Screws and Bits

I am contacting you with a question that results from my work to get my workshop organized. I have a huge amount of screws and other stuff and I am working on placing each type of screw into its own glass:

49484241396_35b00e9f1b_c.jpg

A first version of the label design I am going to use for the purpose of identifying the type of screw and the type of bit. So here it is a countersunk screw 3x16 mm size and the thread is for use with wood. The proper bit is PZ 1. Here it was simple as the screws were still in the box from the DIY shop. To identify if a screw has a Phillips head or a pozidriv is simple by looking onto its head:

49478794628_46f3a27319_w.jpg  49544096913_a07c39ea97_n.jpg

This is a pozidriv screw head.

49544848917_1ef4e4650a.jpg  49544101543_c987ef2c7c_o.jpg

Here comes my problem:

When I take a screw I can identify if it has a PH or PZ screw head, but not the right sized bit f the proper kind. The result is that often my screws and my bit used gets damaged. By writing the Bit type and size on the label f each glass I can be sure to have identified the right bit for it. By the way I am also organizing to have my bits stored in a way that I can easily and immediately take the right bit.

I have searched in the internet for information about how to identify the size of the bit type required and have had no success. May be one of you knows where I can get this information. I guess it will relate the physical dimension of the screw head plug.

I saw this somewhere recently:   the bits/ drives  are generally inexpensive -  the suggestion was to have a copy of the proper bit/drive in each screw container.

Maybe a piece of Gorilla double stick tape on the top or under it to hold the bit.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

One option/solution to the associated bit would be to use a small PVC/plastic (stiff) tube, cut to length and epoxied to the side of the jar?  The length would be governed by the length of the bit, and leaving some length of the bit exposed to access it.  The bottom can be plugged with wadded paper if cutting bit down; but I prefer to stand mine the other way around, so a small softwood plug would suffice.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

2 mm screws :   Phillips PH000, PH00  (small electronics)

3 mm screws :  Phillips PH0  (small electronics)

4 mm screws :  Phillips PH1   (common household appliance items)

5+ mm screws : Phillips PH 2 (common household appliances, construction, automotive)

large screws  :  Phillips PH 3   (has a blunt tip, and is not so common)

Generally, the 'PH' does not appear on the screwdriver handles.

There are also Robertson (Square) Bits
the most common are #1 (smaller), #2 medium (very common), and there are smaller and larger size that I don't usually see

Bitte, hier anschauen:

https://www.mcmaster.com/metric-hex-bits

Edited by Bob Blarney

@Bob: The website you supplied the link to is the closes I have seen so far to what am looking for. But if I have not misinterpreted it, it gives information about the physical dimensions of the bits. What I am looking for is information about the physical dimensions of the recess in the screw heads that would allow me to identify what bit a certain screw requires.

I just eye-ball the size and then try out the most likely bits - they are all stored in one place. Probably less life-time spent on this procedure than meticously labelling all the screw containers.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Try these sites, some of the citations (#) listed reference the patients, maybe one of them might show the engineering drawing info.

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/p/126-what-is-the-difference-between-phillips-and-pozi-screw-heads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

The Pozidriv was patented by GKN Screws and Fasteners in 1962.[21][22] It was specifically designed to allow more torque to be applied and greater engagement than Phillips drives. As a result, the Pozidriv is less likely to cam out.[11][23][24] It is similar to, and compatible with, the Supadriv screw drive.[25]

Pozidriv screwdrivers are often designated using the letters "PZ" followed by a size code of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 (in order of increasing size).[11] The numbers do not necessarily correspond to nominal screw size numbers.

Pozidriv screws have a set of radial indentations (tick marks) set at 45° from the main cross recess on the head of the screw, which makes them visually distinct from Phillips screws.[11]

Maybe also research GKN screws and Fasteners, maybe they have online engineering drawings

4 hours ago, Hellmut1956 said:

@Bob: The website you supplied the link to is the closes I have seen so far to what am looking for. But if I have not misinterpreted it, it gives information about the physical dimensions of the bits. What I am looking for is information about the physical dimensions of the recess in the screw heads that would allow me to identify what bit a certain screw requires.

I think you are over-thinking this. As Wefalck wrote above,  just keep a set of bits and try them out to see if they fit the screw.  With further experience, usually you will recognize the necessary size instantly.  

Except for rare instances,  the screw size/diameter determines the size of the recess, and therefore the bit size.   

Thx for your responses! My question was exclusively about a place where the information can be found, if it exists, from the image of a screw head to identify the size of the bit for it. To identify the kind of bit I have proven in my first contribution to this thread how PH and PZ can be identified.

To the very valid question if this is not over-engineering, I am rebuilding and organizing my workshop and screws, washers and other pars will all be stored in glasses and labeled as shown in the picture above.

49484240867_0818713a50_c.jpg

This pictures dhows one of my 3 workbenches in my workshop and on its surface the glasses and bulk parts I am sorting and labeling. I do not do this work for living but for fun. I do not have a photo yet about a drawer organized to have all kind of bits well identifiable. But as an example I want to show you one of the drawers and how I have organized things in it:

36797868381_59ac9f35bd_c.jpg   36541290410_719b5f1fb3_c.jpg

For me there is a beauty in having stuff organized as the ones on this 2 pictures. The other important reason is to see at a glance what options I have on a kind of parts and to see if anyone of those have not be put back to where they belong.

26561653327_73b42fa006_c.jpg

43075699401_3a496f03b0_c.jpg

Or see how I keep improving stuff, in this case my power supply panel on my electronics workbench. The first picture shows what I call panel 2nd. Generation, On the right side you can see that I have bridged the cables that connect to my panel and where I want to place electronic fuses I am to build using Mosfets. The second picture shows my 3rd. Generation panel with work on it in progress. The reason for the mayor update was that I found this little displays that will show voltages and the amount of current flow and that require a completely different wiring. Also here, the reason for this was the fun of doing it and the later joy of having it available.

So I find it interesting that so far apparently nearly anybody has dealt with the issue of identifying the bit size from analyzing a specific screw. The best so far is the link to a table where bit size is put in relationship with screw diameter.

I want to share with you my results in looking for a solution to my question.

Apparently none of the standard documents include a definition about how the kind if bit and its size is defined. But I found a website in German language where there are displayed in tables the relationship between the kind of bit and the diameter of the screw with the size of bits associated. Here some first data:

Torx:

49555144301_f015a9f51b_c.jpg

Cross recess screws:

49554678103_4dd3f787d0_z.jpg

So far I have not yet verified in practice the information in this 2 tables, but of course I will do it as a prepare the labels for the glasses. Phillips bits also exist as PH00 and PH000 but the website states that there is no data about those sizes.

• 2 weeks later...