Santa Maria by mtbediz - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:50

After HMS Pickle I started Santa Maria kit of Mantua which I bought three years ago. I will modify the kit a little during the construction. Everybody knows about everything Santa Maria. So, no need to tell about her history. 

I did the framing and glued the main deck in place.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I decided to make treenails with the toothpicks. I drill 0,8 mm of holes on the planks and insert the toothpicks with a little PVA. After glue dries I snap the toothspicks off and sand the suface for finishing. By the way, I glued the poop deck as well.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Excellent work  - what a difference  between the  different deck  mediums  -  and wow   you must have so much patience doing all those tree nails.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 1 month later...

Hello friends. Due to the problem with my laptop I have not been able to post the updates on my SM for a while. I installed all the decks and planked them, I attached side sheets and did the bulwarks inner plankings, completed hull first planking with 1,5x5 mm basswood strips instead of 2x5 mm balsa strips given with the kit. I completed stern planking. I started the second planking of the hull with 1x4 mm walnut strips given with the kit. Here are the updates.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

The second planking is complete. Dear friends, I would like to ask that if it is a good idea to add the treenails or false nails on the hull of this model. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance. Scale of the model is 1:50

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

wow!   that's some really nice planking!  been a while since I saw what you were up to......I see your still having fun :)    not really a tip,  but something you might try.......when you plank your decks,  try using thin strip.  they are easier to cut and trim,  and it will add to your bulwarks.   1.5 mm planking vs .5 can make a big difference.   I use Annegre sold by Billing Boats.....it's kind of like mahogany and comes in different shades.  it can be purchased blonde as well so it can be stained any color you'd like.   great looking planking...much better than I can do :blush:   permission to follow along.........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I finished the second planking. After a light sanding I glued the wales and futtock riders. I used 2x4 mm walnut strips for wales and 2 layers of 2x4 mm walnut strips for the futtock riders.

78.jpg

75.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

looks really nice.......nicely done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

she's a sweet look'in ship Mustafa..........very precise and neat.  superbly done! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations Mustafa,
we are both making a model of the Santa Maria, what to say beautiful ship in all its countless interpretations, yours is very neat and clean, a pleasure for the eyes!
For the shades of wood you use yours fully responds to the "blonde" name they assigned to it at the time of its construction

cordially

black Wolf

Lupo nero

finished models  Carrack Santa Maria by luponero - scale 1/50 - diagrams of Adametz   

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19739-carrack-santa-maria-by-luponero-scale-150-diagrams-of-adametz-finished/

models under construction Athenian triere of the 5th century B.C  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25956-athenian-triere-of-the-5th-century-bc/ 

San Giovanni Battista 1598 by luponero - Medicean galleon  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25930-san-giovanni-battista-1598-by-luponero-medicean-galleon/                                           

On 4/26/2020 at 9:05 PM, luponero said:

Congratulations Mustafa,
we are both making a model of the Santa Maria, what to say beautiful ship in all its countless interpretations, yours is very neat and clean, a pleasure for the eyes!
For the shades of wood you use yours fully responds to the "blonde" name they assigned to it at the time of its construction

cordially

black Wolf

Thank you so much my friend. I am following your build with a big interest and inspiring. This is my second Santa Maria build, if you are interested I have a log for it  on MSW as well.

Hello friends. I haven't posted the photos for a while but that doesn't mean I am not working on my Santa :) I was just lazy to post the updates. Apologies my followers (if I have followers :) )

I am sharing what I have done so far without text. By the way I am modifying the kit trying not to use some metal cast object and making them from wood as much as possible.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg