BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

From me, this post is going to be pretty serious.   With the passing of the government payout, the scammers are starting to work overtime.  They say their from the IRS and "need some information"... like your SSN, home address, etc.   For heaven's sakes...HANG UP!!!!!  People are already giving them personal info.  I did my patriotic duty when I received two calls today and strung them out for around 30 minutes each before telling them what part of my anatomy they could kiss and wondering what their mothers would think of them now.   I think I upset them a bit.

While I'm on the topic of scams and stuff... I heard from a friend that there's a lot of "I'm bored, so let's tell each other about ourselves...".  Don't do that one either.  With the type of questions they are asking in the "game".. a scammer could pick up enough info to steal your identity.  (By the way, the friend called because her "questionaire" as questions about "close friends".....  

Be careful out there.  Facebook and other social networks are full of scum looking for your info.  Same for callers.

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I did my patriotic duty when I received two calls today and strung them out for around 30 minutes each

I ve done this in the past Mark and it can be excellent entertainment, especially in these times of self isolation!

I used to string along scams and sales calls but we bought a phone set that identifies the caller (not caller id) based on numbers we have entered into the phone.  If that phone tells us who is calling we answer.  If caller id tells us we do not.  They have the option of leaving a message.  The caller id can be faked somehow.  We often get calls from our own number.  I wonder why we have a land line after all.

11 hours ago, mtaylor said:

did my patriotic duty when I received two calls today and strung them out for around 30 minutes each before telling them what part of my anatomy they could kiss

Me too. Especially the Microsoft repair guys, man do I ever string them along. :D 

55 minutes ago, JohnLea said:

We often get calls from our own number

Got a call one night from a very indignant guy who demanded to know why I had called him, kept insisting my number came up on his phone.  Had to tell him my phone has outgoing caller id blocked since the inception of the damn feature. I have to do *82 before each call when I want to send my caller id to friends and family, otherwise it shows as either "PRIVATE CALLER" or "ANONYMOUS".  He finally shut up and hung up after I explained that to him. 

1 hour ago, JohnLea said:

I wonder why we have a land line after all.

The main reason we still have a land line is for the fire and security system to call 911 - looking into a cell phone option

51 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Especially the Microsoft repair guys, man do I ever string them along.

We have a small boat air horn - compressed air canister - by the kitchen phone - when we get one of those we ask them to hold so we can go to the other phone and then hold the horn to the phone and give it a good blast.  Those callers have headsets that take a bit of time to get off their ear. 

These sales calls can be a real nuisance, particularly when they call again, when you have not answered the phone in the first place. However, the guys at the other end are just doing a job and may need this job. Still, I wouldn't do such a job that bothers other people.

We tend to tell them that we are unemployed and have not money to spend. That stops the callers in their tracks.

As soon as they identify themselves as Microsoft or a broadband provider etc I interrupt and ask 'Would you steal from your grandparents the way you are trying to steal from me?'. Usually they either hang up or keep pitching, saying 'no, no I am really from Microsoft, trying to help' and other BS. However one time I scored a bullseye when 'Linda from TalkTalk' cracked. Her voice broke and she hung up. I would like to think there was one less scammer working in that call centre after that.

It's truly sad how quickly the scum start seeking opportunity in times like this. As 40-somethings with elderly parents, it's been really stressful trying to keep them from falling for such things (they already did once and luckily we averted any damage). Thanks, Mark, for the warning on this style, it hadn't occured to me that scammers would try that, so I'm going to pass it along. My mother-in-law is the kindly sort who can't say no to anyone and is ripe to be sweet-talked by a phone salesman.

My father's side of the my family is from Spain and my last name is Garcia so, living here in California, I have gotten scammer calls from people saying that they are going to report me to immigration officials unless I send them a certain amount of money. Of course, they are trolling for possible illegal aliens and, if they happen to find one, they hope the call will scare the person into sending money to the scammer. I've also gotten calls saying that I owe the IRS some money and if I don't pay it right now they will come and take me to jail within a few days. There's no bottom to how low some people will sink to take advantage of poor people and those who are most vulnerable.

30 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

We have a small boat air horn - compressed air canister

Have one too, Kurt. Did that to one of them one night. He called me, I told him he was a scammer and hung up. 30 seconds later he calls back cursing me out, so I gave him a blast.

I believe the sales calls have dropped off over the past few years but the scam calls have increased.  There is one that asks (not understanding that their recording is talking to our answering machine) "Can you hear me alright?"  I read somewhere that they are recording your answer to play back while scamming the voice recognition gizmos at banks and other financial institutions.  I don't  know if that is true.

The other type of annoying calls are the political calls and pretend surveys.  I moved to the USA 35 years ago and thought for a while that the US was the only country that punished you for voting since that is where they get your number and party (from primary ballot).  I now think these types of calls infest most countries.

Some are just trying to get you to say "YES" so they can say you agreed to having your electric, gas or something switched over - usually with obscenely inflated prices.  We make it a practice to never say the magic word until we know exactly who we are talking to.

We have recently told our friends who don't use my cell phone that if they don't stick around for the answering machine to kick in so we can hear who it is they had better email us because we are not picking the phone up unless standing next to it - and that doesn't even work for 5 to 6 PM the prime time for the low life's to bother us - in defiance of the federal Do Not Call list - which of course exempted the politicians who enacted the law.

My latest beef is the local, state and federal politicians robo calling at dinner time inviting me to participate in their "town meeting of the air"..   What part of DO NOT CALL don't they understand? 

41 minutes ago, JohnLea said:

Can you hear me alright?" 

I always answer "can you speak a little louder youngun I cannot hear you" 

We watched the daily  Corona  update on the tv this afternoon  -  heard the  Assistant  medical officer say the lock down could stay for up to  (Six Months)  in the UK  - yep  Six months.

The Admiral and myself looked at each other  with open mouths,   our main concern is  getting food delivered  and keeping our  pre-pay  meters topped up  as we do not have Six months worth of top up in them.

We have to have our groceries delivered as we can not do heavy shopping on foot - my health  and more so the admirals  means we Have  to have things delivered.

We have been very lucky up til now  getting a delivery slot, but when we check they look to be booked up into May,    no other options  - no services saying they can help  - can people like us really be made to face possible  hunger  and making  our health's  far worse  due to not being able to get food delivered.

If I could get out to a local store for small  items  to last just a few days  - how can I do that knowing if I pick anything nasty up  - the admiral will get it and not cope with it  (its damn hard to keep separate from the admiral when you share a small house  - try it).

I am completely hacked off  with all this to be honest  sometimes it seems the lowest end who live day to day are made to suffer more when a situation like this comes around.

My late farther used to say to me  - "Plan for the Future sun".

OC.

Chin up OC.  Wife and I are in the same boat - watching for the supermarket delivery slots to come up on the internet, and seeing them being hoovered up in seconds by the young vultures who stand a better chance of surviving this virus than we do.

One thing that especially horrifies me is the talk I’ve been increasingly hearing of how the elderly ought to be ‘allowed to die to save the younger generation’.  In the UK, at least, it’s the elderly who have been payrolling the NHS these past 50 years and ensuring it’s still there to care for the younger generation.

Bring back rationing.  It worked 1939-45, and was fair.

7 minutes ago, probablynot said:

Chin up OC.  Wife and I are in the same boat - watching for the supermarket delivery slots to come up on the internet, and seeing them being hoovered up in seconds by the young vultures who stand a better chance of surviving this virus than we do.

One thing that especially horrifies me is the talk I’ve been increasingly hearing of how the elderly ought to be ‘allowed to die to save the younger generation’.  In the UK, at least, it’s the elderly who have been payrolling the NHS these past 50 years and ensuring it’s still there to care for the younger generation.

Thank you Bri,    if I was on my own It would be different  as I would only have myself to worry about  - so would eat less  probably have a drink and sleep my way through it  - but different when you have a responsibility and  duty of care for a loved one who is delicate and vulnerable,  Yep  lots  of  bad opinions floating about  regarding  a weight on society  as if  some dont deserve the same as others  - Very Very wrong.

OC.

OC  whereabouts are you located in uk? I think citizens advice could possibly help with finding local volunteers who will help out with shopping supplies. Most areas have them now, as people are pulling together to help those who find I difficult to get to the shops due to health or transport issues. 

In the meantime stay safe mate.

42 minutes ago, probablynot said:

That's what my mum said to me on the phone on Friday,  she and my dad are in their 80's but there is my brothers and me to help them out. My youngest daughter is helping out with local volunteer group and my eldest works for NHS.

10 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

That's what my mum said to me on the phone on Friday,  she and my dad are in their 80's but there is my brothers and me to help them out. My youngest daughter is helping out with local volunteer group and my eldest works for NHS.

Full respect to your family Edward   take care all of you.

OC.

18 minutes ago, probablynot said:

Apparently the governor of  Connecticut has included gun shops in his list of essential businesses.   How do you shoot a virus?

I guess they need guns to protect their stash of TP.