BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, the worldwide spread of the Coronavirus has begun to affect nearly everyone in one way or another.  Since our membership at MSW is also worldwide, I thought that how it has affected our members would be a topic of interest.  As of yesterday, there were two cases already reported in our county of Dane in Wisconsin, so it’s literally right at my doorstep.

Locally the WIAA high school sport system still intends to hold the March Madness basketball tournament in Madison, but with the stands virtually empty. The University of Wisconsin system is beginning to suspend their classes for the foreseeable future, so who knows how that alone will be affecting the lives of all those students in the current graduation class and their families.

Then nationally, the NBA just announced that it’s even suspending the rest of this season. Even during WWII, I don’t think that happened. Exactly how long this will affect our lives is uncertain, but the virus may just have to run its course now that it’s so widespread already.  

22 minutes ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Even during WWII, I don’t think that happened.

I think a closer parallel might be during WWI when the world was figuring out how to handle the Spanish Flu. I’ve seen a few references (regarding the US) to a parade being held in Philadelphia for sending off troops compared to another city (maybe St. Louis?) which tried to detail the rationale behind social distancing. I didn’t have time to do a deep dive behind it though.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, BLACK VIKING said:

It's quite worrying but I'd like to know why are dipsticks buying up all the toilet rolls as it doesn't seem to cause diarrhoea. 😡 I can understand hand gel but loo rolls .

Martyn

Think about what you will need if you are quarantined for 2-3 weeks. Multiple the number of rolls you use per week times 3.  I do admit that buying 50 to 100 rolls is a bit like hoarding.   In our area we can get home bound for a week or so by a major snow storm so plan accordingly as you would for a major weather related storm. 

So far in my county only 2 confirmed cases of Covid 19. No major closures yet but some colleges have gone to online only classes, no in-person classes.  Oh ! They did cancel the St Patrick's Day parades and dinners, as well as some large public meetings as a precaution.

Edited by Jack12477

Posted (edited)

Some people are complete and utter selfish, inconsiderate morrons. The lawmakers in Germany and it's federal states start to take the entire crisis a bit more seriously (about time!) but there are still so many people who appear to have been hit with the idiot stick. Some "friends" of mine recently decided to go clubbing next week because "the virus isn't more than a flu" or "we are young enough not to be in danger" or my all time favourite "we won't change our entire lifes just because of a virus".

Edited by Redshirt

7 minutes ago, Redshirt said:

Some people are complete and utter selfish, inconsiderate morrons. The lawmakers in Germany and it's federal states start to take the entire crisis a bit more seriously (about time!) but there are still so many people who appear to have been hit with the idiot stick. Some "friends" of mine recently decided to go clubbing next week because "the virus isn't more than a flue" or "we are young enough not to be in danger" or my all time favourite "we won't change our entire lifes just because of a virus".

Totally agree , l look after my wife as she has some medical conditions and I can only go out to the shops once a week and every time I go out no loo rolls , well thanks for that  😡

Martyn

The university that my daughter attends is moving to online classes for the remainder of this semester.

All the toilet paper rolls are being sold on Ebay and Amazon ... at 3X the price.

Go figure.

Time will tell, but I seriously doubt this virus will remotely compare to the deaths caused by the Spanish flu. I just don't see where any of the current known facts support that proposition. 

I'm not making light of a serious situation, just trying to keep a reasonable perspective. My dad lived through the Spanish flu and here in our hometown, so many died they had to do mass burials to keep up with it. And that virus was no respecter of age, it took all age groups.

It's my plan to act rationally...frequent hand washing, keep my hands out of my face, avoid large crowds unless absolutely necessary. I'll order more household needs from Amazon if need be to avoid crowds at grocery stores. 

We have to get our shopping delivered from the major grocery stores  - we have been doing so for many years, we do this every two weeks as we have no way of going to the shops for shopping,   we have found these  delivery orders  fully booked up.

Not good  that we might run out of essentials  next week.

OC.

Yesterday BBC presented an interesting short video of a warehouse director of a company supplying 1/3 of the paper UK uses. On the background behind him were 80 million rols of loo paper ready to be shipped out.

2 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

I think a closer parallel might be during WWI when the world was figuring out how to handle the Spanish Flu. I’ve seen a few references (regarding the US) to a parade being held in Philadelphia for sending off troops compared to another city (maybe St. Louis?) which tried to detail the rationale behind social distancing. I didn’t have time to do a deep dive behind it though.

The draconian Sedition Act of 1918 was employed to suppress information that might have been considered 'unpatriotic'.

Posted (edited)

As a retired Associate Professor of Physiology & Surgery (PhD),  I think the current advice of handwashing and limiting exposure is about all that can be offered at this time.  I am particularly interested to learn if (and if so how long)  the virus may persist in the environment outside of the human body.  Are some surfaces or environmental conditions (temp & humidity) conducive to survival or elimination?  For instance, HIV can only live for a few seconds outside a human body.

As for the potential for morbidity and mortality, it is estimated that an infected person will infect 2-3 more persons.  A rough guess is that 100,000,000 citizens will be infected, and if 10% do become seriously ill, then 10,000,000 will need hospital care.  The mortality rate is currently estimated at 1-3% which is far higher than influenza at 0.1%  There is also the disturbance to society and the economy.  In the long run, I think this will drive substantial health care reform, but I can't say what that might look like.

I did take the time to look up some information in the medical literature about hospital ICU facilities.  In the USA, on any given day there are about 20,000 ICU beds available of the 70,000-90,000 total.  There are about 60,000-70,000 ventilators total, but I don't remember the number available on a daily basis.  But there is also the issue of having sufficient trained personnel to make medical decisions and operate the equipment.  What will happen if the caregivers become ill?

Edited by Bob Blarney

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CDW said:

Time will tell, but I seriously doubt this virus will remotely compare to the deaths caused by the Spanish flu. I just don't see where any of the current known facts support that proposition. 

I'm not making light of a serious situation, just trying to keep a reasonable perspective. My dad lived through the Spanish flu and here in our hometown, so many died they had to do mass burials to keep up with it. And that virus was no respecter of age, it took all age groups.

It's my plan to act rationally...frequent hand washing, keep my hands out of my face, avoid large crowds unless absolutely necessary. I'll order more household needs from Amazon if need be to avoid crowds at grocery stores. 

I do not hold that view.yet.  There is a major difference in public awareness and public hygiene, but there are no, or very few, treatments for viral diseases other than supportive care, and in this case respiratory care.  There may simply be insufficient medical resources to handle the patient load, if large numbers of people become ill quickly.  The current public health strategy of limiting the spread is intended to slow the rate of transmission to prevent that, but the number of seriously ill and mortally infected patients could go very high indeed.

Edited by Bob Blarney

Here in Catalonia I arrived a few days ago. Although there are only slightly more than 300 serious cases (out of a population of 7 million), today the decision has been made to suspend any school or university activity in order to control the expansion, although more than 80% of the population will experience COVID-19 like another flu, the risk is in the ancients and people with serious illnesses. Most public events where more than 1000 people can gather have been suspended, although I think that as long as 1000 to 100 meet, the contagion is the same. Teleworking has been advised whenever possible and staggered entry to companies to avoid crowds on public transport. The toilet paper is a mystery to most of the people who have not panicked.

Fernando

Worse case scenario as told today by goverment is 80% of population getting sick. Plan us to spread the cases over as mach time as possible so the system can cope.

I read the virus can survive a couple of days on stainless steel surfaces but only 4 hours on copper ones. About 5000 itu beds for uk with population 67 mil. Italy have 15000 confirmed cases, 1000 dead and overflowing hospitals, respirators are being sent over from China. Italian doctors sent warning to rest of European countries to urgently increase itu capacity.

This is an ugly virus!

After poking around a bit more in the medical literature, it appears that some treatments show real promise in preventing severe immune responses to viral infections that lead to multi-organ failure.  But there is no information yet as to whether these agents would be effective against C-19.  We can only wait, be careful to heed the available advice, and hope.

My employer closed yesterday for the foreseeable future.  Schools closed until Apr 24th.   Interesting times for sure.   

- J

Ohio just closed all schools for 3 weeks.  Madhouse at the stores.  Maybe all the crazies buying up all the toilet paper will finally convince the US to see the light and embrace the bidet...

No cases where I am though I've heard there's some up north near Portland and then there's San Francisco way south of us.    Read a new item this morning that because of it's short "life span", they don't expect it to last.  Not sure how true it is but it is interesting that China says they're almost back to "normal".  We'll have to wait and see what happens everywhere else in the world to be sure.

I guess I could say I am at the epicenter of the United States outbrake. The first case in the US was here in Everett at the hospital a few blocks from my house. Our state has the highest death count. mostly from one location about 25 miles from my house. The location was a health care facility caring for people who could no longer be cared for at home. 27 of the 31 deaths in the state came from there.

Tomorrow they will close all of the schools in three counties for the next six weeks. All gatherings of more than 250 people have been made illegal and even gatherings smaller than that are advised against and in most cases canceled. As elsewhere in the world some store items are getting scarce but the stores are still open and doing a thriving business. Other places like restaurants, not so well. The morning commute is getting better than it has been in years for those who need to commute between cities. The floors of the international airport main terminal are almost empty.

And last of all, the portion of my portfolio that is exposed to stocks is hemorrhaging!

In most ways we are OK and should feel little effect unless one of us gets sick other than the kids will be home and as they both are voracious eaters, it could put a strain on food. My wife is also concerned about her supply of wine and I may have to stock up on that precious commodity before the common hoarders out there realize it's value. I have a long term food supply that could take over or supplement our needs for about a month but after that the neighbor could start looking rather tasty.:D 

Here in Estonia they declared crisis situation out legally.

All schools, cinemas, etc will be closed starting from Monday for at least 2 weeks.

All concerts, theatre acts are cancelled.

We have 41 cases so far but its building up near us (Sweden, Finland etc).

I understand why they are doing it - to prevent it from spreading but still not sure if reaction is correct.

Stores are still full of food etc - some selfs of toilet paper and pasta were empty but they will be filled the next day usually.

The problem i see is that cause the symptoms are basicly as flu and its about +3-4 degrees Celsius here then its impossible to say if its flu or corona.

Biggest problem is what parents will do with children that cant attend school. My daugther is allready with me at work (luckily i have opertounity to give her working place where she can study).

Posted (edited)

A sense of perspective and maintenance of humour is essential.

UK Virus ALERT
Public Information Report

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.” 

The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. 

The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the Bastard.” They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

Meanwhile Keep Calm and Carry On Ship Modelling 

Gary

Edited by Morgan

Posted (edited)

We are asked to work from home, i.e. if your work permits(!) Most cases are in the south but unfortunately it is spreading all over the country. A direct link to that has not yet been found, but assuredly will.

Stocking up on certain essentials is expected, so far no shortages have been noticed. We have been informed to wash our hands regularly (20s) with water and soap - how else? - and use paper towels instead of the regular cotton ones. Some schools have been closed but not ordered by the government. The Dutch gov'ment has not yet taken a stand on that specific item, but will have to sooner or later, as they did on working from home. It has been rather quiet today, traffic-wise that is

The main problem I forsee is the fact that one cannot build any resistence against this virus at all - at least that is what is said - so if you've had it and are re-cross contaminated , you shall and will get it again. Hence I wonder if finding a vaccin is possible at all.

Anyone fancies a crispy 🦇?

Edited by cog

I heard that the most significant effect on society by the COVID-19 is overloading medical infrastructure. The virus is not the worst one, but it makes hospitals closed, patients have other symptoms can't get a proper medical care, and finally increases death rate indirectly. It literaly hit a niche weak point of our civilization. It is the reason why we should wash hand and wear a mask until we make a final weapon - vaccine.

I also heard that western people are shy at wearing mask because it means sick person doesn't stay at home. In South Korea, every people on streets wear any kind of masks. It is very common here because of dust wind from China every year. 😕 If China didn't start rapid economic growth yet, Korean might not be familiar with wearing mask yet, and the virus would have spreaded faster than now. Do you think the current pandemic will change your country's culture?

I use a clear plastic bucket over my head when I visit forums with more than 1000 members. I also wear surgical gloves while typing this. It's not easy because I am sitting 1.50 meters away from my laptop and I use dowels to hit the keys. Please excuse any typos. I did not buy more toilet paper than usual because I don't really give a sh*t. I really like the Belgian shop where they have a special offer with their beer: buy two Corona's and get a free Mort Subite. Must be the Dutch influence: we make jokes about everything, it's a way of coping.

Please don't shut down the forum!

Cheers

Pieter

40 minutes ago, peveka said:

Please don't shut down the forum!

We have been assured by our hosting service that their servers are rinsed daily in industrial-strength Lysol and then autoclaved.

I just returned from my local Beer Store with 100 cases of Corona. :D;)  They said it was all past-ur-eyes!  

Seriously tho, our local school districts are contemplating remote teaching but one of the impediments is the question does every family have the compatible computer hardware, software, wifi capacity to match the software the school district will be using. 

NYC just cancelled  their 250 plus year old St Patrick's Day parade and all Broadway plays are cancelled and the lights went out on the Great White Way.