James H

1:48 HMS Ontario - out now!

Hi all,

MarisStella, in cooperation with The Art of Age of Sail, have just released their new kit, the 1:48 HMS Ontario. This is a multimedia kit, including many traditional elements, but also some 3D-printed , resin, and photo-etched parts. Finished model will be 81cm long. 

We promise to being you an in-box review of this as soon as we can. 

http://www.marisstella.hr/gotovi_modeli_galery.php?id=1111&tip=2&hms-ontario-81cm-1-48

image0000.jpg

image0001.jpg

image0003.jpg

image0005.jpg

image0006.jpg

image0008.jpg

image0009.jpg

image0011.jpg

image0012.jpg

image0013.jpg

image0014.jpg

image0016.jpg

image0017.jpg

image00031.jpg

image00081.jpg

Maybe it's due to 3D rendering and the paint job but with not much wood visible it looks a bit plastic, is this intentional?

3 minutes ago, Dilbert55 said:

Maybe it's due to 3D rendering, it looks a bit plastic.

They are renderings.

The kit is mainly wooden.

Renderings look very good. But as said, too early to judge before seing the built model or at least box content. Is it POB or some 3D printed hull etc?

Length 81cm is very nice, fits my display case, what would be the height of the model?

The expectations are high, but so is the price tag, so lets see what's in it.

Hello modelers....

Yes, you are right! Here is not said anything about materials used into the kit.... Materials are classics from MarisStella: we always take care of using first class wood, fittings and ropes...

The images are rendered cad drawings. This is because the main thought was to emphasize the severity of the creation of this project. The main stream is MarisStella projects' work and Reconstruction done by The Art of Age of Sail. We have many very accurate drawings that make all 4 sheets of draft together. These sheets are 900x100mm large. The quality of the project is put onto first place here taking on mind that the way of realization of MarisStella kits is not unknown ...  Laser cut panels, here are 15 of them, are very good, usually done. Large photo-etched sheet as well... The point is to create accurate reconstruction, elements and drawings that are promising a really good made model in the end.

Here I post photographs of the model. It is completely wooden... The kit includes 28 3D printed elements. They are, for example, anchors or guns designed especially for this model.  ... Here is a surprise about the transom: 3D printed elements become wooden in the end ... Height of the model is 61,1cm ...

1206904872_forMSW_22_ONTARIO__UP-RE_A4colorcoverDDD.jpg.b10a45d564fcc5aa82409ac29154d61f.jpg1616496353_forMSW__22_ONTARIO__UP-RE_A4colorcoverb.jpg.4d1cb0c100722dc2a37054d839e3915b.jpg

6 hours ago, MarisStella.hr said:

Materials are classics from MarisStella: we always take care of using first class wood, fittings and ropes...

It's a beautiful model, Zoran, and a nice additional to your wonderful line of ship models. Congratulations!

A brief history of the ship here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ontario_(1780)

At the bottom of this page is some video footage of the wreck:

http://www.shipwreckworld.com/articles/shipwreck-explorers-discover-1780-british-warship-in-lake-ontario

For more detail, check out this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Legend-Lake-22-Gun-Brig-Sloop-Ontario/dp/1550821865

Andy

Here they are: specially designed gun barrels, anchors, top of belfry, windlass , complete bow decoration, transom and side badges... Here is new technique applied, a MarisStella innovation: Transom and side badges are to be planked with thin wooden strips so they look wooden in the end ... When talking about innovations, MarisStella has 8 innovations connected to the techniques of constructing the models and all of them are very well accepted (received). They are applied at MarisStella Model Ship Kit product line ...

Hope this was helpful...

545244696_2427HMSOntario1-48MarisStellaModelShipKits.jpg.63ac41cfc2f73ca224a84ac66f4e31d3.jpg639405474_2428HMSOntario1-48MarisStellaModelShipKits.jpg.21f47aa52a23c3ccab2443d125f4e9a9.jpg362685422_2429HMSOntario1-48MarisStellaModelShipKits.jpg.df4e6064f010bccbefea60df2d15bab5.jpg

Thanks for the link, Elijah. Are you thinking doing this model?

Yeah, I don't know the timeline of the developement of the kit, I didn't initially notice the time gap you mentioned. Still, the video is made by the person who worked with Marisstella, so I would think the kit would be fairly similar. As to your question Bob, I've looked at it, but I think it's a little outside of my budget. 

36 minutes ago, Elijah said:

As to your question Bob, I've looked at it, but I think it's a little outside of my budget. 

So maybe something to look forward to in the future for you, Elijah! 

The video itself is nice and I found it longer time ago when trying to find any more info on the kit. But as said, am not sure whether the all wooden model presented in video is what is in the kit. The kit looks just great, still, for the given price, am still eagerly waiting to see the real box content photo, manual, description on wood used etc... Well, hobby is about patience :)

You can ask Marisstella.  The owner is on MSW and has a topic.  I see that he posted to this topic back on the 14th.