FINISHED - TBM3 Avenger by CDW - Trumpeter - 1:32 scale

CDW

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

I need to quit stopping in here Craig

Every time I do it seems to thin my wallet a little more. My wife is beginning to think I have a mistress!:D All of these high tek models and after market stuff seem to require a lot of high tek stuff to make the best use of them!

I think a mistress would cost less, Lou.   :D:D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I think a mistress would cost less, Lou.   :D:D

You are probably right. 

Here are a few more possibilities for masking Denis. Not as expensive as the ones OC posted and different than Craig's

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/B-17F-1-72-1-1.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eduard-1-72-B-17F-Flying-Fortress-Pintura-Mascara-CX333/333392576326?hash=item4d9fbeff46:g:vmsAAOSwE91dx6cT

They are still overseas though.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

:omg: ....that is so cool!  I saved the image.......I'll put it in my Popeye folder :)     it's getting quite large!  thanks a bunch ! :) 

thanks as well for all these links....I was looking through Scalemates last night.  the only one I came across was for another model / manufacturer.  I started to look through the Revell site,  but it isn't what it used to be.  I was gonna go to Revell / Germany next,  but by then I was fed up.   oh........and I looked through Mega Hobby too........I probably used a wrong product description.  really appreciate it gents.......I'll check 'em out ;)   I really like how your ball turret looks......I showed the admiral 'cuz she asked me what I was looking for.   now that she's seen what I need it for,  she'll stop growling at me:unsure:   I bought two books through her Amazon account the other day.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 2/10/2020 at 11:02 PM, CDW said:

I'm looking forward to that 1:32 Wingnut Wings Lancaster that's coming out sometime this year.The prototype looks amazing. No aftermarket needed for that bad boy but it will require a lot of space to display it. 🙂

Going to need a hangar for that CD :P

On 2/6/2020 at 8:44 AM, CDW said:

This is a really big aircraft. Trumpeter provides sufficient detail where required and it does not need much of anything in the way of aftermarket items IMO. I will add some wiring and such, but it's nice right out of the box.

I have the 1/24 Zero from Trump built OOB and the Pit was excellent as is.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:00 AM, lmagna said:

You mean you don't have the 1/24th Airfix Mosquito stashed in the back somewhere? That would be a true monster. You would probably feel like you were building the real thing.

What did you use to apply the graffiti?

I P/U one some years back for cheap it makes my Hk B-25 look small.I wish I could get into the Navy side of things in the PTO but they are all blue and grey unlike the AAF.I like the build and you are not cheating in 1/32 you just get/we see it better.:P ;) Kevin

Finally completed the painting of our house last week, but this week got started on our detached garage. This morning, visited an outlet called, Habitat for Humanity, where they sell new and used home/building construction materials for charity fund raising. They have excellent bargains on a large variety of useful items. I picked up a brand new solid core door for my garage for a measly $45...my kind of deal. Brought it home and installed it and painted it, then pressure washed our garage in preparation of painting. Tomorrow we may get rain so I could get more modeling time in if I'm lucky.

Here's what I've been doing in between other chores. Wing construction. The wings have some working features built in including a wing fold mechanism, working flaps and ailerons, machine gun and ammo box/chute details, removable gun access covers. I don't care much for working features on my models, but will probably pose my flaps as dropped. I am picturing the wing fold mechanism just so you can see it but plan to glue the wings in the extended position. Photo etch strips cover the gaps where the wings close together. In the photos, you can see one of the strips in position with the others to be added.

The Avenger wings have a massive chord length, likely meaning they give lots of lift for heavy bomb loads.

DSCN3536.jpg.85222e02b52bd0d0630f68b4ae08fea7.jpgDSCN3537.jpg.b41ca029efa9c88a46fc47faad733fc7.jpgDSCN3538.jpg.7d9e9af24b8f7d150da9f2705f1fcec5.jpgDSCN3539.jpg.cfadd0a0b9df530737dfe26d7210f4df.jpgDSCN3540.jpg.6fc7c9abc73bb652e3107a93e09d6dcb.jpg  

not a huge fan of moving parts either........if they fit good and snug....great.  the ailerons on the Nine o Nine keep falling....gotta adjust 'em every now and again.  besides,  I don't play with them on a daily basis ;)   great start on the wings!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

oh....I showed the admiral the picture you posted for me.........then I showed her how you were using the masking......justify buying it.   she noticed your paint rack........she likes that ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 2/25/2020 at 8:38 PM, popeye the sailor said:

oh....I showed the admiral the picture you posted for me.........then I showed her how you were using the masking......justify buying it.   she noticed your paint rack........she likes that ;) 

The paint racks came from a vendor on Etsy. He laser cuts MDF material and you assemble them yourself. Very simple and well fitting, cheap. They are made to fit the small Tamiya size bottles or you can buy them to fit the smaller Vallejo style bottles.

Here, I've attached the wings to the fuselage and am slowly adding the necessary parts so that I can begin painting the model. Soon.

DSCN3541.jpg.55064eccecfda2cab154765306b8dfca.jpgDSCN3542.thumb.jpg.c23060cb8524b29e36736d72bee599ac.jpgDSCN3543.thumb.jpg.cdb63f97e5478300624eab75cc44a23b.jpg

what is that flap of skin at the tail fin?.....are you feeding her enough?   quite an impressive model ;)    look'in good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 minutes ago, CDW said:

The tri-color US Navy scheme requires a lot of masking. Would be nice if there was a pre cut paint mask available. In hindsight, I could have cut my own paint masks much easier if I had done that before starting construction, using my kit parts as a pattern. Next time.

Getting closer to the finish line now.

DSCN3544.jpg.add7a212d385701e4bbdcb041d8a9b39.jpgDSCN3545.jpg.d397102a975cf685a227f07a869e93ea.jpgDSCN3546.jpg.835e6a7f45f1725e53d36f0048cd0570.jpgDSCN3547.jpg.d845036076d633c555a94556da42192f.jpg

Looking fine craig,   how long do you do you keep the masks on before removing them?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking fine craig,   how long do you do you keep the masks on before removing them?

OC.

With the paint/thinner I'm using, about an hour and the masks can come off safely.

However, because of the tri color scheme, I will add more masks before the masks you see here will come off. Probably later tonight or tomorrow.

Paint used: Mr Color with Mr Color 400 leveling thinner

9 minutes ago, CDW said:

With the paint/thinner I'm using, about an hour and the masks can come off safely.

However, because of the tri color scheme, I will add more masks before the masks you see here will come off. Probably later tonight or tomorrow.

Paint used: Mr Color with Mr Color 400 leveling thinner

Do you think the masking tape I put on mine  yesterday can come off now  after that Tamiya Rattle can black semi gloss.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

yes

Thanks mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looks like the patient is down for major surgery Craig! For once I am appreciating the monotone OD scheme of the Vietnam era Huey. I would be lost if I was trying to duplicate what you are doing.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, CDW said:

The tri-color US Navy scheme requires a lot of masking. Would be nice if there was a pre cut paint mask available.

And I've got this to come,🤔 I may, no, will be asking lots of questions 😉

Looking good though Craig 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

15 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

And I've got this to come,🤔 I may, no, will be asking lots of questions 😉

Looking good though Craig 

Look your color guide over very carefully. Use your kit parts to trace the appropriate masking scheme on plain paper, then you can transfer that to masking film. Look for self adhesive masking film such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZRTXXLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

If you look at my model, the color changes follow the wing root where it meets the fuselage. On the lower wing, it's an off-white color. The fuselage immediately adjacent to the wing is intermediate blue. On the upper wing, it's navy blue (dark blue). the fuselage is intermediate blue where the wing touches the fuselage. This can be done with masking tape as I'm doing, but it would have been much easier if I had used the masking film approach.

Thanks Craig, I can get that from Amazon uk. Hopefully Dauntless  parts should turn up in a week or so.👍😃

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

paint looks great.........very nice!  love the color :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

paint looks great.........very nice!  love the color :) 

Very nice work mate  - love the sharp paint details.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looking great, Craig.  I've got a question... is the turret all black or is the lighting?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Looking great, Craig.  I've got a question... is the turret all black or is the lighting?   

The top tri color is US navy blue, a very dark blue. The reason the ball turret looks all dark is because of the painting masks in place. Once masking is removed, all you will see is a dark blue framework with clear panels.