GEMMA 1863 - hyw-1:36

I think it would be very interesting for the tool-junkies among us to have a presentation of your workshop - see the thread 'Where do you do your's then ... ".

Do you do a sping-cleaning every time you take pictures ? I don't see any saw-dust whatsover

😯

Very crisp work on the patent spill and the pump indeed. Just to pick a bit at it (apologies): it shouldn't actully be spur wheels with straight teeth (see image below), but rather a 'ratched' wheels ...

DSC00675.JPG.718f59f0426a5d4d067ed1e3340eb8c7.JPG

Ratchet

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Eberhard

I think that hyw - unfortunately he didn`t tell us his name - built the winch strictly according to the drawing released by ANCRE.

So there`s got to be a different way to lock the gears to prevent the winch from spinning reverse.

A gear that`s shaped like a circular saw blade with a pawl, that engages at the steep side of rhe teeth, is self-locking indeed.

But I think that self-locking of the winch on this particular ship is obtained in a different way.

Moving the long two-sided lever seems to spin the winch. Perhaps friction prevents it from spinning reverse.

E.g. you turn a rotary table by turning it`s worm gear. But you can`t turn the worm gear by turning the table.

It`s self-locking without a pawl to be engaged.

Michael

Marvellous work on Gemma.

Michael, all the wheels are ratched wheels in fact. There are a couple of pawls inside the levers that are made from two hollow castings and that are retained by a groove turned on each face of the wheels. There is somewhere a drawing of this Armstrong patent windlass on the Web. The GEMMA drawings don't seem to be quite correct in this respect.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 3/11/2020 at 6:47 PM, wefalck said:

I think it would be very interesting for the tool-junkies among us to have a presentation of your workshop - see the thread 'Where do you do your's then ... ".

Do you do a sping-cleaning every time you take pictures ? I don't see any saw-dust whatsover

😯

Very crisp work on the patent spill and the pump indeed. Just to pick a bit at it (apologies): it shouldn't actully be spur wheels with straight teeth (see image below), but rather a 'ratched' wheels ...

DSC00675.JPG.718f59f0426a5d4d067ed1e3340eb8c7.JPG

Ratchet

Thank you for pointing that out. I did misinterpret. When this piece is finished, I will post a separate post showing the tools I created and designed. Keeping the work environment clean is a good habit, and the chip in the process also has a great impact on accuracy, so I use two high-performance vacuum cleaner to clean garbage.

On 3/12/2020 at 6:03 AM, bricklayer said:

Eberhard

I think that hyw - unfortunately he didn`t tell us his name - built the winch strictly according to the drawing released by ANCRE.

So there`s got to be a different way to lock the gears to prevent the winch from spinning reverse.

A gear that`s shaped like a circular saw blade with a pawl, that engages at the steep side of rhe teeth, is self-locking indeed.

But I think that self-locking of the winch on this particular ship is obtained in a different way.

Moving the long two-sided lever seems to spin the winch. Perhaps friction prevents it from spinning reverse.

E.g. you turn a rotary table by turning it`s worm gear. But you can`t turn the worm gear by turning the table.

It`s self-locking without a pawl to be engaged.

Michael

Marvellous work on Gemma.

Although I made the locking mechanism according to the drawings, I did misinterpret the shape of the gears.

If this is an advertisement for awesome clamps and tools, count me in! I want them al!!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

Stunning work!  Did you make those thimbles, clew hooks etc yourself?  If you did, could you please show us how you did it?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

12 hours ago, Voyageur said:

If this is an advertisement for awesome clamps and tools, count me in! I want them al!!

Thank you for your attention. Since I have to focus on my model project, these tools are just a hobby, and processing them takes up a lot of my time, so I'm sorry not to sell them.

3 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Stunning work!  Did you make those thimbles, clew hooks etc yourself?  If you did, could you please show us how you did it?

cheers

Pat

Thank you for your attention. Many of the unpublished tools in this image were created by me. I mainly use the lathe processing, milling processing way production. I also like to make any part of my model in these ways; after this piece is finished, I'll post another post about my various diy tools. Have a nice life!

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

I think we all would love to see photos of the processes, the stages of fabrication, and not only the brilliant products ...

I'm sorry I didn't live up to your expectations. Almost all of my work, especially when I'm working on a machine, I never take pictures that aren't relevant, just to be safe and to make sure there are no mistakes.

Thanks for the explanation; they are among the best fittings I have seen made - you truly have a remarkable talent. 

Thanks for sharing

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

5 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Thanks for the explanation; they are among the best fittings I have seen made - you truly have a remarkable talent. 

Thanks for sharing

Pat

Thank you for your comments. I came to this world-class Forum through the introduction of friends, very like the atmosphere and environment here, hope to learn a lot of master works can improve their level, do my best to do each work.

Oh my God....does it get any better than this?!!! Astonishingly masterful work!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild