CDW

TBM3 Avenger by CDW - Trumpeter - 1:32 scale

Just now, Old Collingwood said:

Cant wait for the mossie    for obvious reasons.

OC.

I'm looking forward to that 1:32 Wingnut Wings Lancaster that's coming out sometime this year.The prototype looks amazing. No aftermarket needed for that bad boy but it will require a lot of space to display it. 🙂

You mean you don't have the 1/24th Airfix Mosquito stashed in the back somewhere? That would be a true monster. You would probably feel like you were building the real thing.

What did you use to apply the graffiti?

Edited by lmagna

Just now, lmagna said:

You mean you don't have the 1/24th Airfix Mosquito stashed in the back somewhere? That would be a true monster. You would probably feel like you were building the real thing.

Hmmmm...no I never bought that one. Airfix has come a long way in recent years, improving their products. At one time, buying an Airfix kit was hit or miss. Sometimes they released some real stinkers. Some of those 1:24 kits they produced didn't fit well at all and I didn't want to take a chance on the big Mossie. It could be a great kit but I just don't know. Big for sure!

According to some Utube reviews it has a few problems both in design and related to it's massive size. But it seems everyone feels that with care it builds into a really nice and certainly impressive model.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:57 PM, FriedClams said:

Wonderful work on building the radial CDW - so crisp and clean.  The engine has a great look and feel due to your coloring skills - the tubing/manifold looks very realistic.  I would be very interested to know your coloring process.  I look forward to future updates.

Gary

I meant to expound on this question, but almost forgot. Sorry about that.

The old Gunze line of paints is now called Mr. Color. In the Mr. Color range are a set called Mr. Metal Color. For engines, I mainly use iron, aluminum, copper, and others from the range as necessary. I first paint the engine by spraying on a flat black base, then I dry brush using the appropriate Mr. Metal Colors. For the engine cylinders, iron. For the crankcase, aluminum. For the valve covers and push rods, I use Tamiya semi-gloss black. The ignition ring is Mr. Metal Color copper, while other parts are Tamiya acrylics. The exhaust manifolds are painted with Ammo Mig burnt exhaust. Most everything painted gets a wash of black and/or brown. The ignition wires are stripped scrap electrical wire painted with Tamiya acrylic.

Hope this helps. If you think of something more specific, just ask and I'll do my best to answer. 

Thanks for the info on your paint choices CDW.  I have used Mr. Surfacer 500 and 1000, but I’ve never tried their paint line.  I’ll have to check out their “metal color“ products as it clearly produces some excellent results, at least in your skilled hands.  Enjoying your log - very nice work.

Gary

Just now, FriedClams said:

Thanks for the info on your paint choices CDW.  I have used Mr. Surfacer 500 and 1000, but I’ve never tried their paint line.  I’ll have to check out their “metal color“ products as it clearly produces some excellent results, at least in your skilled hands.  Enjoying your log - very nice work.

Gary

Thanks for the kind words Gary, but the Mr Metal Color paints are very easy to use. They excel at dry brushing as they contain very finely ground metal pigments. The more your use your (dry) brush, the metal color pops out. Very similar in some ways to the Testors Metalizer paints that were popular years ago (if you're familiar with those) but better.

A dry run to see if the cockpit/bomb bay/gunner stations fit correctly into the fuselage halves. So far, so good. 

There remains the ventral gunner's station and tail wheel compartment before the fuselage halves can be closed up.

No doubt, this is the best opportunity to see the internal details as I'm sure much of it will not be seen after the halves are closed.

DSCN3474.jpg.73782571177fb2652833a46af9750c3f.jpgDSCN3475.jpg.62f869488fe86c772d644703a5e7a64c.jpgDSCN3476.thumb.jpg.b24c930dbf2ba3db207780c4986fe11b.jpgDSCN3477.jpg.80b74fd12d1903a07797feee299d692b.jpgDSCN3478.thumb.jpg.13c08ff858fedc8b2eef2b9229ef53ee.jpgDSCN3479.thumb.jpg.d35dea69d5b046a7dfcf1b1868dfd6f8.jpg

Superb work Craig. I really like this build as it's one of my preferred eras of aircraft, carrier borne fighters and bombers both US  and Japanese. 

OMG I just looked at the photos on my tablet as usually I use my mobile and the detail you got ......!!!!

So once again SUPERB work

Edited by Edwardkenway

In the middle of my hobby fun, chores around the house have gone front and center. I have some things to take care of that are due, so must spend some days finishing those up before I can return to this big bird.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a set of canopy masks to arrive from England and paint from New Hampshire.

As MacArthur said, I shall return.