1:64 Zulu fishing Boat - Vanguard Models

James H

1:64 Zulu Fishing Boat - KIT PREVIEW
Vanguard Models
**Coming soon**

box.jpg

Vanguard Models are currently around 2 months (give or take) from releasing two new kits which are suitable for both beginner and expert alike, but of course engineered to help those who want to try their hand at modelling a ship/boat in timber. Both models are in 1:64 and both are working vessels; fishing boats. These are the Zulu and Fifie class of vessel which tended to operate around the south-eastern coast of Scotland, mainly as herring fishers. If you know Chris's style of design, then you'll see it here in this preview kit I have for the Zulu. 

This is a preview only and isn't designed to be a review. It's simply to show you the basic box contents before Chris finishes the kit. Firstly, it isn't a finished-boxed product, being sent to me in a regular shipper box. It also has no instructions and no plans at this stage, and rigging blocks/cord/sails will be with me later. My own build which Chris wants to use for a box-art photo, will be made using his prototype photos that I'm currently editing for his instruction manual. Sails will be provided as an extra, should the modeller want them. Many don't use sails, so you'll not pay for something you won't use when you buy the initial kit. Despite the model also being pitched at newcomers and novices, no poor quality materials have been used. You get pear in this kit, with an option to buy with a maple deck instead of lime.

The Zulu contains:

• 2 x 3mm MDF sheets
  • 3 x 1mm pear sheets
  • 1 x 2mm pear sheet
  • 1 x 3mm pear sheet
  • 1 x 2mm acetate sheet
  • 1 x 0.8mm ply (single part)
  • 1 x 0.7mm maple or lime wood laser cut/engraved deck (lime is standard)
  • 1 x 0.4mm PE sheet
  • Timber strip
  • Metal tubing

Not seen in this photo are the rigging blocks and cord, and the optional sails.

MDF Sheets
One thing you'll note here is that Vanguard Models are now using laser engraving on their parts, so everything is pre-numbered and there are also bevelling lines so you can roughly shape bulkheads before assembly to the false keel. Final shaping can be done later. 

DSC01915.jpg

DSC01916.jpg

DSC01917.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01920.jpg

1mm pear sheets

These are very nice indeed. Timber quality is excellent, and I love the pink hues of this stuff. Note that the bulwarks (supplied in halves) have the positions engraved on them for the timberheads. The first two lower planks are also included to take the guesswork out of those shapes near the keel. A rabbet has also been cleverly engineered into the design, and you won't need to cut or chisel a single thing to create it! The rabbet will help those second planks sit snugly into position.

DSC01925.jpg

DSC01926.jpg

DSC01927.jpg

DSC01928.jpg

DSC01929.jpg

DSC01930.jpg

2mm pear sheet

DSC01921.jpg

DSC01922.jpg

3mm pear sheet

DSC01923.jpg

DSC01924.jpg

2mm acetate sheet

All models from this company have clear acetate stands supplied with them, and this includes these two fishing boats. These just push together with no need for adhesive, although you could, if you wanted to, drop a little PVA into the slot as it will dry clear. The acetate is covered in a blue plastic film which you first peel off, as seen here. A benefit of a clear stand is that it won't hinder the view of the completed hull!

DSC01942.jpg

0.8mm ply (single part) and 0.7mm maple deck

All kits, as standard, will be supplied with an engraved lime wood deck. The kit which I've been sent has the maple option. As you can see, it does look really neat, and the engraving is excellent, including proper trunnels instead of just dots. This deck will sit atop the ply one seen here, but only when the hull is built (and painted).

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

DSC01933.jpg

Strip wood and tube

Three bundles of materials are supplied with this kit, all of high quality. The alloy tubes are for the flues. Materials are 1x5mm limewood for first planking, 1x4mm pear for second planking, and walnut for the rest (dowels, half round strip and 1x1mm strip)

DSC01938.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

DSC01936.jpg

DSC01937.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

Photo Etch & errata

A reasonable size PE sheet is included, manufactured from 0.4mm brass. Brass nails are the excellent Amati ones with no malformed heads or points etc. Probably the best I've ever used.

DSC01940.jpg

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01939.jpg

DSC01944.jpg

As I say, this isn't a complete kit. It needs the rig, blocks, optional sails, instructions, plans and a box, but it should give you a good idea about how the finished product will look.

Here's a photo of the prototype, so far.

88331204_123013689270344_8367598493161750528_o.jpg

Are the sails going to be pre-sewn? Are you planning on using them in your build (or is Chris, I’m curious what they will look like)?

Being an amateur the differences of wood frequently escape me (aside from the “that looks nice” aspect). What visually would be different between the decks? Given the potential beginner market it may be a good idea to do side by side pictures so that a novice has a better idea of what the upgrade means to them (or maybe it’s simply me 🙂).

I’m looking forward to the two builds!

Edited by VTHokiEE

18 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Are the sails going to be pre-sewn? Are you planning on using them in your build (or is Chris, I’m curious what they will look like)?

Being an amateur the differences of wood frequently escape me (aside from the “that looks nice” aspect). What visually would be different between the decks? Given the potential beginner market it may be a good idea to do side by side pictures so that a novice has a better idea of what the upgrade means to them (or maybe it’s simply me 🙂).

I’m looking forward to the two builds!

Sails will be an option, but the first sample set just landed. Here you are....

89421765_331927141097831_3098684613321555968_n.jpg

For deck differences, the prototype Fifie has the maple veneer deck, and Chris's Zulu has the 1mm limewood deck, but hard to tell the slightly different colours and closer grain on the maple, compared to limewood

I like the slim lines of this vessel very much! Nice looking kit :)

You are almost wonder if a kit doesn't get to easy with all the little helpful extra's like the precut rabbet etc. :D

But I like the innovative way Chris Watton is designing his new kits.

2 minutes ago, mugje said:

I like the slim lines of this vessel very much! Nice looking kit :)

You are almost wonder if a kit doesn't get to easy with all the little helpful extra's like the precut rabbet etc. :D

But I like the innovative way Chris Watton is designing his new kits.

Technically, it's not pre-cut, but a simple and very effective method of construction that creates it.

Chris,

Once you have been successful with this kit at 1/64 scale, please produce it in 1/32nd scale. It should not be too difficult to go from the small model to the larger one.

By the way, excellent choice of materials and variety of woods. And a nice departure from period military ships, too.

Yves

2 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

And a nice departure from period military ships, too.

I agree. There are lots of period warships to choose from but these working boats are, I feel, an underrepresented segment of good, quality model ship kits. They are wonderful boats with important and interesting histories and they come in  all kinds of interesting and often unusual and colorful designs. I would love to see more of them from Chris in the future.

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

3 minutes ago, BobG said:

I agree. There are lots of period warships to choose from but these working boats are, I feel, an underrepresented segment of good, quality model ship kits. They are wonderful boats with important and interesting histories and they come in  all kinds of interesting and often unusual and colorful designs. I would love to see more of them from Chris in the future.

I absolutely agree. It's a lovely build too, with everything doing exactly as it should in terms of fit. 

Fishing boats are my guilty little passion. There's a romanticism about them and the hard lives of the crews who bring us our fish suppers. 

2 minutes ago, James H said:

Fishing boats are my guilty little passion. There's a romanticism about them and the hard lives of the crews who bring us our fish suppers. 

I'm right there with you, James.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, yvesvidal said:

Chris,

Once you have been successful with this kit at 1/64 scale, please produce it in 1/32nd scale. It should not be too difficult to go from the small model to the larger one.

By the way, excellent choice of materials and variety of woods. And a nice departure from period military ships, too.

Yves

Cheers, but I have already designed a similar vessel for Amati with the powered version of a Fifie, I am concentrating on 64th scale subjects only for the foreseeable future.

Just waiting for the plans, box label and colour instruction manual to be printed now! 

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook