SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa - Edwardkenway-FINISHED

I've been tempted into doing this build after watching Craig and his many non-ship projects and picked the Dauntless as I like carrier borne bombers and fighters from the Pacific campaign. 

Now it's been at least 40+ years since I did a plastic aircraft model so please bear with me, also its OOB, no mods or aftermarket stuff,  just plain as is.

I'll be going with the US navy tri-colour paint scheme but they not arrived yet so maybe a while until I 

20200219_144343.jpg

20200219_144213.jpg

20200219_144812.jpg

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome to the Clan,   you have picked a nice  build there  Hasegawa  have always made decent  models.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks OC, I'm glad to be here. I thought after lurking here in non-ship I'd take the plunge and join the fun:D

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

a big hello as well :)     just all around good crazy fun here......I think my admiral is through,  keeping up with which medium I'm working in  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Dennis:D

Current builds;

Completed:

So began to check the parts for the cockpit and was going to paint but have noticed that two sprues of parts are missing,🤔🤔  mainly cockpit pieces and the whole of the undercarriage,  wheels etc... its brought the build to a halt until I can obtain the missing bits.😡 E-mail winging its way to Hasegawa as I write!!!

Current builds;

Completed:

Just now, Edwardkenway said:

So began to check the parts for the cockpit and was going to paint but have noticed that two sprues of parts are missing,🤔🤔  mainly cockpit pieces and the whole of the undercarriage,  wheels etc... its brought the build to a halt until I can obtain the missing bits.😡 E-mail winging its way to Hasegawa as I write!!!

Oh wow...didn't see this. What a disappointment. Hope Hasegawa comes through for you with flying colors.

Thanks Craig,  with any luck the parts will  be sent. The original parcel took eleven  days to get here from Japan.  In the meantime  I have started to paint the other cockpit parts, I'm using Tamiya cockpit green as my order of Mr color paints not turned up  yet and I can get Tamiya paints locally. Checked it on a conversion chart and it supposed to match, but I don't think it will matter as long as all the other parts requiring this colour are done the same. I'll  get some photos on tomorrow 

Cheers 

Current builds;

Completed:

As craig said  - sorry to hear about your missing parts  nothing is more annoying  or having wrong fitting parts  in a kit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Let us know how your correspondence with Hasegawa goes. I hope it works out quickly.

Like Craig's Avenger, I have always liked the Dauntless. A very effective platform in spite it's more advanced age and certainly a more petite and graceful looking plane.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

:(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Update on the missing parts,  as it was purchased through Amazon  I think it'll be easier to send it back and get another,  as the seller wishes to see photos which I have sent but heard nothing yet. Seller is Paraiso Japan EU. I have to wait 2 working days for a reply, so this build on hold for a bit. Sorry😥😡

Current builds;

Completed:

Just now, Edwardkenway said:

Update on the missing parts,  as it was purchased through Amazon  I think it'll be easier to send it back and get another,  as the seller wishes to see photos which I have sent but heard nothing yet. Seller is Paraiso Japan EU. I have to wait 2 working days for a reply, so this build on hold for a bit. Sorry😥😡

Amazon has great customer service. I'm confident they will take care of you in this matter.

Yes Amazon is very good with sorting things out, even if 3rd party seller is involved,  so one way or another it'll be sorted out.

Current builds;

Completed:

It's been resolved!! Full refund and still got the kit.

I may try and scratch the undercarriage and rear wings. The small details missing from the cockpit will be left out and then there just the rear gun cradle thingy, I will probably botch something together for that.

With the refund I think a Zero, Kate or Jill will fit the bill. Oh God I've got this bug now as well as the ships. Thanks a lot guys😂😉

Current builds;

Completed:

4 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Oh God I've got this bug now as well as the ships.

That will teach you not to watch the masters we have here do builds! Welcome to the (VERY) dark side!:ph34r:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The painting has started and I've done the few parts of the cockpit I have20200223_211447.thumb.jpg.6d4688d32fbc6901edb65103c6b29f28.jpg

I have just placed the bulkheads (not glued) and I've realised that the pilots seat is missing, oh well I'll get around that somehow. 

Til next time 

Cheers

Current builds;

Completed:

there always the after market.......you can get seats and likely other parts as well ;)   if your going to go down the rabbit hole.........you may as well go feet first.  you won't hit your head upon landing :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

there always the after market.......you can get seats and likely other parts as well ;)   if your going to go down the rabbit hole.........you may as well go feet first.  you won't hit your head upon landing :D 

I did think about aftermarket stuff but then found the main UK distributor for Hasegawa and dropped them an email,  the upshot being they are posting replacement parts to me😆 should arrive sometime next month as they are awaiting new edition of the Dauntless. So I'm just poking my head down the rabbit hole for now;)Until then I'll get some painting done or a bit more planking on Triton. 

Thanks for dropping by and all the likes. 

Cheers 😃👍

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

sounds good.......glad there is some light at the end of the tunnel.   for all the pain and aggravation that it's worth.........welcome to the rabbit hole  ;) 

you see the mad hatter, give 'em a hail

he'll call you over and join you in an ale

{no tea.....that's the kid's version ;) } 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 2/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, lmagna said:

That will teach you not to watch the masters we have here do builds! Welcome to the (VERY) dark side!:ph34r:

Yes, MSW needs to add a warning label to Craig's and other build logs on here.  I went from not having done a plastic kit since a kid to now having a bunch stacked up on a shelf - ships, planes, and now cars. :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

ships, planes, and now cars.

Don't even get me started on cars!:( My 1/24th collection/stash got totally out of hand years ago!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Yes, MSW needs to add a warning label to Craig's and other build logs on here.  I went from not having done a plastic kit since a kid to now having a bunch stacked up on a shelf - ships, planes, and now cars. :) 

Come on mike  - "show us  - show us"

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

27 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Come on mike  - "show us  - show us"

OC.

Yes don't just tease:D  I was also looking at car models and bikes and ships and tanks and guns!!!

I think that rabbit hole has just got bigger and sucked me in🤣🤣

Current builds;

Completed:

No way, sorry guys.  I would be too embarrassed. 🙄  It would be hard to show the true extent of the stash anyway because some of the boxes are two deep so that back ones aren't visible (in part so the Admiral doesn't realize the true extent) 😇  I rarely bought off eBay in the past, but it's a gold mine if you are looking for model kits.  Lesson #2 - stay off eBay.

I first started this summer by picking up the Hasegawa 1/350 Japanese aircraft carrier Akagi -- from Craig of all people -- yes, I blame him! 😁  That's like near the pinnacle of 1/350 kits, so I figured I should get experience with a few other 1/350 ship kits before tackling the Akagi.  That wasn't that bad.  Then I decided that I could use some practice on plastic with painting, weathering, PE, etc. so picked up a bunch of 1/700 ship kits (fairly inexpensive so not a big outlay until you buy the detail sets).  Then I came across WWI and WWII planes built by people like Plasmo on youtube.  Much shorter projects I convinced myself, so picked up a few of them.  Then somehow I got into cars from the 1910s-1930s era.  Picked up a few of those.  If you start looking at cars, be careful because it might lead you into buying some of the nicer kits like Revival and Pocher.  Picked up a few of those.  

I was telling a friend the other day that i tend to like the subjects represented by plastic models more than the wooden ones.  The ability to detail them with PE these days is incredible, and all the techniques, washes, airbrushes, etc. make painting them a whole new ballgame from me painting them by hand as a kid using Testor's enamels.  At the same time, I do like the flexibility of working with wood when it comes to wood models (including working with the various tools, woods, etc.) -- the kit subjects to me though are typically all the same (British warships with X amount of cannons) and tend to be less interesting to me for that reason.  To do different subjects you're looking at scratch building, and I'm not sure that I'd like to do all the research, CAD work, etc. that needs to go into the front end before you cut your first plank.

Good news is that I generally have picked these plastic kits up for significant discounts off of retail, so if I don't get to them, I can sell them without losing much if at all.  At some point the kids will leave the house and I'll be retired with plenty of free time.  The Admiral will be plenty glad that I have the stash or I will drive her crazy.  So, I'm thinking ahead to marital harmony.  At least that's what I tell myself.  

Ok, I'll be quiet now. 🤐

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

20 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

At some point the kids will leave the house and I'll be retired with plenty of free time.

Don't count on it Mike.

They may someday leave your residence but never your responsibility. This year will make 51 years of residence kids for me. The youngest turns 13 next month and I figure I will probably die before he gets out of the house!

I agree with the others though. I think you are well overdue for an inventory check and insurance photos, (In case of loss you know) then you will need to post the pictures so that there is proof of their existence.:D I promise I will not tell your wife......... Unless you have something I really want!😈 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Before I decided to give wooden boats a try, I was deep into 1:35 scale Tamiya armor kits. Mostly WWII  British, German and US, tanks and half-tracks. A few modern armor too. Probably 40 plus vehicles, all assembled, painted and now in plastic storage boxes after Admiral made me give up the bookshelves years ago.   Still a few in the stash. I know that rabbit hole well, I fell back down it after watching COG and RGL do their 1:350 destroyers.  

Edited by Jack12477

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I rarely bought off eBay in the past, but it's a gold mine if you are looking for model kits.  Lesson #2 -

I know exactly what you mean!!! And it's not just model kits, that's where my scroll saw came from, but I am limiting my viewing to once or twice maybe three times a week :P

Current builds;

Completed:

I’m currently in the corner repeating, “Don’t buy a plastic model, don’t buy a plastic model,” so I will currently attempt to show myself out. 😁