Clotilda by popeye the sailor - Steingraeber - 1:60 scale - slave ship - modified Agilis kit

neither is mine J........darker stains can hide sin too ;)   it's the glue blotches that will show up like a sore thumb.  so paint is going to be my choice as well.   I was going to start planking the deck........laid the first one,  and then thought that I'd better paint the inner bulwarks first.  I'm going with a gray there......but I used an open bottle of Billing paint and it looks terrible,  so I'm going to go over it with a rattle can.  one thing I noticed,  is that the gray seeped through the cracks.....showing through the outer hull.

thanks Robert........glad I got used to making those 'quickie stands' ;)    did a lot of it when I first started building wooden ships...didn't have the slips I do now

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks......it's not my best job,  but it came out better than expected considering the kit.

well folks.......I said I'd hopefully have some evening progress for ya......so here goes.   at the moment......I'm like a kid in a candy store......bopp'in from idea to idea.   really not ideal for a head fulla sawdust...it'll knock the stuff'in outa ya!  I was going to repaint the inner bulwarks,  but the heck with it.......I found myself masking for the upper outer hull paint.

36419145_1.jpg.d90f99cc4514ad2f9d5469f3e2f290f4.jpg

of course,  with the hull upside down,  I expected the upper surface of the rub rail to get missed.  I decanted some of the paint into a small bottle and tried to brush it on,  but the glue marks were showing up.   still wearing the rubber gloves,  I damned the torpedoes and held the hull while touching all this up.  I tried to cover the deck,  but I stink at it......hate it {never used to be}.  there is part of the center deck plank run to the hold,  but I'm hoping I miss it.

1344130733_2.jpg.525749ad87a7646029fc52373791f6ae.jpg

terrible job on the inner bulwarks huh.........that will get another coat of paint.  I'm gonna make the adjustment to the stand too...the dremel is in the garage.  you know......I bought another accessory kit for the dremel,  and I hardly use it.  Gibbs hates the sound.  anyway........giving this plenty of time to dry,  it was re masked,  and the bottom was done.

100284206_3.jpg.839757e9fc841688dede17a3063bb953.jpg

pay no attention to the clothes pinned behemoth behind her..........the only flaw is at the bow.  gotta touch that up.

1236973716_4.jpg.ee1bbf85be6d27170dd34643394a75fe.jpg   918969398_5.jpg.e65a9d882217951109c99724612dcfd9.jpg

I'll let her set overnight.....gives me time to work on the stand.

880531475_6.jpg.cbbb085fcd588bfbe77d190cad1f353b.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

hello Richard.......welcome,  and thanks for the kind comment :)   this is the boat that isn't what it is.......a reminder that I need to change the title.   always a pleasure !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Sam and J......couldn't wait to get some paint on her.   not perfect,  but I'm happy with it :)   today,  I repainted the gray....that looks better now..............I laid a couple more sections of deck planking,  after making the adjustments on the stand.   the dark walnut looks Ok,  but is so dark the simulated calking can hardly be seen.  maybe getting more laid down will show more.  secondly,  some of the strips are warped,  so they have a curve to them.......great if I was doing a second planking,  but not in this case.   not sure how many are warped,  so I'm taking a gamble that I will have enough.  the kit only supplies one mast collar for the deck......I traced out a few others and cut one out.   they don't match the thickness of the original one,  so I cut out a second one to match them both.

I did another search for pictures of the Clotilda...........found a lot of pictures of the discovery of the ship,  but only drawings......and one portrait with the name spelt differently...the Clotilde.   I guess the National Geographic picture is all I have to go by.  I'll keep look'in :)   thanks to you all for hitt'in the like button.....really appreciate it.  don't be suprised though if you notice that I changed the title........can't seem to come up with a good name for the second hull.......Agilis is as good as any I guess ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I made a bit more progress on the Clotilda..........yea,  I may as well call her that.  that is the ship I've decided to model her as.  I haven't done anything on the Agilis,  although I have begun to plank the frame.  confusing I know,  but as I get further down the road,  the fog will clear.  I did start to plank the deck....I will continue with the dark planking.

354482514_1.jpg.9676e3408c4a62cc994fb4e4677d232d.jpg

the mast collars,  as supplied in the kit...I made one for both masts.  before I go any further,  I need to cut out a second hold.  I'll try and keep it between the bulkheads....the forward opening,  I'll just paint the bulkhead black,  rather than chance mess'in her up.  I wish I had done something before I glued the platform down :default_wallbash:

250132109_2.jpg.db20c5312ef2a526cbeb2630a6b1ef7e.jpg

usually,  I have the cabin structures done,  so I can map out the deck.......I like to plank around the structures rather than glue them on top of it.  it just makes for a neater appearance.  so I began to make the aft structure,  using the supplied parts.   the back and sides of the cabin are 1 piece,  but they are die scored...you just bend them to shape the cabin.  wouldn't you know it........the die cuts are not straight....the darn thing is so warped!

so I scratch built one........already had another all traced out.   I made sure that the cuts I was going to make were square with the bottom line.........made another front piece,  but a tad wider than the kit supplied part.

823300553_3.jpg.376014b958f26f39244bc35c06091f83.jpg

a little sanding is needed to further square things up,  and then I can make a roof.   I also began to make the hold frames.   they supplied a metal piece that looks like grating,  but I don't like it....so I dug out some of the grating I made for the United States.

1175994859_7.JPG.edd74ac790f90dd4ad66bae55656c901.JPG1976875512_8.JPG.a2d6c52ea3eec12841a61d2130138f45.JPG

you really don't want to know how I made these.........for the curious,  it can be found in the Revell U.S.S. United States build.   it's likely deep in the archives,  so leave a trail of bread crumbs or sawdust,  and we'll come and find you in a week or so...I made these February,  2013.  these look perfect.......what is seen in the picture of the magazine.  

450310833_4.jpg.d8df0009f3cff3c6f755f59f25b90291.jpg

started to gt busy with the planking again.......

371183775_5.jpg.cccd6cec77c3babf58d0d027db247166.jpg

but,  I could not stop thinking about the cabin.   cutting out a piece of 1/32 sheet,  the roof was added to it.

1806816832_6.jpg.0e48a738d5efda8e65a808c01a1ce543.jpg

yea....that's my 'dinty' on the roof.........darn CA was leaking!   that's the first of the two holds.   curiosity was starting to get at me........I recall from the picture that ........1 - the cabin doesn't look like that.   and 2 - there are two cabins on deck.    the height of the fore deck is another question.......where I'm using a windlass,  I need to know if I should raise the bow bulwarks at all.   looking at the picture.........nope,  wrong direction......so I won't be using it.   can't say if I will use it for the Agilis either.  shouldn't be a total loss........I'll see if my idea of portholes will work on the cabin.   I have a huge assortment of eyelets.......for belts,  shoes,  and the like.  I've been able to use them for portholes and hawse holes for past projects........thought I might put a few in on this project.   I really need to toss out those CHEAP drill bits!

33689380_7.jpg.b2a811d7e7763b8826d083a1f85f2259.jpg

the piece is glued back in place and sanded.......I need to refine the hole now.  we'll see where tomorrow takes us ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You are aware I"m sure than most descriptions of the ship depict her as a for -n- aft rigged topsail schooner....

But there are several people that describe her alternatively as a square rigged carrack, or even a three masted square rigged sloop.... (too big to be what they have found)

The size of the wreck and the fact that it only shows the bones for a single deck with hold heavily favors the schooner size and rig....

I would say a topsail schooner rig is probably the most accurate....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Nice progress Popeye...your jumbo fleet is taking shape:D decking looks real good, below is the lini to your USS United State s  build

Edited by jct

the article in the National Geographic depicts her as a schooner....I actually like both concepts.......schooner and Brigg.  that's why I'm building the two........the other part is that I'm as crazy as a loon  :D   there wasn't much left of her.......if she was found right away,  they would have only found what was below the waterline.  she was sailed to a remote cove and burned.  I also found another article that gives the same account.  other than the N.G. article and picture,  I have found no other pictures of her.......just a large mural that suggests her mispelt name and nothing more.  I try not to go by drawings and paintings though....too much artistic licensing and embellishment.   I could go with other known ships of the same cut,  but the differences would be there.

100_9006.thumb.JPG.81f6efa175cc0965a1d4fecc90c0959c.JPG

wow J.........you made back to the surface!   thanks for posting the link to the log....I would have done it,  but I figured that if anyone was curious enough,  they'd look it up.  that and it's another way to highlight the past projects that have been undertaken here.  there are some really good logs that never see the light of day.........heck.....even I stop and look into one when I check to see what pages my other projects are on :)    2013.... has it been that long?!?!?!?!  that's OK....soon.........that's all I can say on the time line for the moment.   last year........considering the dating......maybe TWO years ago,  I bought the Revell U.S.S. Constitution...believe it or not.....$15 dollars!  while building the hull frame for the Agilis,  I was thinking of her fit......and I thought of cannons {I really should start the second log now}  I recalled assembling the bow chaser for the United States,  so I found that one and got out the parts for the one in the Connie kit.   while I was doing that,  the hull halves for the Connie was laying on the long table {around me.......things should NOT be lying around.........they are apt to be played with}.  I found myself removing flash and later,  cementing the hull together.  so now it sits on the long table.....she so massive {yes....I am salivating}.   I though of something that was discussed some time ago,  but I have not seen anyone undertake the concept.............let's just say that I'm doing some research :ph34r:

I did get back to the Clotilda in the evening......fixed the porthole dilemma....

1899765279_1.jpg.753c5c1fac011a6f945d40c29d96b9c1.jpg

I think it would be better,  that I assemble the cabins with strips rather than sheet.  they need to peer over the bulwarks more,  thus be a bit taller.   I used these eyelets on my Gundalow project.......filled in with window maker,  they made excellent portholes.  I have them in different sizes....in brown,  white,  and shiny chrome...they can be painted to match any decor.   I also did a little bit more on the deck planking.  I'm not bothering to do margins,  so it will be a lot of creative cutting.

1950930636_2.jpg.a82d44f7ac3b15031dbc10c58c38e39e.jpg

the hold I made yesterday......fails.........not totally square 'cuz I did it freehand,  and my cuts were a little crooked because of it too.   I still have a habit of doing things by hand.......silly because I bought one of those choppers and I should be using it.   I'll have more later :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

wow that has come on a long way since i looked in a few days ago.

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks J and Kevin........thanks also to all who looked in.   I went further with the planking.......we still went out for the groceries....errands wait for no man {or virus}.  I put together my portable jig........it's a jig and I set it up on the port side of the table :D 

648251664_3.jpg.3288d5afdc466ec84b0bb399a934a8f3.jpg

it's quite simple really.....this hold looks much better.  once the hold was dry,  I used it to trace out the second hold.  two things here.......1- it's supposed to be located aft of the main mast.  putting it there would have made it cramped for the aft cabin and the wheel house {box},  so I bit it and moved it up.  it does look logical.  2- I wanted to plank around these structures....I traced around the outside and inner dimensions of the hold,  but I don't know why......I boxed in the forward hold.  I later said the heck with it.....

229947225_4.jpg.0e5f1f45201bc23df7cc689ceb544170.jpg

with the first hold done,  the second one was made.  the first hold got fitted with the grating.

2093274818_5.jpg.e6507178ddd87dabc894de93450436ea.jpg

at this point,  I went totally aloof and ran the planking all the way to the transom.

2076331581_6.jpg.962ff43bbed9acf8e6351f0dad640c4c.jpg

I forgot to cut out for the main mast......I'll have to go prospecting later.   the two grates.......now both have been fitted with the grating......they both got a coat of flat black

1767806042_7.jpg.cd0bbdd17103d33c6ba49e7e7ad35b35.jpg

here they are in place on the deck..  more planking has been added.

1195269865_8.jpg.f08395b5572aa314b95348837c6f788d.jpg

the bow has been done up to a certain point.......now to whip up a fore deck.  in the picture,  the fore deck is tucked under the cap rails......no extra will be needed for the bulwarks.  I'm surprised that there isn't a break water,  or railing..........but...it is what it is ;) 

458645075_9.jpg.301b95e7b89562c363189814ce8d6278.jpg

the fore deck will cover the first two bulkheads.   the height that it is to be,  will be perfect for the windlass.  I got it out on the bluenose kit.......gotta order fittings for that project anyway ;)  cutting the deck out,  cutting out the posts...filing and beveling.......and we have the start of a fore deck.  I will be planking it too.

1553757894_10.jpg.1004ea6b9cbcaa38eb0d284da6ad4540.jpg

I may try and narrow the windlass down a bit.....might be too wide.   more to come soon.   the rest of the city may be home bound......but I have to work tomorrow.   I should feel lucky......but I'm concerned.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

She's looking fine Denis. You've got some nice detailing!😏

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Nice D, the fore deck looks good, will there be a raised deck in the stern as well?  Just curious how would they have operated the windless under the foredeck?

I'm not sure J........but that is what is under the fore deck.....no raised deck at the stern { I'll save that for the other one}.   it may not be that far under either.....it's just a dry fit.  if I were to guess,  it's probably a ratchet/pawl set up operated by a lever of sorts.  it might be too modern as well.....I may need to scratch build something to this effect.

thanks Ed :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John........it may not be the exact replica of the Clotilda that I was hoping for.........I think this isn't a good basis for the model.  but, I'll try to get her as close as possible :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It looks good there, and you cant make out much detail in the painting, just wondering what type of mechanism they could use to operate it. she's shaping up nice

yea J.........since the Clotilda was built in 1855,  I'm thinking that the Bluenose windlass would be too modern.  I may need to scratch build it....I'll look around though and see what I can get.   the old time windlass was a locking pawl set up.  when locked,  the bar could be move to another hole.....manually operated.  I will move it out from under the fore deck to make it more functional.  I tried to find pictures of it,  but so far have hit a blank.  I've also been looking for a rigging plan.

I have trying very hard to get caught up with all the logs I view.......it's a very daunting task when the table calls.  so I have been bouncing around from computer to table.  the deck planking commenced.......first filling out the starboard side.

2052850036_1.jpg.92580d84d1088811b8c009e2f8a81018.jpgI also cut out the main mast hole

2099747435_2.jpg.97540281d2e4670556ca46bd915fbb44.jpg  390665138_3.jpg.cb1d35b829854d9468996530dd2aee1c.jpg

then it was the port side's turn.....in the beginning,  I didn't think I liked the color.....but now that it's complete,  I've sort of cozied up to it.   gave it a light sanding.  the simulated calking was done with a Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen.

1116485542_4.jpg.f1301aa5beab083ea1af1838460765db.jpg  2137850993_5.jpg.ad90d8020aca0150086e19c1a75fbbae.jpg

1048204994_6.jpg.c1ce75e96bbed2e0e0e46c84dc1af4fb.jpg

the trimming wasn't too bad......I may even have enough for the second ship.  I added another planking strake to her today as well.  so there are three strakes on both sides......the supplied planking from the kit is very hard to work with.  from what I've done of it,  the sanding is going to be tough too.   what can I say........it's petrified wood! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

what can I say........it's petrified wood! 

Breakout the diamond dust paper that'll sand it smooth.... (Flintstone's manual on petrified wood ship building, chapter 27. (edited by Rubble and associates, 1st engraving 23 million BC)

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

That kit planking is old oak...I had some luck starting with 80 and working up to 300 for the deck on mine, but it was a pita...yur deck looks real good, gonna leave it natural I assume 

Hey D.... You may have already seen these pics of the Clotilda, most I've seen depicts her as a topsail schooner,  not sure if you're gonna find a definitive answer...less someone out there has more data??

1872057064_Clotilda2.jpg.ce777d9be54dcb1f6bf1d1a842be7e1c.jpg1002448534_Clotilda3.jpg.21d887b0c0db5de7483d7faa82871cca.jpg1647018204_Clotilda4.jpg.343120ede7e07356594de45d03c16c90.jpgClotilda.jpg.b8a0dce56e687e52108cf924a597cba7.jpg

yes J....I've seen those pictures........did you read the name plate on the mural?  they spelt her name as Clotilde........if you do a search with this spelling,  you get pretty much the same results.  the deck will be lefty in this color...no changes there.  I even have enough for the other deck :)    they have her as a schooner,  but I think I'll go the extra mile with a top sail schooner......I like the look ;) 

275762806_schoonerrig2.jpg.ae09f95e5dbcf86c5dc4fecfa19271c6.jpg

I want to do sails.......she'll have about ten sails.  the hard part is that I don't have any plans for them,  so I will have to ballpark the shape and size and go with it.  you are right though........there aren't any real pictures of her.

as for the other hull......I'll use as much of the 'old oak' as I can.  she will certainly have armor plating ;)    I want to use as much of the original wood as I can.  that pine wood....looks to be 1 mm thick.....I'd like to use that on a ship that I won't paint.......gonna be some radical wood grain :) 

I'll just use emery cloth egilman..........the stuff they use on dry wall.  it won't clog ;) :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I want to do sails.......she'll have about ten sails.  the hard part is that I don't have any plans for them,  so I will have to ballpark the shape and size and go with it.  you are right though........there aren't any real pictures of her.

Ok so the ship was built when? cause it will probably use the sail rig in common use at that point in history, say 1820-30's or so?...

Try this....

And scroll down to La Toulonnaise 1823..... 

or scroll all the way to the bottom and take a look at their schooner plan 19th century, it's of the Goleta which is even closer.... (kinda a general reference to topsail schooners at the height of their popularity)

Looks to be pretty close to what your building. I would say it would look the part....

Any way, that site should have a plan that will look real good..... some even have the rigging construction details

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

the Clotilda was built in 1855........her service span was very short - 1860.  I book marked the site.......the name sounds familiar....I wonder if it was the old forum site by that name.   I recall getting an email.....the owner either was very sick or he passed on.  it's been a while since I last looked into any of those sites.  I also belong to Ship Model Builder.  I belonged to other sites,  but I dropped them due to various reasons and I reside here.  I have Peterson's book as well.......there is a whole chapter on the top sail schooner.   couldn't hurt to have a rigging sheet though ;)    thanks for the link!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

No problem my friend, I like to do research.... (even back to the age of petrified wood, of which I have a fairly large chunk of sitting in the wife's flower garden, very very heavy stuff)

I have some white oak and philippine mahogany that was salvaged from old machinery shipping crates measured 12" x 12" at 16 feet long.... it ruined three carbide tipped saw blades cutting it down to manageable lengths/sizes to handle on my table saw.... It was like cutting steel..... you couldn't drive a nail into it either.... but man it made beautiful furniture......

The best part, they were free, given to me to get rid of them....

Edited by Egilman

Quote: