Medway Longboat 1742 by Diver - 1:24 Scale

Nice job on the fairing.  You will enjoy planking.  Bob has offered good advice.  Just remember to not over bevel the upper inner edge of the plank as this could cause gaps to open up when sanding the hull.  Plus, since you can see the planks from the inside, you want to keep the planks tight there also.  Go slowly, do multiple fits and your planking will turn out just fine.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

9 minutes ago, Ryland Craze said:

Just remember to not over bevel the upper inner edge of the plank as this could cause gaps to open up when sanding the hull.

That's a good point. I'm still not very proficient at beveling. It seems to be an inexact science to me. I'd love for someone to reply who is really good at beveling (or is it chamfering?) and is able to get their planks to consistently nice and tight.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Nice job on the fairing.  You will enjoy planking.  Bob has offered good advice.  Just remember to not over bevel the upper inner edge of the plank as this could cause gaps to open up when sanding the hull.  Plus, since you can see the planks from the inside, you want to keep the planks tight there also.  Go slowly, do multiple fits and your planking will turn out just fine.

Thanks for the advise.  I just started the tick marks, now this takes patience with my big fat mechanics fingers on those very thin frames.  I cut a spare #1 plank and heated and twisted it just to see how it would turn out.  It actually fit, Yahoo.  I am finding this build very relaxing and satisfying.

Happy Easter every one.  I did all my tick strips and transferred the marks to the frames.  I then applied tape to check the run and it looked like a drunk ant had set the marks.  I have erased all the marks and will start over.  I checked my strips to the printed fan and they are OK.  My question is, Do I make all the marks on the same side of the frame?  My first attempt I placed them where ever it was easiest to get the pencil.

3 minutes ago, Diver said:

My question is, Do I make all the marks on the same side of the frame?  My first attempt I placed them where ever it was easiest to get the pencil.

If I am understanding your question, then yes, your tic marks should all be on the outer edge of the faired frames.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

5 minutes ago, BobG said:

If I am understanding your question, then yes, your tic marks should all be on the outer edge of the faired frames.

Hello Bob.  I had them on the outside, but some were on the forward side of the frame, others on the aft side but all within the fairing.  Does this make sense?

As long as they are on the same side of each frame you will be ok.   Best to pick a side.

1 minute ago, Diver said:

Hello Bob.  I had them on the outside, but some were on the forward side of the frame, others on the aft side but all within the fairing.  Does this make sense?

I'm don't think it would make a significant difference but it would probably be best to simply be consistent with your tic marks. Mine were fairly consistently in the center of the frames since a portion of the frame was covered with my paper tic strip and I would mark just to the right edge of the strip. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

On 4/16/2020 at 6:03 PM, Diver said:

it looks like I might have over zealous in my fairing on frame 7.  What is the best fix?

I'm probably not the best person to be giving you advice on this problem but, since no one else has responded yet, I'll give it a go. I had a similar looking spot on my longboat in about the same location. I don't think I did anything with it at first since it was not very prominent. Eventually, after completing the planking and while doing a final sanding, I glued a tiny piece of wood in the gap by the keel with white glue and sanded it so that it was flush with the keel and the planks. I may have added a tiny amount of either Elmer's Wood Filler or white glue mixed with Alaskan Yellow Cedar sawdust too. I can't remember exactly. It was practically unnoticeable after that. I'm not sure it's the best way to manage the problem but I was ok with it after I was done. 

It would probably be wise to at least to shape and dry fit the next plank or two to see if the frame is consistently too low or just in that one spot. If it is consistently too low, you might want lift the planks and shim the frame since it's probably going to create problems later as you go along. These kind of small errors tend to creep and become more prominent as you continue planking. 

Thinking about it now in hindsight, it may have been better if I had used some CA debonder on the frame or frames so you could lift the planks just enough to be able to glue a small shim on the frame and raise it up a little in the low spot and perhaps further down the frame as well if necessary. I think that would help prevent the error from magnifying itself as you continue the planking.

I hope someone more experienced than me will and their advice since I am certainly no expert with these matters.

Good luck and hang in there. My model isn't perfect but I I'm very pleased with how it turned out. 

