Medway Longboat 1742 - 1/2" scale - by BobG - FINISHED

34 minutes ago, JToma said:

thats a useful tool there.

The Quadhands is a fantastic tool and I'm discovering new ways to use it all the time. It really helped me with stropping blocks and making eyes in ropes. I highly recommend it.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

36 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

Beautiful job Bob, really great detail!   I hope you are proud of it.   That stand looks really great too...

Loved seeing a new use for that Quadhands too!

Thanks so much, Jason. I'm really happy with my build. It wasn't easy for me and I struggled at time but this kit has taught me so much. Thanks also for introducing me to the Quadhands tool. It's one of the handiest tools that I now have.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

18 minutes ago, BobCardone said:

Here's an interesting link about those old Aurora kits. I guess they caused quite a controversy.

OMG...no kidding! 😱

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Looking good Bob. Which particular Vallejo Model Air Red colour is it that you are using? (I mean what is the number designation of that particular shade?) I find it very difficult to tell from their colour charts how a particular colour is going to come out and end up buying several to test before settling on one. I like your shade, so might save myself some testing!

6 hours ago, gjdale said:

Looking good Bob. Which particular Vallejo Model Air Red colour is it that you are using? (I mean what is the number designation of that particular shade?) I find it very difficult to tell from their colour charts how a particular colour is going to come out and end up buying several to test before settling on one. I like your shade, so might save myself some testing!

Hi Grant, The Vallejo Model Air Red paint color I used is Rojo 71.102 Red. I tried 3 different Vallejo red paints before settling on this one and, although it is formulated for airbrushing, I thinned it even more and brushed on many coats in order to get a nice, deep color since it is quite transparent to begin with.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thanks for that Bob - seems I’m not the only one then! You may have just saved me a few $$$ in paint trials! 😊

After 10 thin coats of Vallejo Model Air Red 71.102 the oars are finished. All that is left to do now is to bundle the oars and do a final inspection and, if necessary, any touch up, cleaning and dusting and arranging the rope coils to make her look her very best. Then I'll take some final photos to post here and in the MSW Gallery before finding her a nice place to sit in our small house.

IMG_5214.thumb.JPG.906d649e17abd28f8c524c9101d41833.JPG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Superb work as usual ! Always so precise and clean. I am delighted to see it finished.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

13 hours ago, oneslim said:

Bob, That's a great job on the oars.

BobW

Thanks, Bob. I really like working on the small details because they add so much interest to the model.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

46 minutes ago, JpR62 said:

Superb work as usual ! Always so precise and clean. I am delighted to see it finished.

Thanks, Jean-Paul. I'll be following your build which is on it's way to being a superb model.

I noticed that your next model is going to be the Cheerful. It is high on my list as well. I've started reading through the instructions and there are some steps that look intimidating to me though. Fairing the hull is one of those steps and I didn't do it very well on this boat. I managed to correct my mistakes on the longboat but I wouldn't want to mess up the fairing on the Cheerful as well. I understand what needs to be done but I'm still not sure what is the best way to go about it and get it precisely right. I've never spiled my own planks either since the longboat already had that done for me so that would be entirely new also. I'd need to get a model table saw to mill the planks too. It would certainly teach me a lot that's for sure. A part of me wants to do it and a part of me says I don't have enough experience yet so there's a lot to think about.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Interesting because I ask myself the exact same questions. It is intimidating not to have lines of reference on the bulkheads at the bow and at the stern in order to be sure of having sanded enough or on the contrary too sanded... and to be sure of the symmetry of  the sanding carried out of the port side with the one made to starboard... On a log of the Winchelsea frigate (MIdixon - Post #15 - see link below ), I saw someone who had modeled the hull in 3D to determine the limits of the sanding on the bulkhead. I found the idea interesting but unfortunately I have no skills in 3D software... And I must also get myself a table saw...

Build Log - Winchelsea Frigate

Modelisation_Bulkhead_Winchelsea.png.9b1d644d83058c58a9a5188d10304ce0.png

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

On 4/6/2020 at 12:27 PM, BobG said:

The Calypso is one of my favorite ships ever and has special meaning to me. I might just have to search for one of those models at some point. I'm sure you've looked at the build log that Leukutus started on her recently and I'd love to see a build log of your Calypso too. 

Bob,

Yes, the build log Leukutus started on the Calypso prompted me to get back on mine with the goal of a quick and dirty but nice model for the mantel. Did I see on another log that you actually got to spend some time on her? Am envious. 

I don’t want to do a full log, but here’s where I am right now:

99FAB411-4E08-4512-B687-F44534A39512.jpeg

54CAA3CC-2CF0-4C95-820C-DB8A3C871720.jpeg

F0819427-2DAC-433C-9DFF-9D0732ECAAEF.jpeg

Oh, she looks wonderful, Don, and your model brings back memories for me. Are you going to make her RC? You should start a build log. I'd love to follow along on your build.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 2 weeks later...

My Medway Longboat is finished and I finally got around to taking some final photos. I started my build back in November and it took me 6 months to complete...what can I say, I'm pretty slow. It certainly wasn't always smooth sailing for me but I managed to navigate my way through some of the rough spots and, in the end, I ended up with a model I quite proud of. It was essentially my third model and it was by far the the most complex of the three. I had never done any rigging before and was really apprehensive about that part. Curiously, it ended up being one of the most satisfying steps of the whole build for me. It was as if the model really came to life with the rigging since it gave the boat so much more interesting detail.

We've found a nice place for her to be displayed on top of a small bookcase next to my modeling desk. I find myself looking at it quite often and can barely believe that I actually made it. A great sense of satisfaction comes with the realization of all the hours and care that went into building it. It certainly was a labor of love and that love will be passed on to my son when he inherits it some day in future. He has followed along as I built her and I think it will mean a lot to him when it's his to keep. 

I'm not sure I would have made it to the end without the support of those of you who took the time to follow my progress and give me advice and and offer kind words of encouragement along the way. Believe me, it helped me get to the finish line and I'm very much appreciative. So a big thank you to each and every one of you and I very much look forward to seeing each of you get to the finish line as well. Cheers!IMG_2267.thumb.JPG.2d15f73f85713c63d64caa7cc24bca19.JPGIMG_3560.thumb.JPG.552d4d0acf979bdedbae4e796d4825c6.JPGIMG_6552.thumb.JPG.4c1a46bd820351af5cdecf153e02ca26.JPGIMG_6581.thumb.JPG.84df03210e9c863cb9f06b1986db8325.JPGIMG_9603.thumb.JPG.a6c6833cb54e478942a5ce4ef032394d.JPGIMG_5741.thumb.JPG.d31019074691b4c2c806efbabdd2e386.JPGIMG_8329.thumb.JPG.ab84aeb08f16e8c0bb294343afae0f3f.JPGIMG_3474.thumb.JPG.3e91a2aff542b0632ed1ba13b3820b07.JPGIMG_5209.thumb.JPG.a4e4d4ae3fb08e1ab79f12a6a99bc39d.JPG2052252695_IMG_30602.thumb.JPG.064d28e7a67ee687dae0c70593ca9bb3.JPG

IMG_7009.thumb.JPG.0cd1099db44d9a16c45ed2a8974d89e0.JPGIMG_9237.thumb.JPG.c8766d070657040fa8cd1691e2679b6e.JPGIMG_9341.thumb.JPG.daa2097f850982aa2c01ca0392dd1551.JPGIMG_4389.thumb.JPG.ed72fad172071cb6b990154024388ea2.JPGIMG_9707.thumb.JPG.066235f0767c030274984b4630caed8c.JPG

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Congratulations Bob on completing a truly fine model. She really is beautiful and a credit to your skill and dedication. Well done!

Superb job Bob. She is a little beauty ! Congratulations for this beautiful model.

Jean-Paul

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

Congratulations Bob.  You should be proud of the finished model and your craftsmanship.  I have enjoyed your build log and will be referring to it, especially the pictures, as I continue with my Longboat build.  Your build is truly an inspiration for any Medway Longboat builder.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Bob; the boat looks AWESOME! Thanks for the great photos. They definitely highlight your beautiful work...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Bob,

Your longboat is beautifully done and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed following your journey and the side conversations we’ve had. I especially like your fine documentation and will be referring to it often as I get started back on mine to finish up the rigging. The Calypso should be done by this weekend and has turned out well if not completely historically accurate - I may post a pic or two.

I really look forward to your next project. 

Don

23 hours ago, JToma said:

Congrats Bob! It looks great!

Thanks Jeff! I look forward to seeing your progress on your build.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

23 hours ago, oneslim said:

Very neat,  beautiful job Bob.  Congratulations on a fine model.

BobW 

Thanks very much, Bob! You've got one heck of a nice build going yourself and I look forward to following your progress.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Congratulations Bob! You've done an outstanding job.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

23 hours ago, jwvolz said:

Well done Bob!

Thank you, Joe! I've been following your Benjamin Latham build and it's wonderful. Now I might have to put that model on my tick list...as if I need another model on the shelf!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

23 hours ago, gjdale said:

Congratulations Bob on completing a truly fine model. She really is beautiful and a credit to your skill and dedication. Well done!

Thanks for the kind words, Grant. I look forward to following your longboat build when you get it going again. I've been watching your Pocher build. What a beauty! Then I thought, wow...it might be a lot of fun to try something like a Pocher model...then I saw the price! Yikes...I need to be sure I've got the skills to build a model like that before I write the check!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: