BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

14 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

My youngest daughter is helping out with local volunteer group and my eldest works for NHS.

Two daughters in NHS.  One’s a physiotherapist, the other’s a sister who retired and has now gone back to help.  Wife’s daughter is a care home nurse.  Well, we all try to bring up our kids to be useful in society, don’t we.

5 minutes ago, probablynot said:

Two daughters in NHS.  One’s a physiotherapist, the other’s a sister who retired and has now gone back to help.  Wife’s daughter is a care home nurse.  Well, we all try to bring up our kids to be useful in society, don’t we.

Respect and care to you and yours also Bri.

OC.

13 hours ago, JohnLea said:

We often get calls from our own number.  I wonder why we have a land line after all.

It doesn't matter if you have a landline or cell.  They have a small piece of equipment that can spoof any number from yours to government leaders if they want.

I just have my cell phone that company let me keep when I retired with the same number.  The number for my phone is northern Oregon so usually it seems like most spammers of late just use the area code and some random number.

As for the DO NOT CALL list, there's no penalty for ignoring it if the call is from outside the US.

BTW, I and others have noticed the spam mails have suddenly increased.   Beware at that can be another vector to stealing your information.

Found this in the XXXI st volume of the Naval Chronicles, 1814

---

RECIPE AGAINST INFECTION.
Forty-six grains of black oxide of manganese, in coarse powder, are to be put in a small strong glass phial, with an accurately ground-glass stopper, to which two drachm measures of nitric acid of 1,4.00 specific gravity, and an equal measure of muriatic acid of 1,134 must be added ; replace the stopper, and secure the whole by inclosing it in a strong wooden case, with a good screw-top, which, when fast, shall rest on the stopper so as to keep it in its place.

To use it, merely open the phial, with the nose averted, and replace the stopper as soon as the smell is perceived;
repeat it, of course, occasionally, as you would any other fumigation, A phial so prepared, will last, instead of six months, several years;
the mixture ought not to occupy more than one-third of the bottle.

Any chemist can furnish the ingredients.

This apparatus destroys all kinds of infection.

----

Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid and exposure to Manganese metal is a factor in Parkinsons Disease as a neurotoxin according to an 1837 medical treatise

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

It doesn't matter if you have a landline or cell.  They have a small piece of equipment that can spoof any number from yours to government leaders if they want.

BTW, I and others have noticed the spam mails have suddenly increased.   Beware at that can be another vector to stealing your information.

I just discovered a feature on my cell phone.  I can now set it not to ring if the caller's number is not in my contact list.  The feature might have been there for years but I just discovered it.

recently, I started getting spam from a friend which I thought odd.  Then I noticed that although it said it was from him, the email address was some where in eastern Europe.  I figure someone hacked his email account for names and addresses.  Since I don't trust my alertness, I blocked him after giving him a heads up.  

Have to confess I’m curious.  What’s happening to those poor individuals (I’m watching my language here) in the States who can’t afford health insurance.  Are they getting any Covid-19 care?  Are deaths in that category even getting counted in the statistics?

When you live in a country where health care isn’t something you have to be able to afford, it’s not easy to understand how things are in countries with other values.

Emergency rooms in the USA do not turn away individuals with life threatening illness because of lack of insurance. They will work to stabilize the patient's condition regardless of ability to pay.

The EMTALA law covers all that.  The Emergency Medical and Treatment of Labor Act passed in 1986 basically require all hospitals emergency departments to evaluate and stabilize anyone who comes in regardless of their ability to pay.  Means anyone can come to any emergency department for any reason and be seen and evaluated.  Before this all started up there was a significant portion of the population who exclusively used the ED for all of their care.  Estimates around 15-20% all ED care is completely uncompensated i.e. free.  Problem is there has never been any federal funding to support this and there is no funding to set up the so called after care to take care of the patients after they leave the ED.  This results in these patients continuing to come back to the ED as it is the only place for many of them to receive any care at all.  Different states and local governments have wildly different solution to help this situation out.  My local community does have some fairly aggressive free clinics and social workers who try to get these vulnerable populations the ongoing care they need.  This pandemic is of course throwing all that into significant confusion as most clinic are trying to convert as much as possible to e-visits but many of these people that is not an option.  The entire house of cards is getting blown down...

My dad taught all of us the old fashioned way. 1. Every person has an obligation to care for the needs of his family whether it's aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, cousins. 2. Every person has an obligation to support their local faith community (Church in our case). The Church is obliged to care for widows, orphans, and any of those members of it's faith community whenever these person's family is unable to meet their needs. 3. Every person is obligated to help their near neighbors to the extent they are able when the resources of family and Church are unable to meet the needs. Government is not a replacement for these ideals. Not even close.  

Not only would those people who could not pay or had no insurance still get treated here in the US, mindful that somewhere SOMEONE pays. One of the additional laws passed in the last few days here in the US state that people being treated for the Coronavirus will be covered by Federal funds.

This is a pretty big deal as even a short stay in a hospital, although covered by insurance, can be quite costly for the individual. My recent stay stay of a little over a week, admittedly with an ambulance trip and a couple of surgeries thrown in, when I broke my ankle, ran about $3000 US in co-pays and uncovered expenses. A couple of years ago when I went through a Coronary Embolism compounded with Pneumonia cost about the same. Don't even ask what our out-of-pocket expenses were for my wife's two rounds with kidney cancer, and some treatments she will need for the rest of her life continue to be. At no time were we denied treatment based on our ability to pay the excess costs that our insurance was/is not going to cover. In fact my wife's Oncologist has twice forced the insurance company to accept special expensive medications that they do not normally cover and treatments that also are unique to her condition.

Another rather unique thing that just happened today, is that many of the costs that would not be fully covered by my insurance company have now been waived by my insurance company! Not the Government or even a Government mandate, but an unsolicited voluntary offer directly from the insurance company.

Socialized medicine is not as big a requirement here in the US as some might think.

Well, I do believe the "shelter in place" order is finally working here locally.  It's about 9:45pm and there is no traffic noise at all. Dead quiet out there.  Almost like of those "end of the civilization" movies where the streets are empty.  Darn near spooky.

Several of my friends seem to have had the coronavirus infection. One confirmed, rest almost for certain but no test. The symptoms are very variable. We suspect we may have had the virus already as we came into contact with the confirmed case 4 days before she became unwell. All the family developed symptoms, again very variable, myself sore throat for 2 days, my wife fever and sore throat for 2-3 days, children a bit all over the place. No way of telling as no testing available and with two very young children in the family, viral infections of all kinds come and go. We of course still take all precautions but it would be nice to know whether one is immune.

But “they” are saying this one isn’t a flu.

However, I’ve been having very mild cold-like (but not quite cold-like!) symptoms for a couple of weeks, and I’ll admit the thought’s been going through my mind “have I got it?”

I think fever would be the thing to watch out for..

It's max pollen season in Northern Georgia USA, and I'm having what might be considered cold symptoms at any other time..  No fever or respiratory discomfort.