BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

3 hours ago, cog said:

And you British are so famed for queueing, Paul!!! It seems when times of adversity turn up, the queue is forgotten. Maybe you should ask the supermarkeet to get shopping time based on age groups. That would make life a little easier ... suggesting is free ...

Another option: Do you know a younger person living nearby whom can get you what you need? Cavershamis a little bit out of my regular route, else I would not have mind a bit to do your shopping for you

Beaches are banned for public, so are public parks. It seems most people can hold themselves to the requested social distancing, until something triggers them not to - like inb Paul's case the opening of the supermarket doors - or when you are below a certain age. I wonder how long it will take before we will go in total lock down

Keep you distance, it's just like driving your car ...

In what little time I was in I did suggest that. Was told they may go down that road in the near future. No young friends I'm afraid. Luckily I do all my main shopping online so have enough of the essentials for the next month or so.

Very kind offer to shop for me, it is a little out of your way I suppose. But if I give you my list could you not send it over water by remote controlled boat then a drone to my address. 😀😀😀😀

Paul

You should see the French and the Italians - they are very competitively spirited ;)  The Spaniards to the contrary are very disciplined in this respect. They also have a very efficient system: when you arrive somewhere to be served in order of arrival, you ask who was the last one to arrive before you and you pay attention to that person; when he/she is served, you are the next.

11 minutes ago, wefalck said:

when you arrive somewhere to be served in order of arrival, you ask who was the last one to arrive before you and you pay attention to that person; when he/she is served, you are the next.

That is how it works here ! It is just "common courtesy"

2 hours ago, Shotlocker said:

That is truly disturbing. Haven't seen that sort of behavior here in western Pennsylvania...yet,

Disturbing yes, new no.  Back in the early 70's, when the Milwaukee Bucks were a real contender in the NBA, they scheduled an early playoff game at the UW Fieldhouse building in Madison.  My wife and I got in one of several lines for buying tickets at the door for the game that evening.  We were there about two hours before the gates were to open behind one of those lines of close to 100 people.  Everything was fine until they opened the gates about an hour before the game started.  The people in line were quite orderly at first, until a crowd of late arrivals suddenly developed behind us.  These people seemed to suddenly realize that they were unlikely to get a ticket since they were so late to get in line.  Then the fun began, as these people started to push and shove their way into the lines and ahead of the people that had been in line for hours already.  At that point we decided to get out of line before we got crushed in the ensuing free for all.

So  PM  announced on UK Tv  tonight  basic  lock down  will start Now   with lots of  restrictions and no go's   seriously worried about getting our gas and electric top ups as we are on pre payment meters  that need  topping up from the shops.

So I have to go out tomorrow taking a risk picking anything up passing it on to the admiral   - I will again make sure I am  covered up as much as poss.

Just wish I could get enough  credit on the card/key  so I wont have to go out for months.

Thats it rant over.

OC.

7 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

The people in line were quite orderly at first, until a crowd of late arrivals suddenly developed behind us.  These people seemed to suddenly realize that they were unlikely to get a ticket since they were so late to get in line.  Then the fun began, as these people started to push and shove their way into the lines and ahead of the people that had been in line for hours already. 

In Oz it's called queue-jumping and has usually been frowned upon. Most people still queue politely wherever they shop (even during the current crisis), but to my shame when I was in Istanbul in 1993 I witnessed a group of Australians jump the queue to get into the Sultan's palace. :blush:

Steven

Due to the lack of regular sporting events on TV currently, ESPN will broadcast "Toilet paper brawling in Walmart" events, followed by international queue breaking races.:P 

I'm not sure if queuing is normal or not anymore.  Back in high school I worked in a department store and twice a year the store had a huge sale.  When to doors opened, heaven help you if you were in the way.  And most of the crowd charging in looked like little old church ladies.

BTW, I just noticed that face masks I wear in the workshop are N95 rated.  So if you need them, check out a hardware store or two as that's where I bought mine. 

I do have a couple left over that I'll sell for say... $5000 each? My retirement fund is going to hell with the stock market so sorry, no fire sale price here. :rolleyes::P (This is a joke.. trying to keep my sense of humor and reality here.)

UK now in (almost) total lockdown.

Why almost? Well, we still have commercial flights coming and going and our Foreign Office as asked UK citizens abroad to come home as soon as they can. They should STOP these flights now. These folk have had long enough to return. Have then been living under a collective stone? With no one allowed to go out except for one period of exercise per day, and no groups of 2 or more folk etc. it seems CRAZY to have flights still going.

But we still haven't gone far enough. Schools are closed and idiot kids are hanging around in gangs etc. in the town I live in. There should be a 24hr curfew for anyone under 18yrs old (except for exercise) and also a general population curfew between 9pm and 6am for everyone else except critical services. If we are going to do this....do it properly.

Back between the 1300 and 1600s, there was a plague fashion for medical staff who believed illness could be transmitted on an ill air, known as miasma. Given how COVID-19 is transmitted in air droplets where the eyes are also vulnerable, perhaps it's time to being this back 🤪

These masks were thought to make the doctors look like ducks. From that, at least in Britain, doctors got the nickname of 'Quack', hence us saying that we are 'off to see the quack' when we have an ailment.

Plague-Doctors-Terrifying-Costume.jpg

Paul_Fürst,_Der_Doctor_Schnabel_von_Rom_(coloured_version).png

Now there is something I never knew before!

These days those masks could almost be fashionable in some circles, and look like they could also be quite functional.

Thanks for making this a learning day James.

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I'm not sure if queuing is normal or not anymore. 

Fortunately most people in my part of the world are still behaving in a civilised manner. Unfortunately, some people in the UK were unable to follow simple advice on social distancing and avoiding non-essential travel so now all of us are in lockdown. This image sums it up:

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.46202c6645570cdd2100af8ef276bd39.JPG

Derek

These beaked masks for doctors also had a practical function, as the beak was stuffed with fragrant herbs to make breathing the air in the streets and homes of the sick, dying and dead more bearable.

The English 'quack' actually comes from the Dutch 'quacksalver' or German 'Quacksalber', which means a doctor of dubious qualifications who praises his ointments (salve/Salbe) of dubious value like a quacking duck.

14 minutes ago, wefalck said:

doctor of dubious qualifications

After reading James' post I looked up plague Doctors, and that was pretty much the description given. It appeared that in almost all cases they were "doctors" that specialized in plague victims and many times had no medical training at all. It also said that one of the more famous plague doctors was Nostradamus.

As the modes of transmission was not understood, after a short time into a bubonic plague outbreak, the real doctors would have been the first victims and the whole group of 'GPs' would be wiped out quickly. Then you had to find volunteers to provide the most basic help, regardless of their 'qualification'.

10 hours ago, James H said:

UK now in (almost) total lockdown.

Why almost? Well, we still have commercial flights coming and going and our Foreign Office as asked UK citizens abroad to come home as soon as they can. They should STOP these flights now. These folk have had long enough to return. Have then been living under a collective stone? With no one allowed to go out except for one period of exercise per day, and no groups of 2 or more folk etc. it seems CRAZY to have flights still going.

But we still haven't gone far enough. Schools are closed and idiot kids are hanging around in gangs etc. in the town I live in. There should be a 24hr curfew for anyone under 18yrs old (except for exercise) and also a general population curfew between 9pm and 6am for everyone else except critical services. If we are going to do this....do it properly.

I work on a building site and their not going to close til they have to, I wish they would,  I'll miss the income but I value my health more so I've stopped going in!

I think Home Secretary is working on a solution for the self employed. 

Just spoke with a friend of mine in London, 47 y old, recovering from viral infection. Absolutely no doubt this was coronovirus. He is very fit and healthy.

Started off with mild symptoms, got worse within a few days, chest pain, throat pain, intense dry cough, sleeping most of the day, fever. Now after two weeks is better, but still has a lot of cough. Mid way he called an ambulance as he could not breath, took 3 hours to come. By that time he was better. Crew told him that people do not get tested. Was not seen by any other health care professional.

Many of his friends in London have/had pretty much similar symptoms, none was tested. I now see why mortality in the elderly is so high, this is a nasty bug.

I almost envy him, he is now home free in regards to this.

We have reached a totally new level of weird here in Sydney.

The news broadcast last night reported that police are currently hunting two knife wielding thieves who stole 400 rolls of toilet paper from a supermarket loading dock!!! :stunned:

John

6 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

We have reached a totally new level of weird here in Sydney.

The news broadcast last night reported that police are currently hunting two knife wielding thieves who stole 400 rolls of toilet paper from a supermarket loading dock!!! :stunned:

John

Ah, Oz has become like the US then.  You have my apologies.

I live in a college town with lots of Asian students. Super market shelves stocking rice were empty before the toilet paper ran out.

Other than that I didn't see much else out of stock at the store. And toilet paper was back in stock yesterday (but there was still no rice). Luckily the Asian food stores still have some.

I have a PhD in Microbiology, and I have studied virology, immunology, pathogenic microbiology and I used to run a medical microbiology laboratory. I wouldn't call myself a virologist, but I do understand what is happening.

I recommend ignoring just about everything except the Center for Communicable Disease (CDC) web site. They know as much about this as anyone.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

About 1.2% of reported COVID cases in the US have resulted in fatalities (44,183 reported cases, 544 deaths as of 23 March 4PM EDT). That is much higher than normal influenza (about 0.1% fatalities). So this is something to take seriously. However, only about 15% of people who are infected are expected to have symptoms serious enough to cause problems - like going to a clinic or hospital - and therefore being reported. So the fatalities are in the 15% who have serious symptoms. That should come out to actual fatality rates for everyone who is infected to about 0.2% - 2 per 1000.

Two things make this illness more serious. First, noticeable symptoms do not occur for a week or two after infection, so people go around spreading the virus for quite a while before they know they are infected. Second, the virus remains viable (capable of infecting) outside the body for a day or two on steel and plastic surfaces (hand rails, door knobs and latches, grocery cart handles, etc.).

So it is a good idea to wash your hands frequently to prevent spreading the virus in case you are infected, and it is a good idea to wash your hands frequently in case you have picked up the virus from something you have touched. The virus cannot infect your outer skin (the epidermis) because it is made up of dead cells. But it can infect any moist tissues (lips, nasal passages, eyes, ureter and anus) you touch with your hands.

Finally, the shutdown restrictions will not cause the virus to go away, or prevent the spread of the disease. They may not even reduce the total number of cases in the long run. But they may prevent a sudden influx of serious cases that would overwhelm medical facilities, denying treatment to those who need it. That should reduce the overall mortality rate. That may allow the medical people to keep up with the case load and allow the supply system to keep up with demand for medical supplies.

Big worry just now.  Internet went down for two hours.  Land phone worked OK, but the ISP's two helpline numbers both had recorded messages saying "this line is not working".

OK, just a hitch, and it's back now.  But worrying.  If internet connection's going to get flaky in the coming months, it'll make life much more difficult than it already is.