Hanse Kogge by Catopower - FINISHED - Shipyard - 1/72 scale - CARD

Great job Clare,

I have thought about a change of pace from wood to card.

Seeing your build log has inspired me to think harder.

The details are top class and you are doing an excellent job.

Will be following your build.

Paul 

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Hi etubino,

No, the only "tools" in the kit are the brushes I showed in the photos. 

I don't exactly know that the tools is that is shown in that picture. A tiny awl, maybe? I plan on simply using a sewing needle to make holes large enough to pass thread through. Probably soak the end of the thread with thin CA glue and then cut a sharp tip after the glue has dried, giving the thread a built-in needle.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare,

Yup, that was me.  Package received this AM.  Very fast delivery time!!!

I may do a build log if I can remember what I did with my camera.

I will be following your build log as well as Chris'.  While 'wonder dog' is slightly different than Bremen Cog, the basic hull is pretty close.  :cheers:

It appears that parts 2, 3, 4 and 5 (stem, keelson and sternpiece) are 2 parts each.  Do you glue them together (2I and 2S, etc) before gluing to part 1?  It is unclear.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

1 hour ago, Chuck Seiler said:

'wonder dog'

It's "mad dog". 😂  Took me a second or two to figure out what was meant by "wonder dog."

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Oh maaaaaaaaaan!  I was hoping to paint the 1960's cartoon character on the sail....oh wait, that was Under Dog.

😛

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

5 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

It appears that parts 2, 3, 4 and 5 (stem, keelson and sternpiece) are 2 parts each.  Do you glue them together (2I and 2S, etc) before gluing to part 1?  It is unclear.

Never mind.  I see the pieces affix to the sides of part 1 making it 3 ply.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, catopower said:

Hi etubino,

No, the only "tools" in the kit are the brushes I showed in the photos. 

I don't exactly know that the tools is that is shown in that picture. A tiny awl, maybe? I plan on simply using a sewing needle to make holes large enough to pass thread through. Probably soak the end of the thread with thin CA glue and then cut a sharp tip after the glue has dried, giving the thread a built-in needle.

Clare

Ok , thanks a lot Clare

Never Fear, Wunder Hund is here!  I'll take Charlie Weaver to block.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Art,

YES!  You got the reference.  Wally was in upper left corner, Charlie in lower left (if I recall). 

Wow, we've really gotten off topic, eh?

Clare,

Hull frame complete.  The cardboard planks look robust enough to be workable.  Pressing on.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Wasn't Paul Lynde in the center? 

Chuck, I hope you will start a build log. I'm curious about the differences between the Hanse Kogge and the Wütender Hund.

And, I think the proper line would be: There's no need to fear. Unter Hund is here!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

And now for something completely different...

Decide that while I'm moving slowly and carefully forward on the hull planking, I'd take a moment to start working on the painting of the sails. 

There's a single square sail on the ship, with a bonnet laced to the bottom, making 2 pieces to the sail.

The sail will be painted with red checkerboard pattern along the sides, and a red shield in the center, bearing a key-shaped pattern.

The sail cloth is first painted with a mixture forming a dirty beige color, which actually looks very good for a weather cloth look. In the photo below, you can see where I've painted most of the main sail, but the left side and the bonnet have yet to be painted.

IMG_0532.jpg.2a6be575a202e0b49103d33839e084db.jpg

The instructions weren't very clear here and I just assumed it was best to paint the whole sail with this mixture first before painting the red markings. I think the beige undercoat will help keep the red paint from bleeding through a lot. Though, maybe it should be allowed to bleed through completely?

Anyway, having fun and will start painting the red patterns tomorrow.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare,

I need to find my camera before I start a build log.  I will see if I can find it this weekend.  I will refrain from using my cell phone--the iconic pictures of bigfoot are paragons of clarity compared to my cell phone pictures.  If all else fails, I will compare notes.

I may need advice on painting.  While not intended, I think the painting of the unobserved hold area serves as a practice for the other areas.  I started painting with old #3 and realized I would HAVE to water it down, or else you cannot se the lines thru the paint.  I am stalled on the next step.  Will that be a consistent color/wash or should there be streaks in it?  There is apparently a third step as well...algae green. 

I am assuming you don't have to get the ratios exactly correct.  If so, I am doomed.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

14 hours ago, catopower said:

Chuck, I hope you will start a build log. I'm curious about the differences between the Hanse Kogge and the Wütender Hund.

Comparing what I see here and my plans/part, I would say the basic hull structure is exactly alike-man deck down.  Mast and yards and rigging exactly the same except for the fighting top on Wonder Dog.  Also WD has the bodacious forward castle.  HK has what I will call a basic quarterdeck with wings and associated bulwark extended to the second shroud so that it forms a U.  WD does not have the wings and the bulwarks are extended with notches (there is a name for that, but it escapes me) for archers.  WD also has red decorative stuff and a cool jalapeno eating direwolf on the sail.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck, glad you've started anyway. 

Yes, I mentioned earlier in my build log that I found I had to thin down the 03 paint so that the lines showed through. Also, that I found it works best to let this dry 24 hours before applying the next color.

The streaks that are formed by the brush strokes seem to be normal and I have found that they mostly end up looking a bit like wood grain. Once you get past the fact that they're actually brush strokes, you'll see it that way.

My paint ratio mixture is approximate. I just made a batch of the mixture, so that I'd have some generally consistent color mix. But, if you read my notes on the build, you'll see that I actually made a couple different shades. 

The Hanse Kogge kit does have me add any green to the finish. I think that's a way to get a more naturally weathered look. After applying that final wash (again giving each paint layer 24 hours to dry), I think everything will kind of blend together a little better.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Today, I painted the red sheild on the sail. It was definitely challenging painting right up to the inside of the printed lines of the pattern. 

As you can see, I started by working out the edges of the pattern first, then filled in the middle. 

IMG_0533.jpg.30cd3dc8600e78574adf4e802003a02f.jpg

The red paint included in the kit is a very, very intense red. the instructions weren't very clear on painting the red color. But, when I look back, I think it is trying to say to mix it with the sail color mix I made earlier. However, I also wanted to darken it a bit. So, I made a batch of red, mixed with the sail color mixture, and added a dab of black paint to it. I wasn't sure how this would look, but I think it works okay.

IMG_0535.jpg.3671f0adf7ed26a2ab77704080cadf04.jpg

The above image shows the shield painted with what looks like a key image. Definitely a challenge, but I really enjoyed the painting task. 

One thing I ended up with is a bit of the red color bleeding through to the back side. I tried painting this out on the back with the sail color, which seems to be working okay, for the most part.

Next, I have to paint the checkerboard pattern along the edges of the sail. Also, I finished prepping the next couple planks which I'll also be adding to the hull.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Chris,

Embrasure, yes, thanks.

Clare,

The second coat is thinned as well, correct?

I agree, the kit supplied red is far too bright.  I will either do as you have done, or tap into my artist acrylics and make a barn red. 🐄

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, catopower said:

shield painted with what looks like a key image

The key is part o the coat of arms of Bremen, one of the cities in the Hanseatic League, and symbolizes the city's patron saint, Simon Petrus. It dates back to 1366.

150px-Bremen_Wappen(Mittel)_svg.png.0137a615d0477c4f2603a607bedfd19c.png

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

17 hours ago, ccoyle said:

The key is part o the coat of arms of Bremen, one of the cities in the Hanseatic League, and symbolizes the city's patron saint, Simon Petrus. It dates back to 1366.

Excellent info, thank you Chris!

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

13 hours ago, Chuck Seiler said:

The second coat is thinned as well, correct?

I agree, the kit supplied red is far too bright.  I will either do as you have done, or tap into my artist acrylics and make a barn red. 🐄

Chuck, yes, I thinned everything.

Just for the record, the paints included in the kit are artist acrylics. They are from a Polish company called Renesans. In the early days of these boxed laser-cut kits, they just included the paint tubes. Later, I think Shipyard bought it cheaper in bulk and filled their own jars.

Just curious, which color numbers come in the Wütender Hund kit?

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare,

2 x number 3 (already misplaced 1  😕) . 1 each #01, 06, 08, 15, 29 and 30.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Finished up the painting of the sail. Was a nice break from planking – I understood what I was doing, for the most part!

IMG_0539.jpg.94fdea632a641c4898bdb9c45e3df6d6.jpg

I have a slight issue showing up with the hull planking – the plank ends at the stern shouldn't be overlapping the sternpost like this. Looking ahead in the instructions, it doesn't like like this should cause any problems, but seeing this as your building the model is a little troubling.

IMG_0536.jpg.36f3bd77fea81366de255a55d9496ec2.jpg

Meanwhile, planking the hull continues. As you have seen, I'm high up enough on the hull that the inboard side of the planks are becoming exposed, so they have to painted prior to installation.

Note that the stem (and hence the bow) is on the right.

IMG_0541.jpg.22544391c833ec8e5d9d770e36c5ddf6.jpgIMG_0542.jpg.8356bedb52bb324d8040df7410bcae2e.jpg

So, the planking continues and I'm now preparing the deck for installation.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 1:45 PM, catopower said:

I have a slight issue showing up with the hull planking – the plank ends at the stern shouldn't be overlapping the sternpost like this. Looking ahead in the instructions, it doesn't like like this should cause any problems, but seeing this as your building the model is a little troubling.

Clare,

Will you trim those ends up at some time in the future or just cover over?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

That paint job really looks good.  The nails are looking a lot better too.  Now that I know what I am looking at, it probably makes a diff. 

I plan on doing nails in pencil before I give it the old #3.  Hopefully they will be a bit more subdued.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck,

I think I can get by with simply covering those ends over. There is actually a piece that's supposed to cover the ends, and that, in turn, will be underneath the stern castle structure, so I don't think it will be a problem. But, when it comes to it, who knows? I may just trim those ends off anyway. 

On the nails, I actually painted mine a dark gray, adding a bit of 3 to the 30. But, Druxey had a good idea about using a Pigma marker pen. I've already committed to painting and didn't want to change horses mid-stream. Should work and might make a quick job of the nail heads.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I have some PIGMA Micron markers.  I will experiment with a medium brown and a pencil.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Clare,

I am looking at the painting and have some questions. 

After the first wash of #03 I have a wash of 15/29/30 (yellow/brown/black) which is supposed to be the basic wood, followed by a second wash of 15/29/30 in different proportions that are meant to simulate wood grain.  First ratios are 6:25:5 while the second are 6:1:1.  This doesn't make sense to me.  The first set of ratios would seem to make a darker color. 

Am I wrong or did I get the ratios wrong? :default_wallbash:

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild