Agilis by jct - FINISHED - Steingraeber - 1:60 scale - slave ship

Thx Denis...I believe you are correct. the culprit appears to be the main spine/keel assy.  Has a really bad twist to the center, I've got the 9-5 glued in so far and it seems ok, wont know for sure till it comes out of the clamps though...fingers crossed

All's well that ends well...the technique I used to straighten the frame and deck worked well, she is dead flat...maybe too flat, but better that then warped and twisted...IMG_0307.JPG.df84a06ded97c36c32ecf09d95aee6ba.JPGIMG_0308.JPG.66ed4fa8034ff54fedd5cc45ac728e65.JPG

only problem I see is that somewhere along the way I lost frame #10...no idea where, searched high and low and nojoy...might have joined all the single socks in the black hole!   Oh well a new one is easily made.

Thanks for the likes and comments 

Afew odds and ends...started making the new transom support, curving the stock

IMG_0311.JPG.21c7fb110e9d9e0d9539256bec0dde7c.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG.2a6e36e166d8e5d4cad424d2f01e37c7.JPG

and cut and pinned the faux timberheads

IMG_0313.JPG.a140505217444b09f59a098d9be6e487.JPG

Looks like in spite of the setbacks you are still moving right along J. Congratulations on getting it fixed.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

good fix!   happy to see you got her back together :)   ....and your deck is no worse for wear!  good save! ;) 

oh.......I got the first of the two books today.......Lennarth Petersson's fore and aft craft :) 

Edited by popeye the sailor
extra text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

11 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

Lennarth Petersson's fore and aft craft

That's a good book, relied on it alot when I was rigging the Hannah, I think there is a companion book too

Gonna try to lay some planks today

Edited by jct

yess.........plank that hull!   quickly now...........before something else happens!  it looked like you might need to take a bit more off the #4 starboard side.......check your faring.   this is why I'm planking the hull before doing the deck........if there are any gaps,  I can get rid of them with the deck planking.  do like in 'cool hand Luke'.....get mad at dem damn eggs!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Yea you’re correct, got at least one ugly spot there... spent the morning cutting planks.   I normally would as well but the twist throw me off a bit, so I’m working bass ackwards 

From the looks of it the garboard on Andy and Jumbo may lay right out front to back

Edited by jct

I'm hoping they fall that way.  I'm using 5 mm plank strips.  I may need to do further cleaning up in this area........I'm sure I will find out how much as I get closer to it.  since you've adjusted all of the bulkheads,  some extra faring will be needed.   I had a couple on mine too that required extra so they would be flush with the deck platform...even had to shim one side of bulkhead #9.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ya not surprised...mine come in at about 4.7 mm close enough to call 5, leaving the garboard at 10 though

if you run into that situation,  you can always fit in the difference below the waterline.  this way it is either painted or coppered.  put it as close to the garboard as possible .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

This one is going to have a fully painted hull...probably black, very light ochre wales and dark green trim...white stuff for the bottom, typical merchantman colors, based on Ship Modelers Shop Notes.  Least ways that's my current thought, I'll probably fill the entire hull and then sand it all off of course:P

Started on planking, garboard is on

IMG_0316.JPG.a1585529e73ba0c1e4fb6b3080a9ef91.JPG

and started on the 1st course

IMG_0319.JPG.6a42f9a63348e167f3a0e3b8fb80c306.JPG

Sneak peak at the colors

IMG_0318.JPG.fb421192606cd2cea5d897676834d635.JPG

Edited by jct

I got the garboard and one plank per side and then started back at the deck edge...establishing a foundation for my faux timberheads to attach to, may get to that tomorrow...so planking progresses IMG_0323.JPG.9e6636483e3a6043de8e98c3e591b463.JPG

So while waiting for the glue to set I been going little odds and ends...

IMG_0320.JPG.317be2a056e52f4d7bdbf88498862c8b.JPGfinished the deckhouse

IMG_0321.JPG.4fccfa4a1403d31c15753dd1c79df4b5.JPG

and started working on guard bars for the skylight IMG_0322.JPG.bdec914b4f5962fedec3543acc477ac0.JPG

drilled holes in thin wood strips and inserted pins, gonna ca them then cut to size

Well that's it for today, thanks for the likes and looking in

called for supper and got pulled away........   but look at cho.......your ahead of me in other places  ;)    the cabin and skylight looks great..........nice color choices.     you've also made progress with planking...defining the edge for the bulwark posts.   you may need to get rid of some of that keel though,  if there's too much.  the one thing I noticed with the frame,  is that the pointy parts are little to none......after faring,  it's even more.  good to see you plank'in though.......it will stiffen the hull.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Planking continues...still have about 14 strakes per side to do...stalled one the stern runs...just gotta wrap my head around it.

