Hello From France

besson

Bonjour à tous amis d'outre Atlantique,

Vous avez là un forum très élaboré qui regorge d'astuces et de techniques de construction. J'ai découvert ce site par le biais de Pinterest et je ne regrette pas.

J'ai débuté le modélisme il y a fort longtemps (hélas) en construisant des avions radio-commandés qui tombaient trop souvent!.

Amoureux de la mer, je me suis donc penché sur des bateaux naviguant et sombrant que très rarement. Après une interruption d'une bonne décennie de ce loisir pour raison professionnelle, un jour, en surfant sur le net, j'ai eu l'occasion de découvrir des photographies de modèles de navires du XVIIIème siècle construits avec la charpente représentée façon Arsenal.

Là, ça a été un grand choc. La complexité et la finesse du travail des modélistes présentant leur travail m'ont fait tombé en admiration devant de si belles réussites.

Je me suis posé la question de savoir si je serais capable d'arriver à la cheville de ces hommes là. Je me suis donc dans un premier temps penché sur tous les ouvrages traitant de la construction des vaisseaux et en la matière il y a de quoi lire. Cela m'a déjà pris deux bonnes années et parallèlement j'ai tenté de réaliser une petite embarcation en suivant un plan de Chapman. Cette expérience, qui était loin d'être parfaite,  ne m'a pas découragée pour autant et j'ai décidé de me lancer dans l'aventure du "Gros Ventre" qui disposait à l'époque d'un forum, qui comme le votre, permettait aux modélistes de présenter l'avancement de leur modèle et de glaner les information nécessaires à la bonne réalisation de leur bateau.

J'ai passé cinq ans pour construire la coque et elle n'est pas totalement finie car j'ai déménagé en changeant de région et les aménagements de ma nouvelle maison a stoppé la construction de ma maquette.

Cependant le démon du modélisme commence a me reprendre et j'aimerais bien me relancer avec un petit modèle de longboat en kit (les membrures prédécoupées soulagerons mes articulations de 72 printemps)

Donc voilà, si les expéditions peuvent se faire vers l'Europe, je serais ravi de me joindre à vous.

Bonne soirée à tous

Edited by Matrim
Translated title.

Bonjour Besson and welcome to MSW.  Someone will no doubt reply that this an English only forum but I hope you stay with us.  In the meantime I have an edited Google translation of your note below. 

pas de quoi, ciao, cheers, &c.     

Allan

Hello to all friends on the other side of the Atlantic. You have here a very elaborate forum full of tips and building techniques. I discovered this site through Pinterest and I don't regret it. I started model making a long time ago (alas) by building radio controlled planes which fell too often !. In love with the sea, I therefore relied on boats sailing and sinking only very rarely. After an interruption of a good decade of this leisure for professional reasons, one day, while surfing the net, I had the opportunity to discover photographs of models of 18th century ships built with the framework represented in the Admiralty method. There, it was a great shock. The complexity and finesse of the work of the model makers presenting their work made me fall in admiration for such great successes. I asked myself the question of knowing if I would be able to arrive at the lowest rung of the ladder of these of these men.  So I first looked at all the books dealing with the construction of vessels and in this matter there is something to read. It already took me two good years and at the same time I tried to make a small boat following a plan of Chapman. This experience, which was far from perfect, did not discourage me and I decided to embark on the adventure of the "Big Belly" which had a forum at the time, which like the yours, allowed the model makers to present the progress of their model and to glean the information necessary for the good completion of their model. I spent five years to build the hull and it is not completely finished because I moved by changing the region and the fittings of my new house stopped the construction of my model. However the demon of model making begins to recover me and I would like to start again with a small model of longboat in kit (the pre-cut members will relieve my joints of 72 springs) So there you are, if the shipments can be made to Europe, I would be delighted to join you. Good evening to all

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Bien venue Besson!

Je ne pas parlez francais depuis 1986 mais ca est pas de probleme! Vraimant, ca est un forum charmant.

Did my best Allan!

Vaddoc

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Bonjour et bienvenue de la douce Bretagne ;o)

Parce que c'est un forum anglophone la plupart des gens l'apprécient quand tu utilise un programme de traduction tel que DeepL pour rendre tes contributions lisibles pour tout le monde. Amuse-toi sur ce grand forum !

Cheers

Pieter

Some much wood so little time ...

Current builds: Nulli Cedo, an 18th century Dutch war clog,   HMS Bellona

Welcome to MSW, it is a great place.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold