Medway Longboat 1742 by Diver - 1:24 Scale

I have been working on the boat lately. Definition of insanity, doing the same task over and over, expecting a different result. Six attempts at the forward platform and finally changed my approach.  Am happy with the fit so far although I must get it to good a little lower. The rear platform is a little easier but still has to go a little lower.

8C00320F-B7FD-4454-A5EF-C9DB9D5F35F8.jpeg

1479C6FE-C500-46FA-BBA1-5EFCBF109669.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your longboat is really coming along nicely, Bob. Nice job!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 2/15/2023 at 7:33 AM, Freebird said:

Diver,

You can use isopropyl alcohol. Just dab alcohol around the joint and let it soak in for a few minutes. It’ll soften the glue. It may take several tries. 

Best Regards …. Rick

Thanks for the advise.  I purchased a small bottle of lock de-icer (isopropyl) and it worked fine.  I have removed the piece and have a new one installed.  The very small bottle of lock de-icer worked well due its very small nozzle. It was easy to control.  Thanks again 

The rear cockpit is complete and glued in place.  The thwarts are all glued in except the one fore the mast.  The grapples and sheave for the stem are complete.  I started on the knees and realized the front thwart was not installed correctly. It was removed and reinstalled. I am apprehensive on starting the capstain, do not want to mess it up. I ordered some v blocks to hold it when I start to shape it.

D5502182-4E19-450E-A6E7-3165F750CC5E.jpeg

6D24252B-B265-4BF0-9D9D-D5E06B136C4B.jpeg

4C1F2A8D-5A1A-43BB-90E1-4EC18445C6DB.jpeg

5 hours ago, Gus M said:

What is the scale on your boat? I found on Anazon one in s 1:48 scal, but I don't see any compilación in this scale

the scale of my Medway  is 1/48.  The kit was purchased from Syren Ship models, designed and manufactured by Chuck Pessaro.  A challenging but rewarding plank on frame build.

4 hours ago, Diver said:

Now I am confused.  In the header for the Medway group project it says 1/48.

The header does seem to have the wrong scale there, but if you look below at all the build log titles, nearly all of them include the scale in the title - either 1:24 or 1/2” (same thing). And Chuck (the kit designer and manufacturer) has given you the definitive answer as well.

5 hours ago, Chuck said:

Its 1:24 actually.   

Well, I confusión with this

Is 1/24 or 1/48 this one?

Model Expo - Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat 1/48 scale https://amzn.eu/d/iPH2Rk3

This other one is 1/24, but the price is 183.82 €

Model Shipways 18th Century Barco Largo Armado Escala 1:24 – Cortado con láser Madera, Metal y fotograbado latón Kit https://amzn.eu/d/aGGM6EU

Right now I'm confused and don't know which one to buy.

PS I also found the SYREN...a beauty

Edited by Gus M

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

This Medway longboat is 1:24

The Model Shipways version is 1:48….a tiny little thing.  

Two different models.  

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

This Medway longboat is 1:24

The Model Shipways version is 1:48….a tiny little thing.  

Two different models.  

Thank you @Chuck in this case,  i buy the 1:48 scale

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

• 1 month later...

We have finished our move to what we hope is our final home.  I have set up my work space in the spare bedroom an have got back into the build.  The capstan and mast thwarts are not glued in yet.  I am going to make the mast first, and can use the thwart as a reference for the diameter.

266A16FD-D33D-466A-B696-8E5FD7D532C2.jpeg

BC603926-10EA-4FBF-BA90-CA56BE1EEF5B.jpeg

B23BA9B3-9050-45A5-A9A9-6C80C778D524.jpeg

A7E1B8C1-0F8E-4CAC-9315-254AEC531C29.jpeg

Your Medway is coming along nicely, Bob, and your workspace looks good too. I have a very similar workspace in the spare bedroom with a small desk in front of a window that looks out onto the backyard. I envy those folks who have large work areas and room for all their tools and machines.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 3 months later...

Had an accident in the shop.  I recently got the rudder and tiller done, only to drop something and brake parts of it off. I have managed a fix, and only on close inspection can you see it. Have ordered a draw plate from Byrnes and will use it for the  thole  pins.  The mast thwart is still not glued in, I will finish shaping the mast first.  That will pretty much finish chapter four other than the oars

IMG_0655.jpeg

IMG_0654.jpeg

IMG_0653.jpeg

Edited by Diver
spelling mistake

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I purchased this build I have been apprehensive about doing the mast.  Over the last few evenings the square stock was shaped and sanded as per Chucks instructions and this is the final result. In my opinion it has turned out well.  Just have to do some touch-up sanding and painting.  The one thing I would do differently is I would not have done the metal work for the mast thwart until the mast was made to size.  It would have been easier to size the metal to the mast.

IMG_0675.jpeg

IMG_0674.jpeg

Edited by Diver
just an added line