1:48 HMS Ontario - out now!

James H

Hi all,

MarisStella, in cooperation with The Art of Age of Sail, have just released their new kit, the 1:48 HMS Ontario. This is a multimedia kit, including many traditional elements, but also some 3D-printed , resin, and photo-etched parts. Finished model will be 81cm long. 

We promise to being you an in-box review of this as soon as we can. 

http://www.marisstella.hr/gotovi_modeli_galery.php?id=1111&tip=2&hms-ontario-81cm-1-48

image0000.jpg

image0001.jpg

image0003.jpg

image0005.jpg

image0006.jpg

image0008.jpg

image0009.jpg

image0011.jpg

image0012.jpg

image0013.jpg

image0014.jpg

image0016.jpg

image0017.jpg

image00031.jpg

image00081.jpg

Renderings look very good. But as said, too early to judge before seing the built model or at least box content. Is it POB or some 3D printed hull etc?

Length 81cm is very nice, fits my display case, what would be the height of the model?

The expectations are high, but so is the price tag, so lets see what's in it.

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

The kit will be produced by MarisStella, and based on the quality of their previous kit offerings (look for finished examples in the galleries), this kit should be very, very good.

http://www.marisstella.hr/

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hello modelers....

Yes, you are right! Here is not said anything about materials used into the kit.... Materials are classics from MarisStella: we always take care of using first class wood, fittings and ropes...

The images are rendered cad drawings. This is because the main thought was to emphasize the severity of the creation of this project. The main stream is MarisStella projects' work and Reconstruction done by The Art of Age of Sail. We have many very accurate drawings that make all 4 sheets of draft together. These sheets are 900x100mm large. The quality of the project is put onto first place here taking on mind that the way of realization of MarisStella kits is not unknown ...  Laser cut panels, here are 15 of them, are very good, usually done. Large photo-etched sheet as well... The point is to create accurate reconstruction, elements and drawings that are promising a really good made model in the end.

Here I post photographs of the model. It is completely wooden... The kit includes 28 3D printed elements. They are, for example, anchors or guns designed especially for this model.  ... Here is a surprise about the transom: 3D printed elements become wooden in the end ... Height of the model is 61,1cm ...

1206904872_forMSW_22_ONTARIO__UP-RE_A4colorcoverDDD.jpg.b10a45d564fcc5aa82409ac29154d61f.jpg1616496353_forMSW__22_ONTARIO__UP-RE_A4colorcoverb.jpg.4d1cb0c100722dc2a37054d839e3915b.jpg

Edited by MarisStella.hr

6 hours ago, MarisStella.hr said:

Materials are classics from MarisStella: we always take care of using first class wood, fittings and ropes...

It's a beautiful model, Zoran, and a nice additional to your wonderful line of ship models. Congratulations!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

A brief history of the ship here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ontario_(1780)

At the bottom of this page is some video footage of the wreck:

http://www.shipwreckworld.com/articles/shipwreck-explorers-discover-1780-british-warship-in-lake-ontario

For more detail, check out this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Legend-Lake-22-Gun-Brig-Sloop-Ontario/dp/1550821865

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Interested in the review.   Curious about which parts are the 3d printed parts.  

Here they are: specially designed gun barrels, anchors, top of belfry, windlass , complete bow decoration, transom and side badges... Here is new technique applied, a MarisStella innovation: Transom and side badges are to be planked with thin wooden strips so they look wooden in the end ... When talking about innovations, MarisStella has 8 innovations connected to the techniques of constructing the models and all of them are very well accepted (received). They are applied at MarisStella Model Ship Kit product line ...

Hope this was helpful...

545244696_2427HMSOntario1-48MarisStellaModelShipKits.jpg.63ac41cfc2f73ca224a84ac66f4e31d3.jpg639405474_2428HMSOntario1-48MarisStellaModelShipKits.jpg.21f47aa52a23c3ccab2443d125f4e9a9.jpg362685422_2429HMSOntario1-48MarisStellaModelShipKits.jpg.df4e6064f010bccbefea60df2d15bab5.jpg

Edited by MarisStella.hr

• 1 month later...

For those wondering what it might look like in wood, see this video.

https://youtu.be/LeGoaXj9jeQ

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks for the link, Elijah. Are you thinking doing this model?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Seven years has passed since the video release. Interesting announcement.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Yeah, I don't know the timeline of the developement of the kit, I didn't initially notice the time gap you mentioned. Still, the video is made by the person who worked with Marisstella, so I would think the kit would be fairly similar. As to your question Bob, I've looked at it, but I think it's a little outside of my budget. 

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

36 minutes ago, Elijah said:

As to your question Bob, I've looked at it, but I think it's a little outside of my budget. 

