similar fashion to the lower shrouds :

Mizzen Topmast Shrouds 002.jpg

Mizzen Topmast Shrouds 003.jpg

The backstay is fitted to a small stool aft of the mizzen channel :

Mizzen Topmast Shrouds 005.jpg

Cheers, Danny