SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa - Edwardkenway-FINISHED

7 hours ago, Javlin said:

IThe crate is coming along nicely and see those years of hand painting miniatures is paying off. ;)  Kevin

Thanks Kevin😁 yes the uk distributor came good and sent the parts, probably waited 3 or 4 weeks 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 4/4/2020 at 1:49 AM, popeye the sailor said:

and even a Japanese bomber. 

Here Denis cos I know you like the big bombers😋😁

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hasegawa-HCP9-G3M2-G3M3-Mitsubishi/dp/B0042KULOO/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Japanese+bomber+model+kits&qid=1586050236&sr=8-7#

41oelUctjvL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Ebayuk have also got some Japanese bombers including this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujimi-1-144-144-Series-No-15-IJN-Visionary-Super-Heavy-Bomber-Fugaku-New-198382/164087036997?hash=item2634597c45:g:3JYAAOSw2XdeS3cW

s-l140.webp

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

I was able to get into the workroom today and got some more done on the dauntless,  basically there is only the decals to go on.

The canopy painting went ok, not brilliant,  definitely won't win any prizes for neatness but it's  passable. (Except the rear piece which I broke when I dropped it on the floor then stepped on as I got up to retrieve it 🤬)

Thanks for the kind words and likes. 

Cheers 😁👍20200405_220312.thumb.jpg.72489a22f3814b71d191d4e9aeaafe2f.jpg

Before go I have a question, can I put a matt clear coat on before the decals or after?

20200405_220751.jpg

20200405_220352.jpg

20200405_220324.jpg

20200405_220301.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Compare the surface of the decals to the sheen of the paint if decals are way to glossy put some Future or suitable gloss in that area apply decal.Once the decal is snuggled down to your satisfaction apply gloss,dry and dullcoat.You do not have an airbrush yet but never dullcoat the glass. ;) Kevin

By the way nice painting on the glass ...freehand? :imNotWorthy:

Edited by Javlin

16 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

can I put a matt clear coat on before the decals or after?

Well, without devolving into a philosophical discussion on Free Will, you are free to do anything you please, until it causes harm to another.

Generally, though, accepted wisdom in the modeling community is that a gloss coat is least likely to have clear decal film "silver."  You can then put a matte coat over the set decals to fix them to the finish.

Now, I have heard of using Ultra thin to correct silvering, but, I've never tried it.

This continues to be an impressive build.

And the kit appears to be top notch, as well, too.

Watched a vid on building the 1/18 (!) Merit SBD 3/4, and was somewhat amazed.  That kit goes for north of US$150, and has as many movable parts as the old Monogram 1/48 kit (other than folding wings--go figure).  The parts looked as if they had been pantographed "up" to the larger scale, rather than down.

So, all the more applause on the build here.

3 minutes ago, CapnMac82 said:

Well, without devolving into a philosophical discussion on Free Will, you are free to do anything you please, until it causes harm to another.

I'll have clothes on under the clear coat so it doesn't cause offence 🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, Javlin said:

By the way nice painting on the glass ...freehand? :imNotWorthy:

Thanks Kevin, 

Some is freehand some I did cut up bits of masking tape.

Thankyou both for your advice👍

Current builds;

Completed:

21 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Here two builds I have the Nell in 1/72 the one two the left I believe was an old Aoshima and the right is the Hase.Denis the hase was a good kit hope you do not mind Ed? Kevin

japanese 003.JPG

Edited by Javlin

5 minutes ago, CapnMac82 said:

Many thanks CapnMac.

This first plastic kit I've done for 40+ years and I got to say they are much better now with the fit.

Current builds;

Completed:

4 minutes ago, Javlin said:

Here two builds I have the Nell in 1/72 the one two the left I believe was an old Aoshima and the right is the Hase.

japanese 003.JPG

They look fine nell bombers😊👍,  have to say my favourite Japanese aircraft are the val dive bomber and the kate torpedo bomber .

Current builds;

Completed:

15 minutes ago, CapnMac82 said:

Watched a vid on building the 1/18 (!) Merit SBD 3/4, and was somewhat amazed.  That kit goes for north of US$150, and has as many movable parts as the old Monogram 1/48 kit (other than folding wings--go figure).  The parts looked as if they had been pantographed "up" to the larger scale, rather than down.

So, all the more applause on the build here.

Sorry for butting in (again)   Captain   you should do a build log in the site.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Your doing a fine job Edward  glad we are in the same club for broken canopies  we should win a medal.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Your doing a fine job Edward  glad we are in the same club for broken canopies  we should win a medal.

OC.

Thanks OC. 

Yes it was last bit of the canopy and I'm surprised the first bit of this kit I've  dropped! But at least it doesn't look to out of place without it.😏

Current builds;

Completed:

30 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

have to say my favourite Japanese aircraft are the val dive bomber and the kate torpedo bomber

I have in the last 5-8 years started developing an affinity towards WWII Japanese subjects I like the PTO on the American side but it's more with Army Air Corps than the Navy.The AAC had colorful schemes though not quite like the ETO/MTO but still nice but the Navy will we got seablue,grey(s),white and dark blue now pre-war were neat.;) Kevin

6 hours ago, CapnMac82 said:

other than folding wings--go figure

Sorry CapnMac

But the Dauntless didn't have folding wings.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

21 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Make that 3rd that

Well, "ditto."
Sadly, I need to over come Morrison's Law (whereby no workbench ever has more than 2 square feet of clear space).

It would help to not have quite so many things on my plate--but, such is my life after the 2008-2012 debacle.  Which is why I live in, effectively, a bed-sit. 
And, spending my work day modeling entire buildings probably cuts into my creative life more than it ought to, too.

Sigh.

I like looking at model buildings also. I even built, well partly built as I didn't finish it, a three foot tall Victorian dollhouse for my wife in 1/12th scale. Takes up a pretty large space on a special table where she can look at it regularly. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I do buildings when my grandkids school projects require it but also used to scratch wargaming scenery in 28mm and 15mm scale.  I've still got some terrain builds in a box in the loft. If this carries on I might start making more as I don't need to buy materials for it, I just use cardboard and other stuff that would usually get thrown away. 

Current builds;

Completed:

Yipeee!!! I've finished the dauntless! Today last bits have been glued on and the decals put on. There may be some paint touch up to do but that's it. I'm happy with the final product, but the Admiral has said and I quote "I don't mind a ship or two but I'm not having any bloody planes knocking about" so in a box it will go to be forgotten in the model graveyard of the loft.😕😕😥😭

Thankyou all for hanging on in with me and all the comments, likes and off build conversations 👍 it's been a fun change from wood and I will definitely be doing another although I don't know what subject matter yet, but don't tell the Admiral 🤫 So the photos:20200407_161934.thumb.jpg.90546ce98a7cb3b24f03f5460d3ca123.jpg20200407_161742.thumb.jpg.a32a918f7f4b334683d74622349da1b5.jpg20200407_161844.thumb.jpg.0110b8aa05a09551eb4b10ededcc2a95.jpg20200407_161916.thumb.jpg.51d7d4a842dfd94c71cbfaaa760b0d2f.jpg20200407_161752.thumb.jpg.17bac1439e81cac6f3c6ef00fe5879b8.jpg20200407_161826.thumb.jpg.3ea905950042149bcc0dc71b67d331d0.jpg

thanks again everyone who has followed or looked in, stay safe and

Cheers 👍😉😊😊

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Wow! That came out really nice, Edward. Nice work ! 

Maybe you will join me in the Armor division, easier to hide the tanks from the Admiral than the planes. ;)  I have 3 arriving tomorrow unless Andrew diverts them into AppleCity :D on their way up from NJ. 

53 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Maybe you will join me in the Armor division, easier to hide the tanks from the Admiral than the planes.

Thanks 😊

I've already got a card Tiger I to do Jack,  just waiting for the card to get here. I did look at a Sherman or a kubelwagen with some sort of gun in tow

Current builds;

Completed:

4 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yipeee!!! I've finished the dauntless! ......

20200407_161742.thumb.jpg.a32a918f7f4b334683d74622349da1b5.jpg

May 1942.. SBD-3 as flown off the USS Lexington. Aircraft #12 of Scouting Two, just prior to the loss of the ship, they were using SBD's as low level plane guard protecting against torpedo attack, The pilot is almost an ace. A little known fact of history, the US navy had several SBD aces. Doesn't get widely reported in many books but it is true.... Shortly afterwards, they dropped the squadron numbers and switched to black lettering with huge full chord insignias on the wings....

I think this is the prettiest scheme they had.....

Beautiful job my friend.... it a shame she's going to be a hangar queen, but I guess you have to follow the admiral's orders... :-)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

27 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Edward, check out my Dauntless 1:32 scale  . Not as good as yours tho.

That's a great looking plane Jack, fantastic detail and a fine job of a build. Thanks👍

14 minutes ago, Egilman said:

think this is the prettiest scheme they had.....

Beautiful job my friend.... it a shame she's going to be a hangar queen, but I guess you have to follow the admiral's orders... :-)

Thanks EG and for the info on her.

Yep orders is orders. 

She'll get some missions now and then 😉

Current builds;

Completed:

Lovely job  Edfward  a real credit to you mate  -  it really has come out  first class, I will miss the banter and viewing oyur work  in The Special section  (Here)    hurry up mate  and find another thing to build  - we will be waiting.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Wonderful work on her, Edward.   Pity it has to go into storage.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)