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

4 hours ago, BobG said:

I'm probably not the best person to be giving you advice on this problem but, since no one else has responded yet, I'll give it a go. I had a similar looking spot on my longboat in about the same location. I don't think I did anything with it at first since it was not very prominent. Eventually, after completing the planking and while doing a final sanding, I glued a tiny piece of wood in the gap by the keel with white glue and sanded it so that it was flush with the keel and the planks. I may have added a tiny amount of either Elmer's Wood Filler or white glue mixed with Alaskan Yellow Cedar sawdust too. I can't remember exactly. It was practically unnoticeable after that. I'm not sure it's the best way to manage the problem but I was ok with it after I was done. 

It would probably be wise to at least to shape and dry fit the next plank or two to see if the frame is consistently too low or just in that one spot. If it is consistently too low, you might want lift the planks and shim the frame since it's probably going to create problems later as you go along. These kind of small errors tend to creep and become more prominent as you continue planking. 

Thinking about it now in hindsight, it may have been better if I had used some CA debonder on the frame or frames so you could lift the planks just enough to be able to glue a small shim on the frame and raise it up a little in the low spot and perhaps further down the frame as well if necessary. I think that would help prevent the error from magnifying itself as you continue the planking.

I hope someone more experienced than me will and their advice since I am certainly no expert with these matters.

Good luck and hang in there. My model isn't perfect but I I'm very pleased with how it turned out. 

Thanks Bob.  I did just that.  I thought about trying to un-glue the planks but decided against it.  I did dry fit the #3 plank and all is well.  When all the planking is complete I will do a final fit and gluing of the filler piece.  Still enjoying the build and will never let a small problem like this discourage me.  I have read the oops feed and many builders have overcome much greater problems than mine.  Have a good day and stay safe.  Bob

On 4/18/2020 at 4:50 PM, Diver said:

Thanks Bob.  I did just that.  I thought about trying to un-glue the planks but decided against it.  I did dry fit the #3 plank and all is well.  When all the planking is complete I will do a final fit and gluing of the filler piece.  Still enjoying the build and will never let a small problem like this discourage me.  I have read the oops feed and many builders have overcome much greater problems than mine.  Have a good day and stay safe.  Bob

Well its been a very busy week.  I work in one of the largest Hardware/Building centers in the country.  We are open for curb side pick up only,so its answer the phone,build the order and get it to the customer.  A little progress on the build, I have the garboards fitted and glued.  It is starting to look like a boat.

DSCF9673.JPG

DSCF9667.JPG

I think so but its really not a big deal if it is what I think it is.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

6 hours ago, Diver said:

Anybody notice my mistake, and I thought I was doing so well.  I asked Chuck if it would effect the build.  No problem structurally but will bother me every time I look at it.

I didn't notice anything until you mentioned it. So I looked closer and it looks to me like the keel is not straight. I'm not sure anyone other than you will notice it once you complete the model. I doubt that anyone will hold up your model and sight down the keel.  I'm like you, though, I can see every little thing that I wish was just a little bit better even though my wife says "it's perfect!" I think most of us tend to be our own worst critics. If you keep going the way you have so far you will end up with a beautiful model.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

13 hours ago, BobG said:

I didn't notice anything until you mentioned it. So I looked closer and it looks to me like the keel is not straight. I'm not sure anyone other than you will notice it once you complete the model. I doubt that anyone will hold up your model and sight down the keel.  I'm like you, though, I can see every little thing that I wish was just a little bit better even though my wife says "it's perfect!" I think most of us tend to be our own worst critics. If you keep going the way you have so far you will end up with a beautiful model.

Hello Bob.  Actually the keel is straight.  That was a poor camera shot.  Keep looking.  LOL

14 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

The 3rd frame in looks like it was installed backwards.

Yup, you found it and it should be no problem at all.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say the build is on hold.  We finally have some decent weather and its time to service the gardens and do some minor repairs around the house.   Its been a long winter and we can not let the little things get ahead of us.  Stay safe everyone.   Bob

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:56 PM, Diver said:

Just a quick note to say the build is on hold.  We finally have some decent weather and its time to service the gardens and do some minor repairs around the house.   Its been a long winter and we can not let the little things get ahead of us.  Stay safe everyone.   Bob

I Finally got some shop time.  Owning an older home can take up a lot of time in the good weather.  I am almost half way with my planking, 4 out of 9, and hope to do some more this evening. When is it a good time to remove the reinforcing tape on the frames?  Should I do it now or wait until planking is complete.  This is a slow build for me but enjoy my shop time, as little as it is.  As you all can see I did cut one plank two short, so I did the same on the other side for balance.

DSCF9759.JPG

DSCF9758.JPG

1 hour ago, Diver said:

When is it a good time to remove the reinforcing tape on the frames?  Should I do it now or wait until planking is complete. 

You can take it off now. The tape is there to help strengthen the frames when you faired them. The little wood tabs strengthen the frames also and will be cut when you open up the interior of the boat after you complete the planking as well.

Nice to see you are back in the boatyard.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thanks Bob and Havelock.  When I look at my build I see every flaw and mistake and wish I had more experience in ship modeling.  I then remind myself that this is my first build.  I believe that any model I could have chosen would have ended up with the same mistakes and flaws.  It is a hobby with a learning curve, and I am learning . I do hope to someday be able to build a museum quality ship.  As far as my Longboat build I will achieve a mantel piece model short of a disaster, and worse come to worse there is nothing that wood filler and paint can not hide.  LOL 

1 hour ago, Diver said:

When I look at my build I see every flaw and mistake and wish I had more experience in ship modeling.  I then remind myself that this is my first build.  I believe that any model I could have chosen would have ended up with the same mistakes and flaws.  It is a hobby with a learning curve, and I am learning .

First of all, you are doing a great job considering this is your first build. This is not a beginner model; it's actually quite complex and you will undoubtedly learn a ton as you continue to build it. Most of us are our own worst critics and we see our mistakes much more clearly than anyone else. My wife has often told me, "Nobody would ever notice that but you." 

Keep plugging away on your model, look a few steps ahead so you can clearly see where you are going and how to get there and ask questions when you are confused or uncertain. It's only wood and the the majority of errors can be corrected or, at least, masked enough that only you will notice. In the end, when you have the all the rigging up and the grapnels and the oars are finished, there will be so many interesting things to look at that you won't even notice your errors so much yourself. My boat isn't perfect but, when I look at it now, I nearly have to pinch myself to remind me that I really did make that beautiful model!

You're well on your way. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

5 minutes ago, BobG said:

First of all, you are doing a great job considering this is your first build. This is not a beginner model; it's actually quite complex and you will undoubtedly learn a ton as you continue to build it. Most of us are our own worst critics and we see our mistakes much more clearly than anyone else. My wife has often told me, "Nobody would ever notice that but you." 

Keep plugging away on your model, look a few steps ahead so you can clearly see where you are going and how to get there and ask questions when you are confused or uncertain. It's only wood and the the majority of errors can be corrected or, at least, masked enough that only you will notice. In the end, when you have the all the rigging up and the grapnels and the oars are finished, there will be so many interesting things to look at that you won't even notice your errors so much yourself. My boat isn't perfect but, when I look at it now, I nearly have to pinch myself to remind me that I really did make that beautiful model!

You're well on your way. Good luck!

Thanks Bob.  I know that I am my own worst critic, but still enjoy being in the shop.  This is a hobby that I have wanted to get involved in since my first visit to the Maritime Museum in Victoria when I was a boy.  If I achieve similar results on my build as you did on yours I will be over the moon happy.  Your build of the PenDuick is a fine example of craftsmanship. Love the paint.  Bob

1 hour ago, Diver said:

Your build of the PenDuick is a fine example of craftsmanship. Love the paint.  Bob

Thanks, Bob. Speaking of mistakes, I ended up painting the Pen Duick hull 3 times until I got it right. I was learning to use an airbrush and, although the first paint job was great, I messed up the clear coat. So I ended up sanding and repainting more than I would have liked. I'm now slowed to a snail's pace as I try to make sense of the practically useless instructions and plans for the rigging...and so it goes in model ship building...

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: