Medway Longboat 1742 - 1/2" scale - by BobG - FINISHED

23 hours ago, Duanelaker said:

She’s a beautiful boat Bob, congratulations!

Thanks Dave! I've been following your builds and I want to see you cross the finish line with them. You've done a really nice job on all of them. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

23 hours ago, MEDDO said:

Wonderful result there something to be proud of

Thank you, Meddo. I'm following your QAB build and she's a thing of beauty for sure!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

20 hours ago, JpR62 said:

Superb job Bob. She is a little beauty ! Congratulations for this beautiful model.

Thanks so much, Jean-Paul! I'll be following your beautiful build. It's really special.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

4 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Congratulations Bob.  You should be proud of the finished model and your craftsmanship.  I have enjoyed your build log and will be referring to it, especially the pictures, as I continue with my Longboat build.  Your build is truly an inspiration for any Medway Longboat builder.

Many thanks, Ryland, and thank you for your advice and kind words of encouragement. You helped me stay motivated to finish this model. I'll be following your progress too.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

4 hours ago, Moab said:

Bob; the boat looks AWESOME! Thanks for the great photos. They definitely highlight your beautiful work...Moab

Thank you Moab. Your kind words are very much appreciated.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

1 hour ago, nunnehi said:

Bob,

Your longboat is beautifully done and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed following your journey and the side conversations we’ve had. I especially like your fine documentation and will be referring to it often as I get started back on mine to finish up the rigging. The Calypso should be done by this weekend and has turned out well if not completely historically accurate - I may post a pic or two.

I really look forward to your next project. 

Don

Thanks so much for your support during my build, Don. Like I said before, your log was pulling me along through some rough spots for me. Please do post some photos of your Calypso build. It's on my tick list also...along with too many others...I should be so lucky to live long enough to build half of them! Seriously though, maybe even do a retro build log where you just post photos that you took as you went along. I've see logs like that and, as they say, pictures are worth a thousand words. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

45 minutes ago, Rustyj said:

Congratulations Bob! You've done an outstanding job.

Thank you, Rusty, that means a lot to me coming from a modeler as skilled as you are. I probably consulted you log a hundred times studying the photos especially when I got to the rigging. It was so helpful to me. I'm watching your Winnie build too. That's yet another model I'd love to do at some point.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

1 hour ago, BobG said:

Thank you, Joe! I've been following your Benjamin Latham build and it's wonderful. Now I might have to put that model on my tick list...as if I need another model on the shelf!

Thanks Bob. It's a great kit, that has room for all kinds of detail work. Quality is good, and nice clear plans (other than the rigging). You don't see a ton of them built, which makes it a bit unique as well. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

You did a great job on this, especially with learning new things as you did them. A lot to be proud of here. You’re ready to start your Cheerful.  Well done.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 4/4/2020 at 12:32 PM, BobG said:

Pride of Baltimore II by Model Shipways:

I built this model, my second build as I recall. It was a good learning experience, but not near as challenging as my first AVS.  Honestly after seeing your work on the longboat I think you’d be disappointed with the materials and design. I’d recommend the Cheerful or if you’re not ready for that than one of the Vanguard Models kits. Much better design and far better materials. The instructions Chris provides are all lessons applicable to future models...like Cheerful 🙂 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

22 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

You did a great job on this, especially with learning new things as you did them. A lot to be proud of here. You’re ready to start your Cheerful.  Well done.

Thanks so much, Glenn. I decided to pass on the Cheerful for while since Chuck is currently closed and he's having problems with USPS shipping. I also want to get a Byrnes table saw but they are out of stock until more 120V motors become available. So for now I chose among one of the models I have on the shelf: the Pen Duick by Artesania Latina. The materials and instructions pale compared to  Syren and Vanguard but it's a beautiful, legendary boat with stunning lines. Hopefully, Syren and Byrnes will be back up to full speed fairly soon and the Pen Duick should keep me busy until then.

Pen Duick by BobG - Artesania Latina - 1:28

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

5 hours ago, Justin P. said:

Beautiful Job, Bob.

Thanks very much, Justin. Your models are always exceptionally well done and I'm currently enjoying your Armed Longboat build.

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

4 hours ago, BobG said:

Thanks very much, Justin. Your models are always exceptionally well done and I'm currently enjoying your Armed Longboat build.

It is a undeserved compliment, but I’ll take it ;)   Looking forward to your next project!

Edited by Justin P.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Captain! I enjoyed building her and I learned a whole lot in the process. 

I just took a look at your fantastic AVS build and it looks like perfection to me. Congratulations on building one of the best AVS models ever seen on MSW!

Do you have another ship model in mind for your next build?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

11 hours ago, captain_hook said:

Haven‘t decided yet. I have a 1/48 POB swan class or the 1/48 Cheerful in my mind.

I see that you list the Cheerful as your current build. I hope you will make a build log. I will certainly follow along. The Cheerful is on my short list of builds of future builds and I know you will build a beautiful model of her judging by your other builds. 

I have a few models that are in line for me but I'm not quite sure of the order in which I will build them yet. I will continue with the Pen Duick for now. The Lady Isabella from Vanguard is scheduled to arrive today. I am also looking forward to the Flirt by Vanguard when Chris finally has it ready for the public and the Cheerful will be my first attempt at semi-scratch building. I want to get a Byrnes table saw before attempting to build the Cheerful and they are currently out of stock until more 120V motors are available. So the Lady Isabella, Flirt and Cheerful are the models that I hope to build after I complete the Pen Duick. That should keep me busy for a very long time...

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 3 months later...

Bob, I am ready to start the rigging of my Medway Longboat and I was wondering what thread you used for the seizing and serving of the lines.  Your work looks very nice and your thread color was an excellent match.  I have been told that Gutermann 100 denier line is excellent for this, but I am unable to find it locally.  Seizing and serving is a first for me and I do not know what to buy thread wise.  I am assuming you used cotton line as I have been told it will take glue better than polyester.

Also, do you recommend any rigging how-to-do videos or posts that will be helpful.  I am looking forward to this task as it will be a learning experience for me.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Ryland,

The rigging on the Medway Longboat was the first rigging of any kind I have done and I was anxious about doing it since it seemed rather confusing to me. I closely followed the sequence that Chuck recommends in his instructions. I assume that the plans that you got with your kit have all the lines labeled for size. I somehow got a plan that didn't have all the lines labeled and it confused me until I found that the online plans have all the information about the sizes of all of the lines. 

I relied heavily on the photos from other Medway build logs too to help me see how the lines were secured to the mast etc. Rusty's log was particularly helpful and I referred to his photos often. I documented my progress fairly well so I hope that will be helpful to you also.

I went to Jo-Ann's and compared the colors of the lines to the variety of thread they had in the store. I ended up using Guttermann 100% Polyester that comes in 100m spools. The tan color I used is called Dark Taupe #537. Unfortunately, I can't read the number on the other spool of the thread that is nearly black. I used tiny spots of medium viscosity CA to secure the knots and had no problem with the polyester thread. The CA will darken the tan thread though so I was extra careful to use a very tiny amount carefully placed. I don't notice it at all on the finished model.  

I used the Syren Serving Machine to serve the ropes when it was called for. I also purchased a magnetic Quad Hands device and it was very helpful for holding blocks when I was stropping them and for holding the lines securely when I was securing them to the mast. I show it in my log and I highly recommend it.

I read quite a few topics on rigging that I found in the Masting, Rigging and Sails section and picked up little pieces of advice here and there in them. I can't remember which ones exactly though.

I'm glad to see you approaching the finish line with your build. She's a beauty for sure.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: