John Ruy

Charles W. Morgan by John Ruy - Marine Model Company - 5/32”=1’ (1/76 scale) - Vintage Solid Hull Kit

Nice recovery John. If you don’t fix (redo) things along the way it can only be for two reasons. 

1) Your perfect. 
2) You just don’t care. 

if your human like me number one just plain doesn’t apply. Again if your anything like me, number two is not an option either. If we didn’t care about doing things right (otherwise known as OCD which all modelers need and have) we would not last very long in this hobby.  Enjoy the journey. 😁

Keep up the nice work. It is a beautiful model. When I get started on mine I hope I can make it as good as yours. 

Tom

5 hours ago, Voyageur said:

Nicely done! Looks like a great job on the battens. 

Thanks Voyageur, It took a few retries and reties, but she’s getting there. 🍻

She is looking real nice, John. I feel like I am a year away from starting rigging right now;  progress has been slow.

Some observations. I like your rigging thread storage unit.  Is it custom made?

also, it looks like you have one of Model Expo’s shroud/ratline  jigs but don’t seem to be using it. Is that because it is useless?

Ron

Now's the time when you might consider fashioning some sort of "prophylactic" for the bowsprit rigging. I usually find or fashion with duct tape something suitably "boxy" out of cardboard that will enclose the bowsprit and bows. It's more for preventing accidents than preventing damage after the accident occurs. Even just a big "box" there is enough to remind the mind that it is to be avoided. Without something of the kind, it is very, very easy in an inattentive moment to collide with, or have something snag onto the bowsprit rigging while reaching across the bench for a tool or walking past in the shop. Bowsprits are really susceptible to such damage and it can often have catastrophic "chain reaction" consequences to other parts of the rig. 

(Don't ask me how I know this.) 

4 hours ago, ragove said:

Some observations. I like your rigging thread storage unit.  Is it custom made?

also, it looks like you have one of Model Expo’s shroud/ratline  jigs but don’t seem to be using it. Is that because it is useless?

Thanks for your compliments Ron. Your build is progressing nicely as well. I currently have 250 hours into the Morgan. As Tom just said, “Enjoy the journey”. That’s why we do this. 

The thread storage units are sold in Fabric section of WalMart or JoAnn Fabrics. They are used for sewing thread storage. As for the “Ratliners” they work, I used them to rig the Revell Constitution I built last year, I wanted to replace the plastic rat lines with something more realistic as I did the sails. They do work well, I did find that they use a lot more thread than hand tying on the ship. I am also finding that rigging on the Morgan will be more accurate the way I am doing it now. Particularly because of the battens. 

Latter 😎

9 hours ago, John Ruy said:

thread storage units are sold in Fabric section of WalMart or JoAnn Fabrics.

Thanks. I will check these out. My rigging storage is a plastic box of tangled thread.