So maybe something to look forward to in the future for you, Elijah! 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

The video itself is nice and I found it longer time ago when trying to find any more info on the kit. But as said, am not sure whether the all wooden model presented in video is what is in the kit. The kit looks just great, still, for the given price, am still eagerly waiting to see the real box content photo, manual, description on wood used etc... Well, hobby is about patience :)

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

You can ask Marisstella.  The owner is on MSW and has a topic.  I see that he posted to this topic back on the 14th.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, wow, I've dreamed of building this ship! I grew up not far from where she sank and have a signed copy of the book about her (and the subsequent discovery efforts). I always thought I'd have to scratchbuild this, but now maybe not? Someday... Meanwhile, I strongly recommend the book (linked to by an earlier poster) as very well written and quite interesting for anyone interested in the design, construction, and operation of sailing vessels on the Great Lakes (some noticeable differences with marine conditions).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all , sorry for not be able to reply earlier...  Here is a top graded version of this kit. New version of instructions is included : 120 pages with colored 3D cad isometrics illustrations showing composing of this model. Still, some experience is needed because this is not an simplified model... Original 3D printed parts make it be not cheap... In the end everything is covered with wood or painted matt black, so 3D print is not visible when the model is completed... If You are interested, if You would like to know about dispatching or price, or if You have any related question, please place inquiry to  http://www.ageofsail.net/aoskit1.asp  or to http://www.marisstella.hr/model-ship-kits-marisstella  ... You are welcome to discuss...

Here is change about cannons: new carriages and cannons are included into kits already and they look like this:

220105174_2422aHMSOntario1-48MarisStellaModelShipKits.jpg.91778ae480248cbe3aa0b3f36a187000.jpg

• 9 months later...

After viewing the video, I am surprised seeing the 3D printed parts.

If one is not careful when removing the supports you will damage the printed part.
So they invested time and effort for those parts while creating a cheap ship stand. 
I had hoped a little higher standard from Mari-Stella.

I look forward seeing a build log.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hello Nirvana...

The point is that here is a complete new technique of modelling the stern. We use 3D printed stern as a mold for the planking. Read below please...

Regarding the stand: it is a laser-cut wooden stand that needs to be neat and decorated. It goes with the colors of this ship... and of course, when this model is done well, it is the best to use one of ours heavy solid walnut wooden bases. Because they are heavy, they would raise the price of the shipping a lot, so this heavy solid wooden base is not included into the kit... Here are some samples below...

You have mentioned breaking of the elements: of course, you can break an cast metal anchor if you force it, no difference... These elements are to be handled and processed with care, this is about fine modeling is scale we are talking about. Btw, this resin is not fragile as you mentioned. Supports are separated easily and elements are stable and long time lasting.

This is the third edition of this kit. Many things are added to meke it more easier to build. We had an attempt of an beginner who tried to build this model. It was the first edition. He has done many things in a definitely wrong order, he disfigured the model, and we have learned that we have to mind about people with less experience. Additions guide a modeler to the right order of doing things while build this model. This is an intermediate level kit.

Please, read more about the project here: HMS Ontario 1/48 scale 31.89''  81cm Model Ship Kits MarisStella

About the 3D printed transom mold:

Transom

The transom can be made in two ways: by use of laser-cut flexible panels that has to be bent and assembled, then planked. Or you can use the 3-D printed transom. (provided as an extra to the kit.) These 3-D parts are a photopolymer resin printed with SLA 3D technology (stereolithography). The only thing be aware of is that the 3-D printed transom must be trimmed to fit the sternpost. This must be done carefully, so as not to break the 3-D resin printed transom.

The procedure is as follows:

Separate the parts by removing them from the supports. By using a new technique developed by MarisStella, the 3-D printed parts can be planked with wood strips to make the transom look and feel like it is made of wood. To do this, follow the planking layout on the drawing. When the stern and quarter-badges have been planked, they can be treated with linseed oil, paint or varnish is if they were entirely made of wood.

Ontario’s lettered name plate is a photo-etched part supplied with the kit. You will have to make the window frames from strip pieces and carve tiny slots for them to fit flush with the planking. The window frames should be painted white. The windows frames can be laminated with any clear plastic or ‘glass -like’ material to complete them.

Here are the heavy solid walnut wooden bases:

1539457634_01_1__1001QUADRO_A-107_MarisStellaSolidWalnutWoodenBases_.jpg.8abb57e11a2ac52d1321192e58cdc3f0.jpg2066968560_02_1__1002OVALO_A-116_MarisStellaSolidWalnutWoodenBases_.jpg.f9e713d1973e88ac2b2b6505148fef53.jpg

2098882597_03_1__1003QUADROOVALO_A-127_MarisStellaSolidWalnutWoodenBases_.jpg.7e0c118a7a769b7eec17ad5678cf4ec5.jpg254253518_04_1__1004PARABOLO_A-137_MarisStellaSolidWalnutWoodBases_.jpg.03f8919655e0d83e587c0aae2997ef8c.jpg

171664818_05_1__1005QUADROPARABOLO_A-145_MarisStellaSolidWalnutWoodenBases_.jpg.3d55b01a05f54a0133a67fceacc8c870.jpg

Edited by MarisStella.hr

• 1 year later...