HMS Pegasus by Mugje - Amati - 1:64 - Second build

1 hour ago, SpyGlass said:

Absolutely spot on

Forrard curve - yes :  Aft  S shape - yes :  No kink at a BH - yes : No bottom waviness - yes!

Better than mine - sulk !!

That curved bit of ply is such an artistic achievement in itself isnt it !

Thanks Spyglass! It is indeed a beautiful shaped piece, funny how happy you can be with a little piece of ply :D 

On 8/8/2020 at 2:30 AM, mugje said:

the subtle curves in the strips right

This is only for the gun port patterns, it worked for me on my completed Pegasus, Vanguard, and every model with I’ve done with gunport patterns. Meanwhile you’ve done a nice job getting them on.

Once you learn the plank bending method, you’ll never do anything else, as long as you’re ok with CA. 

2 hours ago, mugje said:

Soaked the aft parts of the gunport strips...now clamped and drying on the ship

When you say soaked, could you be more presise, cold water, hot water, below boiling water & for how long? When clamped down afterwards drying, did you use a source of heat such as a hair dryer.

Thanks for your response.

Richard

1 hour ago, Suzdal said:

When you say soaked, could you be more presise, cold water, hot water, below boiling water & for how long? When clamped down afterwards drying, did you use a source of heat such as a hair dryer.

Thanks for your response.

Richard

I used water from the kettle, so just below boiling point, however...I also used just warm water and that works fine also. But sometimes you think 'more is better' :D 

Then I soaked the strips for about 20-30 min. and just clamping the strips in the ship without further actions. The most important thing that I have learned from the large gunport strips is...soak repeatedly and let it dry for at least 24h in between. But more is definitely helping to really hold the shape afterwards, so when it's time to glue...very minimal clamping force is needed.

12 hours ago, mugje said:

I used water from the kettle, so just below boiling point, however...I also used just warm water and that works fine also. But sometimes you think 'more is better' :D 

Then I soaked the strips for about 20-30 min. and just clamping the strips in the ship without further actions. The most important thing that I have learned from the large gunport strips is...soak repeatedly and let it dry for at least 24h in between. But more is definitely helping to really hold the shape afterwards, so when it's time to glue...very minimal clamping force is needed.

Not every plywood is suitable for repeatedly soaking. I had some really bad issues with the plywood from occre. One soak for 20 minutes and it started to delaminate completley at the curve at the bow.  

Very nice build by the way!

39 minutes ago, Kyak said:

Not every plywood is suitable for repeatedly soaking. I had some really bad issues with the plywood from occre. One soak for 20 minutes and it started to delaminate completley at the curve at the bow.  

Very nice build by the way!

Oh wow that's bad! It depends on what glue they use to laminate the plywood i'll guess. Well...caution then indeed with the soaking if you try different companies plywoods.

And thanks for the compliment!

There is poor plywood, bad plywood and  terrible !!

I would have returned it and ask for replacement.

No plywood  for any purpose from anywhere should delaminate significantly by being wet for twenty minutes.

I have been soaking ply strips for over twenty years in hot water for about 30 mins and repeated that 2 or 3 times.

The only delamination I have ever had in that time - as I said - was after an accidental two days !! Sort of fair enough !

You can delaminate quicker if you steam it - but for ply I dont think that generally would be done  - steam is more for strip.

All the gunport strips are glued and well! Did got some waviness with the aft strips, but not so severe that it can't be sanded away after the first planking I assume.

So next step is the first planking, looking forward to that because I want to give Chuck his planking method a try and are curious how that is going to work with.

IMG_20200812_160913164.jpg

IMG_20200812_160928490.jpg

IMG_20200812_160943459.jpg

IMG_20200812_161026533.jpg

Working on the first layer of planking. Not quite happy how it turns out. Good enough for a first planking offcourse, but it's not as neat as I want it and the bands that I lined off aren't that great either. I did not take enough time with this and with the planking in general, so I need to make some adjustments. After I have planked the first band which contains 5 planks on each side, i'm going to line off the remaining hull again, so I understand the process better. My life is a bit stressed at the moment and that has his reflection on the ship...so I need to find some rest and peace before i'm doing some irreversible damage :P 

IMG_20200820_132651409.jpg

IMG_20200820_132708118.jpg

Take a few days rest, sit back and relax, take a deep breath and have a beer...

For myself, due to weather conditions , the shipbuilding process is interrupted  the last few weeks as temperature in the hobby room ( attic) is still above 25°C.

You're doing a fantastic job.

And after a break you'll carry on just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small and quick update...second band is planked. I'm much more relaxt now and enjoying the build again :D . This is the first time I work with a rabbet and that is really a joy! Sad that the second layer is without. So if anyone is doubting to cut a rabbet just try it, it works much easier with the first planking. I'm also experimenting with the edge bending technique of Chuck and works also very fine. The planks are laying nice and flat against the bulkhead after the edge bent. So learnt a lot already!

IMG_20200903_144851719.jpg

IMG_20200903_144912598.jpg

Thank you all for your kind words and likes! :)

Also received a package yesterday with these nice tools in it. I came across them in someone else his log, I do not know which one but these scrapers looked very handy!

So I ordered the two different sets on the website of Artesania Latina. They were 10 euro per set. It came in just about 4 days from Spain to the Netherlands...so service was really good!

IMG_20200904_092337165.jpg

IMG_20200904_092409541.jpg

7 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Heyyyy   - thats looking really really nice - stern view ?

Thanks for the compliments and likes! I'm quite satified how the planking turned out to this point, but the lining off needs really some more attention with the second layer. It's still a bit off...I think it has to do with experience and developing an eye for it. It's really noticeable in the last band, where I see some waviness in the planks.

Stern view...here and there some stealers, just filling up. 

IMG_20200909_191710018.jpg