FINISHED - TBM3 Avenger by CDW - Trumpeter - 1:32 scale

CDW

I got a Aztek model similar to this with all kinds of tips from a fellow forum member a while back, but have been having problems getting the connection at the handle to conform to the compressor fitting I am using, so it has just been sitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-A470L-Single-Double-Airbrush/dp/B00NPBMHFW

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

15 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I have been looking at  Airbrush starter kits  but how  convenient are they to use in a  living room  - noise etc?

I bought what is probably the clone of this airbrush, at a much lower price, from my local hobby shop. 

https://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Multi-purpose-Dual-action-Airbrush-Set/dp/B004KNDR08/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1I6N65SNA0WM6&keywords=airbrush+compressor+kit&qid=1583716913&s=arts-crafts&sprefix=airbrush+compresser%2Carts-crafts%2C209&sr=1-24

While I am pretty certain it would be looked down on as any kind of investment in the future of airbrushing, it has done all of the painting so far on my Huey. I have had some drying issues with Acrylic and I am a little worried about how well it will do when it comes time for large areas like the fuselage but the compressor is so quiet you can easily talk over the noise.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 minute ago, CDW said:

I have no experience with it whatsoever.

I know as much knowledge about Airbrushes  as I do  Knitting  - never ever  picked one up or used one, it took me  fifty odd years to even use a Rattle can, everything else till now has been painted using  brushes  including  1/144  scale airliner kits  like B747s.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Get one like one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Tank-Tattoo-Nail-Tool-TC20T-Set-1-5-HP-Airbrush-Compressor-Air-Demand/323506475598?epid=19032708877&hash=item4b527d124e:g:lrYAAOSwnbZYHsfY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-HP-Airbrush-Compressor-Kit-W-23L-Air-Tank-For-Tattoo-Nail-Painting-Tool/173917474491?hash=item287e4a0ebb:g:lrAAAOSwKmtc7qkZ

They have a nice regulator, and are fairly quiet. The owner of Badger Airbrushes, says that they are the same as the ones he and others sell, built in the same factory, just without the added cost of buying a name brand label. The small block type compressors have poor pressure regulation.

Just now, thibaultron said:

Get one like one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Tank-Tattoo-Nail-Tool-TC20T-Set-1-5-HP-Airbrush-Compressor-Air-Demand/323506475598?epid=19032708877&hash=item4b527d124e:g:lrYAAOSwnbZYHsfY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-HP-Airbrush-Compressor-Kit-W-23L-Air-Tank-For-Tattoo-Nail-Painting-Tool/173917474491?hash=item287e4a0ebb:g:lrAAAOSwKmtc7qkZ

They have a nice regulator, and are fairly quiet. The owner of Badger Airbrushes, says that they are the same as the ones he and others sell, built in the same factory, just without the added cost of buying a name brand label. The small block type compressors have poor pressure regulation.

My compressor is one similar to the first one you posted, Ron. The one with the tank attached. It's not terribly noisy, and it doesn't constantly run when you press the airbrush trigger. Without an air tank, the compressor will constantly run as soon as you press the trigger.

Suffered a bit of a setback today as while I was handling the Avenger model, butter-fingered it, then watched it fall from chest-high to land smack down on the ceramic tile floor. It broke away both horizontal stabilizers as well as the rudder separated from the vertical stabilizer. In addition, I lost two rocket mounts and had to scratch build two replacements. It could have been worse...lots worse, so I am thankful the damage was minimal considering how far it fell and the hard floor it landed on.

In the photos, I am dry fitting the underwing components and the bomb bay doors. Note the aircraft has two radar array antennae on each side of the wings. Didn't realize the Avenger was radar equipped until I built this model. There are still numerous detail items to add as well as decals and paint details. I might leave the rockets off, but have not decided yet.

DSCN3569.jpg.5b3d3844c9b93fcf27773565071a0d3d.jpgDSCN3570.jpg.cf47c569460cdcf3eadf3656e36edfb3.jpgDSCN3571.jpg.6ca0565aff8ca906c47971c7021e300d.jpgDSCN3572.jpg.0ac1edb5b86a574c33ad9ba592b03799.jpgDSCN3573.jpg.4bf9577a352eb546ad5be5697b63cf50.jpgDSCN3574.jpg.8a44213196c26933145b4d00a356a827.jpgDSCN3575.jpg.c6885afaeddf97b1fbf2fee3528675b9.jpg

Sorry to hear that craig  - but well recovered  she is looking superb.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Sorry to read about that wreck, Craig. But a heck of a recovery.  It looks good.  It's a big bird.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm glad you were able to save it and carry on with the build Craig 👍 It's looking good!!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

13 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

What are the ones in the center, saying Acrylic on the glass?

Yves

Those are the Mr Color "Acrysion" acrylic paints. My local supplier carried the Acrysion line before they acquired the Mr Color lacquer paints which is why I have both sets. Acrysion paints are similar to Tamiya acrylics, in fact, I use the Mr Color 400 thinners to reduce both brands of paint. In my opinion, the Mr Color 400 leveling thinner is the best that's out there on the market. It should be noted these thinners are not compatible with some acrylics such as Vallejo for example. It will instantly curdle that paint, so test to be sure. I do know for sure they work with great superiority for Mr Color and Tamiya paints.

Outstanding, one vote for no rockets. JMHO, she represents the "torpedo bomber" nomenclature without the rockets hanging off the wings.

Thanks for sharing your project.

Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Looking smart now she is attached to terra firma.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I always liked that color scheme, Navy Blue over Sea Blue over Haze Grey..... Occasionally sprayed but usually hand painted.... I love the faded navy blue effect looks perfect......

The first Navy aircraft I ever built was the Monogram 1/48th scale TBM..... 

Beautiful Job......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Monogram 1/48th scale TBM..... 

Small world Mine was the Dauntless, followed by the Wildcat, followed by the Avenger. Loved them all. They had all kinds of moving parts back then that also made them ultra playable.:D Great kits for the day.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

29 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I always liked that color scheme, Navy Blue over Sea Blue over Haze Grey..... Occasionally sprayed but usually hand painted.... I love the faded navy blue effect looks perfect......

The first Navy aircraft I ever built was the Monogram 1/48th scale TBM..... 

Beautiful Job......

Thanks for the comments, and glad you visited this thread.

It's strange how certain model kits can quickly transport us back to specific places and times. I share those memories of the great Monogram 1:48 scale kits and vividly remember the old shopping places where I bought them. Particularly memorable is the smell of the plastic when I first opened those kits and how excited I was to get started on them. They were one of the very best things a dollar could buy back then (to me).

Craig, whatever you need. I got minimal time in C models, pretty much phased out of the force by the time I got back to the States.  Most of my time was in E models. And I still have my F-4E flight manual and weapons manual.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, CDW said:

They were one of the very best things a dollar could buy back then (to me).

Kept those busy hands out of other mischief

6 hours ago, CDW said:

vividly remember the old shopping places where I bought them

ToyLand out at KAFB  my Dad would take me there I built a B-17 for him to go out at Dolan Hall.;) Kevin

14 hours ago, CDW said:

She's got legs and knows how to use them.

Looking great, CDW.  I'm glad you were able to repair the damage.   Now about that ZZTop quote.. thanks for the earbug.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I started prepping and masking the main canopy pieces tonight. It will probably take me the better part of my modeling time tomorrow to finish the masking and painting of it. I have some chores to do tomorrow that cuts my modeling time short.

My baby girl (she's 22) leaves in another week for New Hampshire to finish up her schooling. It sure is going to be an adjustment for me when she's gone. I'm dreading it, but I won't tell her that. Guess I'll spend more modeling time to chase the blues away.

FB_IMG_1453837312090.jpg.65037539e4fe40300d7544abda3a6239.jpg

A proud papa! :)

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

outside of that one rocket rack,  you wouldn't even know she hit the floor........ looking splendid! :imNotWorthy:   nicely detailed and all!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nothing like being a proud daddy. Is the gavel and robe indicative of her major? Or is she just keeping you in line?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey