WRITER’S BOAT MODELS

LE CONSUL

For years, I have sailed for my pleasure around the world, on many boats. And since I stopped my professional activity, I dedicate myself to the Sea. It goes through collections of boats and by reading writers of the Sea. I amassed, a large number of metal toy boats from the beginning of the last century and my new hobby is to build writer’s boat models.

The difficulty does not lie only in the construction, but first in the search of writers who have owned boats and even in the availability of their plans: kits exist for some, plans are available for others in French, English or American museums and, sometimes, you have to follow a breadcrumb trail to obtain the hull plans.

This passion led me to build 1/30th scale models, all different in their size, style or origin:

- PILAR to Ernest Hemingway

- SAINT-MICHEL III to Jules Verne

- ALTAÏR to Henry de Monfreid (under construction)

YAO to Eric Orsena (also in progress)

OSTROGOTH to Georges Simenon

The following projects are envisaged if hull plans (or kits) exist:

- CASCO from Robert Louis Stevenson

- SNARK to Jack London

- WESTERN FLYER to John Steinbeck

- RING DOVE from William Faulkner

- BEL AMI to Guy de Maupassant

- AMPHITRITE to J.K. ROWLING (Harry Potter)

Among these projects, there is one, very difficult and with a very poor documentation: it is the schooner EMMA to Alexandre Dumas (the Three Musketeers). Unfortunately, only two or three drawings are available, unreliable and insufficient to build a model. To get the hull plans, three "tracks" opened to me when I started my research.

- The first, by the shipyard that built the boat in Liverpool, UK. We are fortunate to have in our family an admiral of the Navy; he began research in the Admiralty and in British museums; but the research has yet been unsuccessful.

- The second by the silver prints of Gustave Le Gray, one of the first photographers, a friend of Dumas' time, but without having been able to discover Emma so far in his photos.

- The third by the books of Dumas himself. In "Viva Garibaldi", he delivers the origin of his Emma: she was built for the Duke of Gramont, his friend and from whom he had acquired her. I looked to see if I could locate his descendants.

Today, I don't have a solution.

My request is simple: among the readers of this blog, does anyone know that there are, about the above writers' boats, kits or plans (CASCO, SNARK, WESTERN FLYER, RING DOVE, BEL AMI, AMPHITRITE and EMMA). In addition, if a reader gave me information about a boat outside the list above, I would be grateful.

So here is my first request. Do any kits exist or, if not, could someone send me the plans for these boats.

I doubt if you'll find any kit of any of those ships. Manufacturers tend only to produce kits of famous ships such as Cutty Sark, Victory, Constitution, etc. I do seem to recall a plastic kit of Captain Nemo's Nautilus. It was made popular by the movie of Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Your approach to ships in fiction is an interesting one. You may find plans of similar vessels on which to base your models, though. Good luck with your research, M. Le Consul!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Western Flyer still exists and is being restored at a boatyard in the State of Washington here in the USA.  One or more articles about her were recently published in WoodenBoat magazine. You should be able to find them on their website.

You might also be interested in a series of posts on this forum by Jersey City Frankie recreating the boat from the Erskine Childers novel, Riddle of the Sands.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Jack London's Snark is quite well documented. There are many photos of her posted on line. https://www.google.com/search?q=jack+london+%2B+snark&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHjZjS5NbnAhUHrZ4KHVD1C8AQ_AUoAXoECBYQAw&biw=1440&bih=749#imgrc=pKcBFiiXa67niM&imgdii=LvoBgGAxqOHmqM

There is a model of her on display at the Jack London State Historic Park (His former home) in Glen Ellen, California, USA, north of Sonoma, California. (pictured below)  http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=478 Details of the vessel are in London's book, The Cruise of the Snark: Jack London's South Sea Adventure, which is still in print. I don't know if the book provides lines drawings, though. As famous as London was in his day, there was much recorded about Snark. The primary places I'd suggest beginning primary source research would be the Jack London State Historic Park, the J.Porter Shaw Library at the San Francisco National Maritime Museum, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA, USA, and the Oakland Museum, Oakland, California, USA. 

Image result for jack london + snark

Image result for jack london + snark

A boat with a (vague) 'literary' conotation is the boeier SPERWER (1884). The dutch boat was owned in the 1930s by Merlin Minshall (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_Minshall), a british naval intelligence officer, who is said to have been one of the inspiration for Ian Fleming's 'James Bond'. The boat is very well documented in terms of drawings and preserved in the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen/Netherlands: https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/zuiderzee/zuiderzee.html. An ukrainian colleague here on the forum recently completed a model of the boat.

https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/zuiderzee/070808-72.jpg

BTW, there are also many painters' boats. A french impressionist painter, Gustave Caillebotte, was also an influential yacht designer and competitive sailor.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

One boat missing from your list is the Spray - Josha Slocum.   Blue Jacket models has a kit: http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/spray.htm

Bruce

Stay Sharp - Stay Safe

Judgement comes from experience:  experience comes from poor judgement.

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale

I have been thinking of the SPRAY, but is it was presumably lost with Slocum at sea, I thought there wasn't much information on her. However, there was a replica of her, but I don't know on what basis.

I vaguely remember that there was also a writer's boat in the Vancouver Island Maritime Museum, but their Web-site is quite difficult with respect to finding particular artefacts. Was it perhaps the SPRAY replica ? After all Slocum was Canadian by birth.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Hi Duxey

Unfortunately for me, the Nautilus is not a writer's boat, but a roman's boat? I say unfortunately because I like very much this submarine. But I have in my collection a model of the SAINT MICHEL III, one of the boat of Jules Verne, built by one of my friends, Alain Paradis...

1638745936_7.***Saint-MichelIIIjpeg.jpeg.2aaae7910d39479b889082e4b2526a83.jpeg

A worthy subject is Gypsy Moth IV, the boat Sir Francis Chichester sailed round the world. He wrote about it afterwards.

By the way,

On 2/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, wefalck said:

A boat with a (vague) 'literary' conotation is the boeier SPERWER (1884). The dutch boat was owned in the 1930s by Merlin Minshall

I read this guy's autobiography around 1976 and am still laughing.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice copper work

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

• 1 month later...

Going back to your list from February, if you are still in the hunt, did you contact Turquoise Yachts in Turkey asking about getting plan or at least lines for Amphitrite  which was owned by Johnny Depp and then Rowling before she put it up for sale again.  If you explain your project they may send you the information you need.  Better still, call them.  I did this back in the late 70's and of course it was snail mail or phone back then.  I was able to acquire sets of plans from both Islander Yachts and Californian Yachts, just giving written assurance that it was for making a model and the plans were not to be copied, shared, etc. etc. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

You might add Nona to the list.  I think it was a pilot cutter, owned and sailed by Hilaire Belloc.

thumbnail_IMG_2462.jpg.f086334e208766d6c49e26ee98c90a8b.jpg

Belloc wrote a great little book titled "The Cruise of the 'Nona'", in which he sails along the coast of Southwestern England (if I remember correctly), ruminating about the wonders of sailing, among other things. 

I've thought of trying to model this, but there is little information I've found.  Just this photo (on a card from a friend who introduced me to Belloc) and some minimal description in the book.

Ron  

There's the boat by Canadian author Farley Mowat who wrote about her in "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float." It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember it was enjoyable.354760552_FarleyMowat.jpg.d895c81674a30326a1dc27c8800ca368.jpg

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

How about a model of a Sunfish sailboat?

Last night I finished reading SECOND WIND by historian Nathanael Philbrick, a quick read about his quest after a lapse of 17 years to compete in the North American Sunfish Class Sailboat Regatta.

Mr Philbrick a noted American historical writer was a champion Sunfish sailor as a teenager in the 1970’s who went on to become a College All American Sailor.

I bought the book because my father and I built a Sunfish from a kit back in the 50’s before they went over to the dark side (fiberglass).  They were and still are great little boats- pure sailing fun.

Roger

4 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

How about a model of a Sunfish sailboat?

Last night I finished reading SECOND WIND by historian Nathanael Philbrick, a quick read about his quest after a lapse of 17 years to compete in the North American Sunfish Class Sailboat Regatta.

Mr Philbrick a noted American historical writer was a champion Sunfish sailor as a teenager in the 1970’s who went on to become a College All American Sailor.

I bought the book because my father and I built a Sunfish from a kit back in the 50’s before they went over to the dark side (fiberglass).  They were and still are great little boats- pure sailing fun.

Roger

Going to have to read that. I've read a lot of his books, I didn't know he's a sailor and I don't think I've ever read anything about sunfish, though I've had one in some driveway or the other since I was a kid.

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway