SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa - Edwardkenway-FINISHED

16 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

I’m currently in the corner repeating, “Don’t buy a plastic model, don’t buy a plastic model,” so I will currently attempt to show myself out. 😁

You know you want to  ........😉

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

16 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

In the words of the Borg " resistance is futile"  :D

17 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

Begone temptation! Ha, yeah I really do. I have this dream of building an awesome A-10, but I need to finish my ship first... and then probably line up a practice plane. Really airbrushes are putting my off mainly because I don’t know that I have the time to properly set it up and clean it right now (young kids so modeling time is in small periods usually).

3 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Begone temptation! Ha, yeah I really do. I have this dream of building an awesome A-10, but I need to finish my ship first... and then probably line up a practice plane. Really airbrushes are putting my off mainly because I don’t know that I have the time to properly set it up and clean it right now (young kids so modeling time is in small periods usually).

"Yummy  A-10  in European One Camo"   that would look awsome.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

An A-10 ?  Like this ?   Done with airbrush and Floquil paints about 20-25 years ago.  Weathering enhanced by common household dust. ;)  I forget what scale it is.  Camo pattern done free hand, no masking.

Actually airbrushing is not as daunting as you would think.  Takes a bit of practice but it is easily mastered. 

IMGP0150.JPG.7173589f48b410d5d3ff6ad98afd65e5.JPGIMGP0151.JPG.7ab6ac08a6b34f96390abc062721eb03.JPG

Edited by Jack12477

2 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

An A-10 ?  Like this ?   Done with airbrush and Floquil paints about 20-25 years ago.  Weathering enhanced by common household dust. ;)  I forget what scale it is.

Actually airbrushing is not as daunting as you would think.  Takes a bit of practice but it is easily mastered. 

IMGP0150.JPG.7173589f48b410d5d3ff6ad98afd65e5.JPGIMGP0151.JPG.7ab6ac08a6b34f96390abc062721eb03.JPG

Thats the one  - used to watch them when they were based over here in the Uk at Bentwaters and Woodbridge.

OC.

2 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Current builds  

Completed works.

15 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

An A-10 ?  Like this ? 

Very nice! I love the diorama look as well; that’s another thing that looks like a fun addition (making little, or big, dioramas).

4 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Takes a bit of practice but it is easily mastered.

Obviously you have not been following my attempt at building a Huey Jack. Every time I pull out the airbrush I am presented with what seems to be a new set of issues in trying to make it look right! So much for "easily mastered":( Unless you are talking about the airbrush being MY master.

LOVE your A-10 Jack. It deserves a little TLC now that you have brought it out into the light of day. I would enjoy seeing it all cleaned up. A number of years ago I had some business to conduct over at the the Naval Air Station locally and while I was there right at the mid runway area two A-10s took off and did a few circuits of the field at deck top level. I swear they made square turns at the end of the runway on each run! Ever since that day I have loved the aircraft. One of the few modern aircraft I hold a fondness for.  I asked the naval pilot I was with about Air Force planes using a Navy field and he said that it was OK "So long as they didn't poop on the runway." He said it with a straight face as well.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

51 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Obviously you have not been following my attempt at building a Huey Jack.

Oh I have been following it. You may be too harsh on yourself. I know I was until I got comfortable doing the "soft edge" camo patterns.  Really hard part is getting the paint to thinner ratio right. 

51 minutes ago, lmagna said:

LOVE your A-10 Jack. It deserves a little TLC now that you have brought it out into the light of day. I would enjoy seeing it all cleaned up. 

I did try to clean it up, but I think I made it worse. Those white blotches by the cockpit were the result of "cleaning".  I have not found a method that does not destroy the decals in the process even tho they are covered by a clear coat. 

Many many many years ago when our kids were real young we took them to a Thunderbirds air sow at Stewart Field in Newburg. We were sitting ion a hill overlooking the main runway. Two A-10s from ANG Niagara Falls took off in formation, once airborne they split up, one vectoring north and the other continuing west out of our sight. The announcer was describing the planes characteristics etc and we were trying to follow the north bound plane. All of a sudden the 2nd one came right over our heads from behind us about 500-800 ft above us, scared the crap out of everyone on that hill, NO ONE HEARD HIM COMING, no engine sound until he was right over us. Announcer was laughing cuz he knew what had just happened (as planned). 

The Thunderbirds were awesome but these two Wort Hogs  left a lasting impression on everone.

Edited by Jack12477

27 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Very nice! I love the diorama look as well; that’s another thing that looks like a fun addition (making little, or big, dioramas).

The runway/tarmac is preprinted cardstock, can't remember the company tho. The grass is RR scenery over papermache mound. The base is scrap plywood   

Update: @VTHokiEE : The tarmacs are from Verlinden Products probably out of production now since they retired and someone else took over the name.

Here's the other mini diorama  - in this one the tarmac is wet/dry emery paper

IMGP0152.JPG.f4749d3f3eec063c08d7ab0998b6ae28.JPGIMGP0153.JPG.3deef2d33d2ed545b30c523ee767e75e.JPG

Edited by Jack12477

When I was able to go to airshows back east the A-10's and F-15's were the crowd pleasers.    At the one's we had up until about 5 or 6 years ago here in the valley, it was WWI and WWII aircraft that got the attention.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

it was WWI and WWII aircraft that got the attention.  

That was true at the Reno Air Races years ago as well. Each year the Confederate Air force, (Now I understand it is called the Commemorative Air Force) or CAF flew a number of their restored aircraft. One part of their show was a "Pearl Harbor" attack where they flew their converted AT-6/Jap Zeros and P-40 in a simulated attack. At one point they flew their B-17 in on three engines and made it look like it crashed. Then a few minutes later it flew low level in the opposite direction on all fours and at the end of the runway would nose up and pull away to the right at the same time evading the "Zeros." One year it pulled up so hard that from the bleachers on the ground you could see the entire upper surface of the aircraft as it climbed away! It was a show stopper seeing a plane that large climb out like a fighter. I think it was about a year or two later when I got to ask the pilots about that year and how impressive it had been and why they didn't do it that way all of the time. They told me that on that occasion they may have over done the pullout just a little and the news people they had on board almost messed their pants!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

came in because I though the 1/16 funny car was interesting....now I want another one!  I started with plastic........then turned to wood.  I never used to have a stash either.........that sure changed in a hurry :rolleyes:  I like wood a bit more,  because I can replicate parts a lot faster and without a lot of tools.  I've saved the parts panels from several kits,  so if I'm bored,  I can clone a hull ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry there is no movement on the dauntless but still waiting for the parts to arrive, but on a better note the paints turned up.  Not got MR Color as the colours I wanted were out of stock,  so went with an Ammo/Mig US navy set. Now if only the parts would get here 🤔 

Thanks for all the likes, comments and conversations (which are always welcome)

Cheers 👍😉

Btw Jack you have got some good looking models there!!

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I've always found that it takes longer for a manufacturer to send replacement parts than it does to ship out a full kit, usually a month or two.......

But you guys are beginning to give me the itch for WWII US Navy birds again..... (the budget boss, and chief accountant, is not going to be happy)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

21 minutes ago, Egilman said:

But you guys are beginning to give me the itch for WWII US Navy birds again..... (the budget boss, and chief accountant, is not going to be 

I blame Craig and his many great projects 🤣🤣 and OC deserves a mention in dispatches, oh and Denis (popeye)😉😁

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

my favorites are bombers and WWI aircraft.   I seldom do jets...but I have an F 15 Eagle

504526392_1.jpg.2d0af420a7c813dca279f16053d502f5.jpg

I sometimes regret going totally into wood,  and not keeping up with the plastic medium.......did that about ten years.  I've forgotten so much it seems,  or I'm having to get my edge back.   well if your gonna go............go with a smile! 710467727_biggrin.jpg.5d6d258ccaba584b2de277e89f9a20ff.jpg

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

8 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

sometimes regret going totally into wood,  and not keeping up with the plastic medium.

Me too ! Was heavy into Tamiya 1:35 Armor mostly WWII. Lost a lot of my reference material especially Shep Paine's books on dioramas. 🤐  Most of my aircraft got busted and had to be thrown out.  Still have a few aircraft and all the armor. 

Edited by Jack12477

Yay, my parts arrived,  so it's back to modelling again. 20200321_214447.thumb.jpg.eb77e74319c8339f354be7ea9c9be6ec.jpg

Did another coat of tamiya cockpit green and then the first  pieces were glued.

Been so long since I've done a plastic kit I'd forgot that its best if you use proper styrene cement and not CA .

Next its the rear gun and engine.

Thanks for hanging on in here and the likes.👍

Cheers 😁

20200321_171216.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

On 3/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, Jack12477 said:

Me too ! Was heavy into Tamiya 1:35 Armor mostly WWII. Lost a lot of my reference material especially Shep Paine's books on dioramas. 🤐  Most of my aircraft got busted and had to be thrown out.  Still have a few aircraft and all the armor. 

Shep Paine helped sell a lot of Monogram kits with the diorama/detailing instructions that came in their kits in the 70's. Made a huge impression on me.

Btw a big up to Amerang UK for sending me the parts FOC, what a fantastic service especially as I was not a customer of theirs, I like to think that this is the norm for things!!

I'm not affiliated to this company in any way.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Good to see you making a start  Revell do a very good plastic glue called Contacta  has a fine metal tube so its nice and tidy.

Pic off the net.

OC.

th.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks OC , they've got that at hobbycraft,  only about 15 minutes from me, I'll nip and grab some tomorrow. 

Yes it's good to get going as I did think it was going to sir collecting dust forever 😏

Hope you and your Admiral stay safe and well through this madness we've got at the moment.!

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

3 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Thanks OC , they've got that at hobbycraft,  only about 15 minutes from me, I'll nip and grab some tomorrow. 

Yes it's good to get going as I did think it was going to sir collecting dust forever 😏

Its good stuff  and lasts as it only releases a small amount,   the tube can block  but if you put a thin needle down it with the end bent over  or  worse case  heat the end of the tube with a fine flame like a candle / lighter  it  releases the glue again.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well that's it I'm not waiting for my site to close, I'm not going to work after today. 

In between  mowing the lawn because the sun is out and cleaning the yard I've bee doing a bit on the dauntless. 

Put the engine together and completed the cockpit. 20200324_165453.thumb.jpg.544b9ec3c5441ed6d175984347392158.jpg

Dry fitted in fuselage to check it sits ok. It did so glued fuselage and taped it while it sets.

Wings next. 

Cheers till next time 😁👍

20200324_165517.jpg

20200321_214447.jpg

20200324_174256.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

Nice painting and progress Edward.

There is so much more cockpit detail in this kit compared to the Monogram kit of my youth.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

GAWD! youse guys with your US Navy builds....

(gotta... resist.... temptation......)

Gorgeous work my friend......

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"