SpyGlass

Working with MDF

1 hour ago, tkay11 said:

@chris watton: do you have a recommendation for a particular supplier of MDF in the UK, or at least a type? There seems to be a huge range of suppliers as well as a largish range of MDF types. Looking online, it is hard to know the difference apart from statements such as 'high quality', 'moisture resistant'  and with a range of densities.

Tony

Like plywood, for laser cutting, it cannot be any MDF sheet, it needs to be laser compatible. Some glues and resins used in the manufacture of ply and MDF are not suited (outdoor use types, I think), so 'Laser Compatible' ply and MDF must be used, which are indoor types.

I did order a couple of sheets of 0.8mm ply that was a lot cheaper than what I was expecting. When laser cutting, I understood why, the laser burnt the glue, leaving the parts very blackened. I suspect the same would apply to certain varieties of MDF. I use 'Medite Premier MDF sheets'. I have bought sheets from Italy and the UK, there is no difference at all.

I greatly preferred the MDF bulkheads in the Amati Pegasus kit over the plywood and basswood in other kits.  No flex and incredibly strong.  Be careful with the dust  and fumes though, especially if using power tools.  Really bothered my lungs when I was working on the Pegasus.

I'm building Chris's 1:64 Zulu and had no problem bevelling the bulkheads with a Dremel at 9000rpm, or fairing the hull before planking. Again, these parts are MDF.

I've also been using the wonderful Amati nails that Chris uses in his kits. These are sharp and very fine. I've inserted these through the lime wood and into the MDF with no problems either and no need to pilot a hole first. 

16 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I greatly preferred the MDF bulkheads in the Amati Pegasus kit over the plywood and basswood in other kits.  No flex and incredibly strong.  Be careful with the dust  and fumes though, especially if using power tools.  Really bothered my lungs when I was working on the Pegasus.

Same for me...first time I didn't used a dusk mask. That did not go well...my lungs felt bad afterwards. So now always wearing a mask.

My plates of the Pegasus were a bit flexed, but they replaced it immediately.