San Ildefonso by gsxdent59 - OcCre - 1/70

Hello my friends,i start today to build the kit of OCCRE "SAN ILDEFONSO" I have read the topic of another user that make the same and i am ready to proceed me too..

I upload fotos with the progress 

First open the box

then preparing the tools

The two parts of the keel..i put my phone near to realise the length of the kiel...

final i glue the two parts of the keel...

To be continued...

IMGA0819.thumb.JPG.3b0fc7ccf3830fc943a3ae8b84697b15.JPGIMGA0812.thumb.JPG.f8303bf86e8fcbbf39ca4cc6e9ac14b0.JPG

IMGA0814.JPG

IMGA0816.JPG

IMGA0826.JPG

IMGA0828.JPG

Edited by gsxdent59

• 2 weeks later...

Now i test the position of the first deck.As you see the deck consists from 4 parts,so i must try if they fit right....Thanks God they fit good whitout major gaps. The small gap will covered with the plank. I put the first two of them,starting from the center front,leaving space for the plank that i put above the gap of the two parts. I decide that is better to put that plank after i glue the deck in place,so i can cover well the small gap. Lets see what will happen...

IMGA0837.JPG

IMGA0838.JPG

IMGA0839.JPG

IMGA0840.JPG

I have finish now half of the first deck. It fits perfect and i cover well the mid line of the two parts. I choose the pattern of the six plank but you can choose what other you like. With a pencil i make the bla ck lines of the deck planks. After i put in place the other half of the deck i will aplly a matt transparent varnish to protect the deck.

IMGA0841.JPG

IMGA0842.JPG

IMGA0843.JPG

IMGA0844.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,  she is looking very good, you are doing a fantastic job of her. Keep up the good work

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Now i have place the 4 parts of the second deck,i glue them and start the planking in the ship,because i think i can cover better the gaps and the deck will be placed correctly. But as you see in the pictures,i stopped in the half of the deck...because the planks 1X3 mm are finished...!!! I havn't damage any of them,i use every sinlge of them,but...isn't enough. I wrote to OCCRE and they answer that they will send me 60 planks more....Good service from OCCRE but why? The two members here SJORS and IOANNIZ who make the same ship they don't wrote something. Anyway,i must wait now the new planks to continue,hopping that this will not happen after again...

IMGA0850.JPG

IMGA0852.JPG

IMGA0857.JPG

IMGA0858.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have finished the planking of the second deck and i put black dots i every plank change,like the nails. The absorblable wood sometimes make the dots not like circls,but like a line,so i scratch the excess ink..maybe there was a easier way for black dots...Anyway is done...also i put the beams and rods in the center of the deck,as described in the manual.

So contune now futher...

IMGA0866.JPG

IMGA0865.JPG

IMGA0864.JPG

IMGA0863.JPG

IMGA0862.JPG

IMGA0861.JPG

Looks good, it's coming along nicely!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Now i have put the gun ports. Little attention to curve them at bow and stern. All this will be sanded so the second planking will be smooth and paint it in colors black and yellow. Back of every gun port there is a piece of wood paint with black color where the guns will be glued...

IMGA0867.JPG

IMGA0868.JPG

IMGA0869.JPG

IMGA0870.JPG

IMGA0871.JPG

Now i have put the final bulkheads,so the shape of the ship is now visible. I cover the inside of the bulkheads with planks,opening the gun ports. I start the rear entrance of the cabin. As you see in the photo is a difficult part,to make all of this must glue wooden,brass,metal pieces together as seen in plans. Now i glue all this in the rear of the cabin... Now must make the rest part of the cabin...

IMGA0872.JPG

IMGA0873.JPG

IMGA0874.JPG

IMGA0875.JPG

IMGA0876.JPG

IMGA0878.JPG

I finish now the cabin. Three parts in a shape of Π ... from wood,metal and cooper parts like the rear part of cabin. A ladder with 7 steps made in front,lead to lower deck,as you see in the picture from beh ind. After i glue the third deck and i start now to plank it and also the remain bulkheads left and right.

IMGA0879.JPG

IMGA0880.JPG

IMGA0881.JPG

IMGA0882.JPG

IMGA0883.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Now i finish the planking of the third deck. I put a plank inside the bulkheads along the deck and paint it red as you see in the photos. Why red? There is an historical explanation: Not to be seen the blood from wounded or killed salors in the fight,because they fight side by side with the enemy's ship... Now is time for the external planking...the most important job...

IMGA0887.JPG

IMGA0886.JPG

IMGA0885.JPG

IMGA0884.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice!

I'm not sure why, but I've discovered that I really like these Spanish warships. Maybe it's the cool names. My favorite name of these OcCre kits is the Neustra Señiora de las Mercedes – It's just so enjoyable to say.

The San Ildefonso is a nice looking ship, and the kit looks nice too.

Sorry to hear about the delays, waiting for the additional planks. I know that things like this do happen occasionally. 

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Thank you my friend Clare.Yes,San Ildefonso is a very beautiful ship and thats i have choose that. And also because the model is big....above one meter long....so all details are visible....and a lot of work for the builder...that's we like...right?  The delay for the planks was from the coronavirus pandemia,so i hope that was once and i don't need to face that again...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now i have finish the planking of the gunports of the other side of the ship and stick together the two sides in the bow in the front. I paint it yellow also and i will paint it again after,if needed. Above the yellow area will fit black wooden strips,so the rest yellow area will be finished better .Now...is time for the hull planking (one layer...) In the center will fit 30-34 planks 5mm width and at bow and stern i must reduce the width to fit properly...isn't the easier job...Lets see about....I will keep you posted....IMGA0904.thumb.JPG.2160201f98b0d0594a2123167b0646fe.JPGIMGA0903.thumb.JPG.f87bd3f12ab9df2100bfb1b4e1a58feb.JPG

IMGA0905.JPG

IMGA0906.JPG

IMGA0907.JPG

IMGA0908.JPG

• 1 month later...

ΙI start the planking of the hull. Isn't the easier job... I reduce the width of the planks in bow and stern... I use white planks in stern because they are more flexible for that curve...All hull will be sanded with sandpaper  good after i finish it all and paint it white...

IMGA0912.JPG

IMGA0911.JPG

IMGA0910.JPG

IMGA0909.JPG

• 1 month later...

Finally i have finish the left side. Is not an easy job. I keep the rule that any of the planks narrowed than the half of  5mm. Now i have close the small gaps with woodputty and after i start to sanding and smoothing ready for painiting white.... Now i start the other side,with the expierience i think will be easier...

IMGA0914.JPG

IMGA0915.JPG

IMGA0916.JPG

IMGA0917.JPG

I am glad to see your progress on the model. It is a lot of work planing such a large hull, isn't it?

The large OcCre models are particularly challenging, as they feature only a single layer of planking of the hull. So, getting a nice shape and dealing with gaps is much more difficult to do. Also, the planking material that OcCre provides for the lower part of the hull, is it sapelli? That is harder to bend than the Lime wood they usually provide for the first layer of planking of their smaller kits.

Nice work!

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hello gsxdent59,

Can you tell us your name?

That should be easier to write down 🙃

Sorry for the late respons but a few things.

First your planks.

You have to short because you planked the whole lower deck.

I did only the deck that you see when the upper deck is in place.

Then you have enough wood.

Then your red and yellow paint...

If you like it keep it this way otherwise try the admiralitypaint.

Red ochre and yellow ochre.

And because the paint goes around the gun ports en bullwarks ,try to sand it smoother and you can use filler over there and sand it after you put filler on it.

I know that it’s a big girl and i love building her every minute.

You are on the right track and if you want to know something, let me know.

There is also something that i will ask you.

You know that it is single planking...

And do you let the nails in it?

Sjors

First i must response to friend catopower. Yes the wood for planking the lower part of the hull is sappeli and yes is more difficult to bend. So i use in stern, where the bending is more difficult , lime wood strips,i have some spar,you see it in fotos they are white. 

To the friend Sjors now,my name is George. Yes as you see,i follow the instructions and i planked all the lower deck....but ok, they send me more planks after, to complet the planking of the decks. I am not satisfied with the yellow and red paint,so i will paint it again after but i will sand it again,this is right. About the nails...you suggest that i must remove them? How is possible to do it without make damage? If i paint it white,they don't be covered? i will sand all the hull again to make it smooth,and the head of the nails too.  I have seen your photos and always i have your model for helping me.. Thanks for that and for your advice....

George from Greece