Ok next morning and the planking continues...gonna do my damndest to finish today, there is gonna be a lot of sanding and fill required

Edited by jct

Yes, that is it, thanks for sharing this picture, it will help with my deck layout, as the plans are pretty vague.

i hope you continue to follow along, and take a look at Popeye’s too, we’re doing simultaneous builds and going in different directions 

Sure thing! If you want any other pictures of anything, please let me know! This gentleman had models all over his house, some small and some very large. He is dying now and it was very kind of him to gift it to my teenaged son.

He bought it new in the 60s or 70s, he said, and tinkered with it off an on for 50 years. Not because it took that long, he said, but because he didn’t like the ship, itself, and couldnt bring himself to finish it straight away. LOL.

Heres another shot.

C716834D-E8F5-4217-A753-02DAB41F47D5.jpeg

hi there..........I agree ....it's a nice looking model :)   I see he did use the mast as complete lengths....I've been thinking to myself that the dowels are too long.  I too appreciate your showing us your model......will make for a great study ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the planking is done...and it is hideous, this is by far my worst planking job EVER,

stock market tip...buy Plastic Wood stock

I'll be using enough to support the economy of most third world countries!!   no pics until it is sanded and filled...well ok just one

IMG_0325.JPG.30b0ea817c75c1090995b6caf951b5a0.JPG

and this is the good side :blush:

Edited by jct

It looks fine.  You should see some of my planking.  I’m terrible at it.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

so now your ahead of me.......so what the heck......a good sanding and there you go!  ;)   no holes or gaps........right?!?!?!     great job keeping that bow line....ohhhh,  that's right,  you have a rabbit in place there :D   no,  but really......sand it down and paint like ya said,  and you should get a good looking hull.   did you at least taper around the transom?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

so now your ahead of me

Well not really considering your building two and working on your car and building airplanes all at the same time, sheess:D

Things do look a little better today in the bright sunshine 🌞 and after about two pounds of wood filler :P

So after sanding and sanding and then sanding some more I moved on to marking out for the faux timberheads...they spaced out a 33mm, one thing about this technique it allows you to space the timberheads evenly

IMG_0327.JPG.2c65d58dcfae7408b7b3cf04c9b7a351.JPGmarked edge

before the timberheads were mounted I made and installed waterways, this is just split basswood glued on edge

IMG_0329.JPG.9406a71ad533fba3357c3860fb4a0bd6.JPGIMG_0328.JPG.6ccf26aee3f1ee08b3951716c90ec019.JPG

from there the timberheads were mounted using pins and gel ca in predrilled holes

IMG_0330.JPG.78e41dc006f10ef85375d2d96d862907.JPG

after all these set the wales were mounted

IMG_0333.JPG.014d460ef40af41626eb8ea6f2609e26.JPGIMG_0334.JPG.de42ad6ab52a0ee4ac3c2c5f0548e65a.JPGIMG_0335.JPG.198ced5fffc0eb7b731c3b9b53da4405.JPGIMG_0336.JPG.8c7c7e328648333a3e4c5ffe92731383.JPG

three runs up each side and they were complete, turned my attention to the stern and mounted the kit supplied stern part...this will serve as the foundation for the stern fashion pieces...once I make them

IMG_0338.JPG.1400795a1b5191040a3f6771f11ce715.JPGIMG_0339.JPG.064c7e78b5176d31a17fb9bbb4d38238.JPGIMG_0340.JPG.e870492c0d39dbb22cfe7fc0643d04b2.JPG

while waiting for glue to set I mounted the ladder in the fwd hatchwayIMG_0332.JPG.321f81630cd0ad177326254b04fa3a36.JPG

and started building up the capstan 

IMG_0331.JPG.9c5b4b8f680708befd2f9cc97dda87d8.JPG

well that's it for today next will be the addition of the rub strakes...I  still have not decided if the hull bottom will be white stuff or copper plates, I liked the way the copper turned out on my Harriet Lane build...but I also remember what a pita it was...time will tell

Thanks for all the likes and the words of support

the hull came out very nice :)   nice job on the bulwarks too.   your deck still looks good...and you thought you'd ruin it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: