Speedwell of 1752; a work in progress

This model at 1:48 scale and the subject of two volumes, is progressing well. Greg Herbert has almost completed the hull and fittings, while David Antscherl has provided the decorative carved works. Masts and spars are also currently under construction by Greg. Woods used in the model are Castello boxwood and holly. The model will be on display at the North-East Ship Model Conference, New London, at the end of April.

DSC02041.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

That's some beautiful work there Greg and David, and I love the colours of the box and holly

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I am looking forward to seeing this model in person.  Truly a work of art.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi David - 

I was wondering what you were working on.  Now I see, and seeing is believing just how excellent is the work you and Greg are executing.

The framing is clean and precise, the carvings are artistic gems.

I have signed up for a front row seat and have a full bucket of popcorn.

One question - how will the anchor cable lead outboard with the hawse piece set that high?

It looks like the aftmost support between the headrails will be in serious danger if the ship swings at anchor.

It is probably the angle of the photograph, but it did catch my eye.

See you in New London, if not before.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

The hawse arrangement was definitely designed that way, Dan. If the inner hawsehole was used it would have worn the main rail fairly quickly! I had noticed that peculiarity some time ago.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I should have known that your eagle eye would have spotted the curiosity already.

Be well

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

• 3 weeks later...

It is a really nice ship and would be a nice intro to POF building. Unfortunately for me trying to carve these figures now would be an epic fail.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

On 2/20/2020 at 1:34 PM, druxey said:

David Antscherl has provided the decorative carved works.

Are those all hand carved?  Amazing!

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Yes, David Antscherl carved them all with micro chisels, a steady hand and fine eyes. Keep in mind they are much smaller in person. Ironically, I have not seen my model since David added the carvings. We were supposed to meet at the April NW Ship Modelers meeting but that is no longer the case. I have been working on the masts and spars and shall post some photos of them in a day or so.

Capt. Hook - she's a lovely little model even without the carvings. We were going to cast them and offer for sale but they're just too delicate with numerous undercuts.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Good evening Greg,

That's a bit of a disappointment that you wont be producing cast carvings. I'd have certainly bought a set for my POB version of Speedwell. Guess my model will have to be undecorated,I couldn't carve like that if my life depended on it. I may try to do a bodge job tho'.

Dave :dancetl6:    

I bought the first volume of this build with the goal of starting it after my current project. I had thought that I would reduce the scale to 1:64, but after seeing the carvings, maybe not. I sure hope the instructions on how to achieve a passable result are well documented, otherwise I'm going to be on David's doorstep for instruction!

Tom

4 hours ago, dvm27 said:

David has devoted a lot of real estate to Speedwell's carving in Volume Two!

Looking forward to vol 2

Superb work by both of you, I cannot wait to see you rig her Greg. A shame about all the meetings being called off - I would maybe of tried to come and see her and you at New London.

ben

On 4/1/2020 at 7:52 PM, dvm27 said:

Capt. Hook - she's a lovely little model even without the carvings.

Thank goodness for that. Speedwell is my planned "final" build. The carving would be beyond me.

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Greg,

I finally woke up and read the note on page 219 to see that my question was answered there. However, if all this communication here has alerted others to this magnificent volume, and something that should be owned by all, then we're ahead of the game! That you've laid out 3 construction methods POF, POB and lift and in such a way that makes it easy to follow regardless of the method chosen is a phenomenal effort on your part. We don't do knighthoods in this country, but maybe you'd consider a sainthood?

Tom

Well thank you Tom but really, most of the credit goes to David Antscherl. He's the true talent behind all of this. I just prove his work. I've been blessed to have him both as mentor and business partner for twenty years now and it's been a fantastic partnership. I take pride in knowing we have advanced this wonderful hobby to some small degree.

For those not familiar with the actual Speedwell build log it may be viewed at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/370-speedwell-by-dvm27-greg-herbert-ketch-rigged-sloop-1752/

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752