Clotilda by popeye the sailor - Steingraeber - 1:60 scale - slave ship - modified Agilis kit

Denis,

Went back and had a much better look through your log. - Project looks to be super well put together - Also grabbed a chair will follow along as well

Regards, 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

yup..... that's what I'm talking about....thanks!   since the model is 1:60.......using the table.......it comes up blank :D   {that's because 1:64 is exact scale being referenced to}.   that's OK though....these are useful to give an idea of model length.....not to mention that I've installed mast pots in the hull.   looking at the picture on the box,  it appears that the lengths given on the diagrams,  are the actual lengths used on the model.  the assembled masts look really tall.   I think the height is a bit overstated.

I have a feeling that there is no conversion chart for what I'm looking for..........the length of the mast segments for this scale.  I think I'm mistakenly referring the mast assembly as mast stepping........the term actually refers to the points that mast is set in the deck.  or my idea of mast pots.  

there's been a pause here,  although you'd never know it.  I started to read underhill's book,  but then I was distracted,  looking for information on the Wulfe Hound's finishing touches.  I've also begun assembling the second hull frame and adding more planking to the original hull.   more on this later.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

welcome Michael...........have I been gone that long????   I started to write my last post this morning........I have a feeling that the Alice in Wonderland concept is creeping in here :unsure:.  well anyway,   it's still early so you haven't missed too much........just profane syllables at the scroll saw.  glad to have ya follow'in along.......be sure to check out JCT's log on the same model....we're in on it together

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

34 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I have a feeling that the Alice in Wonderland concept is creeping in here :unsure:

just member what the dormouse said :D     

That chart will work if your changing from one scale to another...I used it alot to convert the 1/72 Hannah plans to the finished scale, whatever it turned out to be...you can use it to copy one of the plan drawings to a different scale, it will give you the expansion/reduction factor.

Was planking more today but got stalled at the stern...not sure how to run em...got to do more research, how did you decide to finish yours or are you not there yet?

Edited by jct

It's that rabbit hole scenario again :D

53 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I've also begun assembling the second hull frame and adding more planking to the original hull.   more on this later

You're doing TWO!!!😱

At least I'll know which one I'm catching up on, yours or J's

Edited by Edwardkenway
Adding word so it makes sense

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 minute ago, Edwardkenway said:

It's that rabbit hole scenario again :D.

Dats what this build has been like...least for me

2 minutes ago, jct said:

Dats what this build has been like...least for me

It's  fun watching you both doing the same build differently 👍😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 minute ago, Edwardkenway said:

It's  fun watching you both doing the same build differently 👍😃

We kinda thought it might be when we planned this, well if you want to call it a plan :D, Glad you're enjoying the show

thanks J for runn'in interference for me! :D  :D  :D    yea.......jee,  thanks Tim for showing us your model........the gentleman did a great job in building her {anyone who can decipher this load of bollocks is to be commended}!

as mentioned.......the hull frame is not a complete frame to begin with....I feels that parts are missing at the bow and stern.   I see he planked the model all the way to the edge of the bow stem...interesting observation.  it's great to see a model of this kit,  utilizing all of the supplied parts.....we can get a better sense of the kit  HEY!!!!!!  where in the blue blazes did he get 2 boats!!!!!!!!  I want two boats..............:ph34r:   feel free to add a few more pictures,  if you'd like ;) 

once you get away from the bulwarks J,  I found that the stern needs to be tapered.  this update will show you what needs to be done.  who knows,  it may be required to jog a plank back there or something.  we have to remember that this little girl has a small tookus ;)   first though I messed with the masts and steps some more.  the main mast step is already in place,  seeing that it sits on one of the rises in the keel.

251843031_1.jpg.5efed229ede2a13ff33fe24e6c2ac190.jpg

for the fore mast,  I had to raise it up some,  so it won't interfere with the planking.

2127061065_2.jpg.6ce23dafb65ec2fc0152d7f5c2d086d3.jpg

with these pots in place,  the rake of the masts are acceptable.  the rake on the fore mast should be around 5 to 6 degrees,  and the main mast should be a bit more.  

1564574640_3.jpg.906b34161f1063ff40b7c0e0c652d345.jpg  2107114390_4.jpg.feb79b204b0dccebab1983ec54d5f1cc.jpg

1968573554_5.jpg.ee144a4c2be0e62b584c44738fb7cd47.jpg

the above pictures point out another potential problem.   on most plank on bulkhead models,  the bulkheads have the slot at the base,  to fit over the keel spine,   allowing the planking to have a slight curvature to the spine.  the hang over of the bulkheads will initiate the curvature,  that defines the hull from the keel spine.   they also limit how much spine will show after the model is planked........the garboard plank usually initiates the curvature.  if this is not possible,  which looks the case for this model,  the keel spine may have to be trimmed to reflect this aspect.   here we have two options.......add material so that all of the involved bulkheads have this feature.  or blunt them all off,   so the planking will do the same,  and trim the keel spine.  an acceptable amount of visible keel spine is around 1/4 of an inch,  I would say.   it's not being fair to the model though......#4 through #8 had these slots,  but the wood was so old that the tips were destroyed in the cutting process.   on hull #2,  I tried my best to make the bulkheads with them intact.  I did get a little further on the planking.   I originally though that the hull could be planked with full strip.......a mistake caused me to repair a couple of the strakes at the bulwark {on the port side,  I believe}.   so I changed over to doing a butt in different places,  breaking up the full plank runs.   it didn't take long for this to change either.........the stern changed things for me.  the counter and transom is a lot smaller than the bow.......even more so when you get to the bilge,  or chine as it is also called.  so far,  the bow is following the mid ship,  as far as plank spacing goes.......don't leave out the option that one or two strakes will need to be tapered.  what makes this harder,  is that there is no center {keel} spine that the transom bulkhead attaches to.........the instructions does call for some type of bracing.

1124965922_9.jpg.6be879a463e4800ee4665258c1b94a39.jpg{earlier picture}

before I had nothing in there,  but J had done something,  other than using the supplied parts [#13},  so I added them in.   I believe J positioned his part #10 perpendicular for his model........I positioned mine at a slight angle,  about 2 degrees or so.  since there were no posts for the transom,  I scratch made a part {#10A} adding posts to it....a modification of the original part.   I also added that second pair of bulkheads w/posts {#9A} to decrease the amount of spacing between bulkheads #9 and #10,  since the deck platform had an extra pair of bulwark post slots.  if the stern stem was all the way back to the transom,  things would be different.  but the rudder runs up through the counter,  leaving no center rib in there to terminate the planking.  in that picture,  one more strake on the starboard side would put me even with the port side.

946898070_6.jpg.4eb811e9a1c978aa7487ac432db9584c.jpg

I ran three strakes here,  one bulkhead shorter that the previous one...I'm adding in the second tapered plank in this picture.

143886505_7.jpg.1bd08942470974ba931a037c558d1a32.jpg  104798599_8.jpg.897d17e7d4400af22f2635cc00d99aa9.jpg

so this is where I am with this hull.   small problems,  but it's coming along fairly well :)    the fun doesn't stop here............

#6.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Ed......welcome to the log {s} if your new look'in in.   yep.......a second hull.    I felt bad........watching J building his with the old dried out wood.........and here I am cutting my parts from good fresh plywood.   hardly seems fair,  if you know what I mean...........   I'm only fool'in..........actually,  it's just that I still have these parts and haven't the heart to throw them away....I am a certified pack rat at heart.   as you have read......neither of us got a good shake with the contents of these kits.   the wood is around 50 years old.......some of J's was warped,  and a good portion of the deck planking in my kit is junk.......most of the dowels in my kit are warped!   it's a good thing I  bought up a fair inventory of dowel ;)   I'm intrigued with the picture on the box....I like the way she looks.....although, even in that picture I think the mast are too tall.  for the time being,  I'll post the progress of the second hull here until I come up with a name for her....then I'll create a separate log for her.   I'll keep it low key to cut out the confusion.

The Second Hull

I had to repair the bulkheads that the outer laminates peeled off.  using the appropriate thickness of basswood sheet,  they were re-laminated.

1499584197_1.jpg.557f68ed571c7712a6b7529c85862e6f.jpg 726694980_2.jpg.974cafd6f435adf39306fa7d8477e2f9.jpg

the parts 10A and 1A that I had made for the first hull,  were also cut out for this hull.   as it equates out.....about 80 % is the original wood.  there was this long stick like length from cutting out the keel part lying about....I threw the rest away.   just for the fun of it,  I took the outer laminates off of it.......I did it with my fingers!   

349581047_3.jpg.89ede1a49fa5b7284faf66475f9ef53d.jpg

the next day,  the rest of the bulkheads were finished off.

694759955_1.jpg.52bd9fd8d6007405a31e0da00e9aa2d2.jpg

I had cut a few extra of part #9........I cut one in half for the parts 9A.   part #7 was the worse one.....both sides had to be redone.   ready to go......the first bulkhead was glued in place.

182487500_2.jpg.05d556c5631ce862391c9411a1d06627.jpg

I had already traced out the deck parts in 1/16 sheet basswood

394696141_3.jpg.9ba10f729d93caed40717dab3b72aac2.jpg

most of the bulkheads are in place now.............the #9 bulkhead added later.   the rest will be added off the jig,  but I'm gonna add wood in places to stiffen the frame up.

804166966_4.jpg.49bfefe5ff799bbf8b0152865aa3adf9.jpg  848749625_6.jpg.bb1e89c993f7bc82135f01cd0488c6a7.jpg

spent some time cutting out the deck parts.......first the platform

1711873721_5.jpg.f9c9d23c934d10c2c17efcef585df4f1.jpg  1469051622_7.jpg.0339513391dc4ae2e0476e88a057525a.jpg

it's had all night to dry........so I'll add more to the frame today

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

👍

Your planking is very nice...I refuse to post pictures of mine until it is sanded and filled...as I hoping to cover a lot of the ugly

Hey Denis did you decide if you are gonna copper plate one of your Jumbos?  I'm thinking about it...kinda on the fence at this point, may wait to see how she sands out.  Wondered what you decided

thanks J.......ssshhhshhhhhhh{it could go south any moment now}.  it's like I sad J....these models are butt ugly,  until you get some paint on them ;)   you know what worse......no two hulls plank the same { at least I've never seen the latter}.   I've never done copper before.......I've got plenty of copper paint.  I'll have to look into it.

I've done a few planking jobs I wouldn't write home about..........yours will be fine ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

oh.......you see the other projects in the spare room.   the frame on top of the box is a recreation of the Thermopylae hull...gonna do a what if with it.  the ship by the wall is the Progress.  I'm building it using another old kit of the Nordkap.   I guess I'm going to go ahead and model the Clotilda....with the other hull,  I like the finished model on the box,  so I'm going to model something like a privateer or a brig.  I've always got something going on.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I got a bit smarter with this hull,  since noticing that a couple of the bulkheads had shifted slightly,  when I began to fare the frame.  taking a couple of strips,  I strung them along the sides,  keeping the fame in alignment while the deck platform was cemented in place.

1266959935_1.jpg.1512ec18002838610cab3a15861f58ca.jpg

642713707_2.jpg.0047cbaa85eee9b9d0f431823fa95e53.jpg

I had a look at the frame tonight,  and removed all the clips.  doing it in this fashion also produced a nice camber to the platform.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks J.........I 'll  see if the faring goes better on this one ;) 

hey dragzz.....where ya been?  whatcha build'in lately?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi popeye i took a break i might get back to work on my uss constitution all been well and your self bud

the first hull will be a schooner.......likely the Clotilda.   the second hull though is up for grabs.........likely something like on the box ;)    I did a bit more on the hull planking......not even half way on the first hull.  hope to get more done.

I'll keep my eyes open Dragzz.........glad to see your doing well :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That should be cool, with similar/identical hulls rigged differently, I still haven’t made up my mind.   All I know at this point is that it will have 2 masts😎

well....if you went with a single mast,  you could do a cutter.   the books suggest a lot of different directions we can go.  I've been so into the second hull thing,  that I haven't done a thing about the deck planking or fitting her out.  I guess it will be more fun later on  :)   I figure even going the schooner route,  I can still have a couple yards on the fore mast.   another configuration of the schooner doesn't use them at all,  but are generally fitted for hulls like the Bluenose or the America.  their hull construction lends to a much faster vessel.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

True , top sail schooners are pretty nice looking, I kinda like the pole mast look for a schooner myself, a lot easier to rig too.  

I may just end up using the kit suggestions, not going into my collection anyway.

Are you thinking of adding sails to one of yours?

I'd like to do them.........I have enough cloth.  then again,  if the admiral has her way........I will be  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've never done furled sails........sails will look good on this one :) 

I'm still planking ........I think I'm at the 3/4 mark.   I've done some sanding as I go along....the hull will need a little filler,  but doesn't look too bad.  on the second hull,  I've done some of the stern work that I did with the first hull frame and fared the frame some.   I'm hoping the shape is better than the first.  I will post a couple pictures a bit later.....

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: