Hanse Kogge by Catopower - FINISHED - Shipyard - 1/72 scale - CARD

More progress... 

While working on the sail, I was also working on adding the shrouds to the mast. Today, I finally finished seizing the ends around the deadeyes, and started the process of reeving the lanyards through the deadeyes.

IMG_2372.jpg.89e16b62669e9cfae5cf5a6762330bd6.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg.feb5c4c61b45fa69cb3687511a10410c.jpg

The actual forestay will replace that white line, and I also have to rig a pair of backstays after the shrouds are complete.

IMG_2382.jpg.d8ac6b232731474afe76ca0a6383822a.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg.de65bc238bb5925da38fb9d76c862749.jpg

One issue I ran into is that the holes in the cardboard deadeyes close up from the soft cardboard material. I tried running a need through them to open them up, and I tried drilling them out. Problem is that they close up again – at least enough to keep the rigging line from threading easily through the holes.

I finally use some thin CA on the deadeyes, which hardened the cardboard. Then, I could drill them out and the holes pretty much stayed clear. However, I did run the needle through them just before threading the line through. This worked like a charm. 

The only trick is that it was hard to reach the lower deadeyes and drill them out. I had to hold a block of wood behind them as I drilled out the holes. It was the only way I could get leverage on them.

If you look closely, you might notice that I also added some of the blocks and cleats to the deck and hull. Still more of those to do. Of course, I still have to secure those shroud lanyards.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Have you tried the drop of thin CA on the line to get it through the hole?   I find that works very well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

36 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Have you tried the drop of thin CA on the line to get it through the hole?   I find that works very well.

Hi Mark, yes I do that with my wooden blocks too. But, wooden blocks stay open and these seem to close up again after I clean the holes. So, the stiffened line just buckles instead of passing through. I thought about using a needle threader, but I haven't needed to use one in many years, and I didn't want to make a special trip to the store just to fine one.

I've found that, in general, if I use my own laminated computer printer paper to build up parts, I don't have this problem. But, parts made from thicker card stock, not just paper, tend to have a squishy, fibrous interior. They also often buckle, crush, or delaminate unless you stiffen them with something.

Druxey, thanks for the nice comments. I try to be neat, but sometimes the parts fight me, and they often win... 

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Work continues, and I've done quite a bit.

'But, I'm at the stage of rigging, where it seems that I have little to show for all the time I've spent on the build lately.

I've been working on the main stay, the backstays, added brace pendants to the main yard, working on the lift pendants, added blocks all over... Still, nothing worthy of posting an update photo!

Still, I predict in another week or so, I'll be wrapping up the rigging of the Hanse Kogge von Bremen model.

Stay tuned...

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Coming together very nicely, Clare.

But what's that thing hanging in front of the mast?

Steven

Druxey, okay, very pun-ney! 😄

Steven, yes, as Druxey pointed out, it's a clip. I often use those to keep tension on loose lines that I'm working on. In this case the halliard for the main (the only) yardarm. 

The halliard is wrapped around the windlass, and through a sheave hole (fake, as there's no actual sheave), and this also keeps the line from falling back out of that hole.

But, the clip is also left over from using the halliard as a plumb line to help me gauge that the mast is straight.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Clare,

Coming together nicely.  The shrouds look great-no twist.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks Chuck,

Hey, are you planning to use the kit supplied rigging line? That's what I'm using here.

It's real linen line, but that makes it a little fuzzy, so I'm using a lot of beeswax on it. It also results in stiffer line, and I think the linen line is helping to keep the "twisties" to a minimum.

Overall, I kind of like the aged look of the rigging line. Or, maybe it just reminds me of my 'old days' of ship modeling, before Syren rope, morope, etc.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I probably will.  I have Chuck's Rope Rocket, but have not  managed to make any rope yet.  I will be using conservator's wax to keep down the fuzzies.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi Chuck,

I used to make my own model rope from linen line. I had the crudest ropewalk ever (I could have probably won a contest), but it worked okay for me. Also tried to build a fancy motorized ropewalk, but had problems with it. I suppose I'll just get Chuck's Rope Rocket at some point myself.

On wax, I tried conservator's wax, but I must not be using it correctly. It's Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish. It goes on squishy and stays squishy, and it has a strong odor. I know people have been advising against beeswax, but it works well for me. And, so far, I haven't seen any model rigging degradation. The oldest model I have used it on is about 25 years old. So, I figure it will do.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

14 hours ago, catopower said:

Steven, yes, as Druxey pointed out, it's a clip.

Aha! Thanks.

Steven

Your ship looks very special Clare.  Wonderful model. Captures the feeling  of it's era...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Hi Moab, thanks for the nice comments.

I'm well into the rigging, but it's been a while since I've done any rigging work - Japanese boats have very little, if any. So, I'm not really accustomed to doing this kind of work these days. And it feels like the more I do, the more that's left to do.

IMG_2396.thumb.jpg.696188c33c2d6cfffffb2a4e11d95273.jpg

IMG_2395.thumb.jpg.5c822ad6485b1cc4b3d432d1559d8d74.jpg

Kind of reminds me of one of those school math problems: Joe owes Ted $50. Ted agrees to let Joe make monthly payments equal to half of the remaining balance. How long before the debt is paid???

IMG_2394.thumb.jpg.e9af40a3799caa6473fb5156eb9c08ee.jpg

You can probably see a few loose lines, unused blocks, etc.  There's still a little ways to go, but I kind of pooped out and didn't get anything done today. Still, we're oh-so-close to the end of this build!

The one thing that's conceivably out of place are the bright new flags at the stern, given how well worn the rest of the ship looks. But, the kind of material the flags are made from feel a bit like plastic, rather than simple paper. I didn't think I could "fade" them effectively. 

However, I can justify them by noting that the flags were brand new, just purchased by the captain for this voyage. Anyway, they're not like the sail, which has to be kept up in all kinds of weather. Flags can be washed too.

IMG_2398.thumb.jpg.dcd0d852b3eb9878eea81bad7131c1d1.jpg

Won't be long now – stay tuned!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Here it is, May 1st, and the Hanse Kogge von Bremen is done!

The ship was officially launched first thing this morning after a final rigging session that took place yesterday, after I discovered a couple lines I'd left off. The last step was for me to repair and reinstall the rudder, which has been knocked off so many times that I've lost count. 

This morning, she set sail and I took the opportunity to take plenty of photos. I'll post some of them here, but the majority will be in the gallery in a little bit.

IMG_2418.thumb.jpg.75622bf6fea0ebdd843d4340e2f9b3a0.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg.30943eb0a5cd30514fc8216b909d0edf.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg.4cc03d9b4828b9fbdde58032ac48330d.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg.7a1b4277e6ddece10466e597ede16ff3.jpg

IMG_2433.thumb.jpg.68cf227d25d43e4444a29e6c2bed1aa7.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg.d4468e830730d4303023d975b55eaf2b.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg.ccc48527620adc8818d86583aa8d7263.jpg

And so closes this chapter in ship modeling. 

This was my first card model that featured all laser-cut parts. My first card model was Shipyard's paper model of HMS Alert, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and was amazed at how it turned out. This model, I'm not so amazed by, but only because I now know what is possible from a card model. I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and impressed by this kit, which required no shaping of parts by me. 

Shipyard's technique for simulating wood by painting the white card stock work out quite well, though I couldn't follow their method exactly. You certainly learn with every model you build, and I learned or re-learned quite a bit with this project.

I could see myself taking on another card model in the future. But, for now, I have some wood projects to get back to, include a couple subjects from my incomplete build logs here on MSW. So, I'm going to work on finishing up my Japanese northern port coastal transport next, among other things.

Thanks everyone for your support on my Bremen Cog build!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Well done!!!  I am inspired to complete mine.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Congrats Clare.  Beautifully done.   To look at it, it looks like wood and not card.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, catopower said:

When the NRG conference finally does happen at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum, maybe we will both have cogs on display?

Sounds like a plan.  :champagne-2:

54 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

To look at it, it looks like wood and not card.

I have had people who have seen Cardy-dog up close say the same thing.  It isn't until they pick it up and see how light it is do they realize its not wood.  The way they have you paint it, the ratios of colors, really works out well.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

You've done a magnificent job with her, Clare. Truly a model to be proud of. (And yes, I'd have sworn she was wood.)

Steven

It doesn't get any better than your model! Beautiful...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways