1936-1939 Mercedes Benz 540K by JACK12477 - 1:24 - Italeri - FINISHED

Jack12477

For my encore performance ;) I am going to build the 2nd Italeri car kit of the 1936-1939 Mercedes Benz 540K in 1:24 scale.

The Mercedes Benz 540 was built between 1936 and 1939. It had an 8 cylinder, 5.4 liter engine, vehicle weight was not less than 2300 kg (5070 lbs) , max speed was 170 km/h (105.6 mph) and fuel consumption was 28 to 30 liters per 100 km or 8.4 to 7.8 mpg (US).

The box art show a paint scheme of cream with brown fenders but the kit sprues are yellow with black fenders; I will be changing that to something closer to the box art representation. Looked on the Internet forc pictures of this car in different paint schemes and there are not many to be found. Found more photos of the 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom I just completed than of this Mercedes.

The obligatory box contents photos follow:

IMG_7811.JPG.45a9ea442d65425c785738085ee61106.JPGIMG_7806.JPG.1caae26ba8956a4200010538d7d930ad.JPGIMG_7809.JPG.ff8ecbd39bc967855e5f4130fae9f43e.JPGIMG_7807.JPG.c55f25d99bb1168ac9952454ca2f048d.JPGIMG_7808.JPG.3834b1e6bcf60a2e294e7c0308356faf.JPGIMG_7810.JPG.a4c7bf7a224f49300c4e740428486b4c.JPG

And of course the instructions are again in the picture book form:

IMG_7812.JPG.8d89d84731483b629453486e508e375d.JPGIMG_7813.JPG.17957f158a98afa748ef5c41aa9816ef.JPG

Stay tuned !

Edited by Jack12477

It's interesting that you are going to go with the tan and chocolate brown coloring of the box top rather than the yellow/black of the kit. Yesterday while doing some chores and running around town, my attention was drawn to what must have been a restored VW Bug with that exact same color scheme. I was impressed enough to point it out to my wife. She was not impressed at all.:huh::(  It looked very refined and high end even on a Bug. It should really look good on a Mercedes.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Yea, matching that chocalote brown is going to be fun.  I have a coffee bean brown by Americana brand paint which might work. Or I may have to visit Michaels and what they have.  Have to consult with my artist son, he had a tube of acrylic yellow that exactly matched the plastic yellow, in fact I think the yellow in the Mercedes kit is the same yellow as the Rolls Royce kit. Italeri made both kits so it would make sense to do both kits with the same color batch of plastic.  I definitely do not like the molded black tho, okay for engine and undercarriage but not upper body.

BTW both of these kits are available from Hobbylinc for $29.79 each. 

Edited by Jack12477

31 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

BTW both of these kits are available from Hobbylinc for $29.79 each.

Just what I need, another model car in my stash!:( Don't even think of going the yellow/black. The brown/tan has FAR more class and is much more distinguished. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looking forward to this one.  I agree on going brown/tan :)  

I have a bunch of the old Monogram classic and Jo-han kits for cars like these (can find them for good prices on eBay).  I figure if I can't own a real one, might as well build a model of one.  I think cars from this period were real works of art.  Not as into the more modern cars.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I also have these two kits in my stash Mike. Both are all metal with only a few plastic parts.  Someday I will build them.

IMG_7815.JPG.2160bc611c3a476278f8d5fdaf9a06a0.JPGIMG_7814.JPG.06e3e364af700b7e2188faa0d63e58a4.JPG

Okay, guys   You can stop drooling now !  :D:D:D

I recently picked up a couple Pocher and Revival kits.  Must...stay...off...eBay...

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I have several completed kits from Hubley, Gabriel, et al, which I built 40 to 50 years ago. They are stored in storage containers because they have started to show their age. The rubber tires dried out and split apart.  I may try to restore them some day.  

Another  nice build on the cards Jack  - loving what you do with them.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow, the Mercedes weighed over 5,000 pounds. What a beast! If a guy could afford a car like that, he would not have been concerned at all for the cost of poor fuel economy. Maybe more concerned about range, but it probably had a huge fuel tank. Look at the size of the differential on that car...it's huge. 100+ MPH was WAY faster than those tires could be trusted I'll bet.

Here's an article I read a few days ago (I'm a history buff, but I digress)   https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2017/03/14/engineering-excellence-political-dysfunction-mercedes-benz-in-wwii/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Stop it; I fell into that rabbit hole and spent a half hour following interesting stories.  ;):D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

13 hours ago, Canute said:

Stop it; I fell into that rabbit hole and spent a half hour following interesting stories.  ;):D

It's a deep rabbit hole for sure.   I decided some time ago to read as many articles as I could....  I'm not third of the way through that site.  But, it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 hours ago, Canute said:

Stop it; I fell into that rabbit hole and spent a half hour following interesting stories. 

Only a half an hour? You must be a much faster reader than I am Ken! But then while almost everything keeps me off of the streets, nothing keeps me out of trouble! I'm married so it is just a state of being anymore.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I had the Admiral whispering into my ear about going off on a few errands. One of which was getting my new eyeglasses. A big deal for this particularly voracious reader. :D

Interesting history of Daimler-Benz. Look up BMW's involvement for additional WW II aviation history. ;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

2 hours ago, Canute said:

One of which was getting my new eyeglasses.

Yeah one of those necessities of life after 65! I finally got a new set this last year, after something like seven or ten years or something, and I HATE them. I started hating them when the lady told me how much they were going to cost, and it has been going on ever since. They function OK I suppose. I only really need them for reading comfortably. I can even do that OK without them but it tires me out long before I get the stuff read that I want. Not that good for TV and I just take them off altogether on the rare trips to the movies. My wife is the TV person and cannot function without it on. I could live just fine without even owning one! But books, and now to include electronic books, that is a different matter. I have them stuffed in unbelievable places. I always wanted a real library like rich houses have in the Victorian movies, where you could go to the proper shelf and pull out the perfect book for the subject you were interested in at that moment.:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

29 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I always wanted a real library like rich houses have in the Victorian movies, where you could go to the proper shelf and pull out the perfect book for the subject you were interested in at that moment.:D

Yes one with the ladder on the track so you could get along the top shelves, and sit in the wing back chair to read the chosen tome^_^

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Being cursed with four eyes, aka nearsightedness, since the 3rd grade,  as presbyopia set in with advancing age, I find I can cheat by either removing my glasses completely or just pull them down my nose a bit and look over the rims while bringing the  book a liitle closer to my face.  I do have so called reading glasses and I did try bifocals but cheating is far simpler. And I don't have to play trombone either ! :D 

I got distance glasses from the doc and readers for the modeling/computer/reading stuff. Plus an Optivisor and some intense lighting for modeling. More light is key for me.

Ken

1 hour ago, Canute said:

I got distance glasses from the doc

I though pilots had to have 20/20 uncorrected vision to fly !  What happened ? Old age ? ;):huh::D

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

What happened ? Old age ?

You're evil Jack!:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 minutes ago, lmagna said:

You're evil Jack!:D

Yep ! :D

But he is still younger than me ! 

Edited by Jack12477

You need good vision to get into training and get your wings. Once that's accomplished, as long as you can be corrected to 20/20, they keep you. Only if something really bad, like you go blind in one eye (both eyes and you're out of there permanently, no questions asked, sportsfans) and then they can look at waivers to the rules. When times are peaceable, most likely you get grounded and turned into a ground-pounder. Which, for an aviator, is a slow death.:(

I was 20/20 until about age 44, then a slow decline started. I still correct to 20/20,😁

Ken

23 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

But he is still younger than me ! 

We ALL are!!😈

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

11 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yes one with the ladder on the track so you could get along the top shelves, and sit in the wing back chair to read the chosen tome^_^

You forgot the fireplace crackling away.......

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

14 hours ago, Canute said:

I had the Admiral whispering into my ear about going off on a few errands. One of which was getting my new eyeglasses. A big deal for this particularly voracious reader. :D

Interesting history of Daimler-Benz. Look up BMW's involvement for additional WW II aviation history. ;)

Rather good engines  built to last.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I have three sets of glasses  - one  long distance to check for that kit part that  "Pinged" far away,   and  mid  focal pair  for when I am getting closer, and a pair of close up ones  for when I am right on top of the part  - then a magnifying glass  and tweezer to pick the damn thing up.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Wow! The library is becoming quite detailed and quite comfortable. Don't forget the glass of 100 year old brandy for those of us who don't smoke.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey