BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

3 hours ago, cog said:

Yep, it has visited us before it seems

Not quite ; this is what they call a "novel" coronavirus, meaning this particular variety is new, so nobody has any immunities to it. Other coronaviruses (including SARS and, I think, "standard" influenza and the 1918 flu) are as I understand it members of the same "family", which have in common that they look like a crown or corona. But this one hasn't been seen before.

Steven 

4 hours ago, Gregory said:

I think fever would be the thing to watch out for..

It's max pollen season in Northern Georgia USA, and I'm having what might be considered cold symptoms at any other time..  No fever or respiratory discomfort.

Pollen is hitting hard here where I live also.  Today has been the first day in probably 3 weeks without a pollen alert.

3 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Other coronaviruses (including SARS

I think if I understand it, this virus and SARS are first cousins. SARS is officially known as SARS-CoV. The other viruses in this family are in order of appearance:  229E, NL63, OC43, HKU1, MERS-CoV. and SARS-CoV. This virus is Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 or SARS-CoV2. Although the symptoms are similar to the influenza virus the two are not the same.

Looks like all schools in South Korea will not open this school year. Few days ago, the minister of education in Singapore closed all schools after two weeks of schoolwork due to rapid outbreak. The COVID-19 is so infectious, that starting schools caused massive community infection includes kindergarten students and their grandparents.

As a result, buying a webcam became pretty difficult in South Korea due to an online education. All schools in South Korea will open online curriculum next week, and parents are buying PC peripherals such as webcam, monitor, and tablet pen. It caused wide sold out on webcam explicitly. The average price of webcam already increased by three or four times, and it also happens to the US amazon market place. If you have a child, I recommend you to prepare for online education now. Ipad is NOT enough. Its screen is too small for several hours of schoolwork. Your children will need a laptop or large screen monitor at home. (You shouldn't connect the laptop to TV in the living room because every student will look your *** behind your children. :) ) I expect that this unconventional situation will be longer than a year. 

- Buy PC cam (or webcam). It is almost essential for online study, and it will follow the toilet paper. :) 

- Buy laptop or PC with large size monitor if you don't have.

- Make a mini school room for your children. If not, you can't breathe when your children are studying.

I hope my experience preemptively help parents who have students.

We already have online classes here and to say the least they are a pain in the Butt for us parents. The teachers have no idea how to use them yet and most of the instructions on how to connect are garbled at best. My oldest grandson who is fairly computer savvy has not been able to properly connect for two days now. He says it is the password provided by the teacher that does not work. I find it hard to understand why these classes have to be password protected in the first place. Are they afraid someone from outside their allowed group will enter their class and steal some learning? My younger grandson who I get connected everyday has one teacher that requires the students to turn off their cameras to "Protect their privacy". Is she afraid that in the small space visible around my kids head that is filling the screen she will see something scary........... or ugly, (Like me) or possibly it will be our cat who LOVES my youngest and tends to walk all over him whenever he is sitting still and give him kisses when she thinks he is not paying enough attention to her. It's going to be a long few months, and not just because the kids are at home 24/7.

As a side note here is some public service information on social distancing:

image.png.5c39a6f37aaa59c727a4b8f9e493e116.png

:D:ph34r:

14 hours ago, lmagna said:

My younger grandson who I get connected everyday has one teacher that requires the students to turn off their cameras to "Protect their privacy"

It has nothing to do with their  surroundings, but with what a third party may derive from it, even face recognition. Wrong  point of view Lou

I would like to suggest that if you're posting "advice" from the internet, please go check snopes.com.   There's a lot of false information going around and before passing it on, take a few minutes to fact check it.   

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I would like to suggest that if you're posting "advice" from the internet, please go check snopes.com.   There's a lot of false information going around and before passing it on, take a few minutes to fact check it.   

Does anyone know for sure the accuracy of snopes rebutals? I'm not entirely certain why it is I should trust snopes. But I do believe one must question everything we are told, and I mean everything. 

As for me, I am not waiting for the government nor snopes to save me. I would rather trust my inherited instincts for survival and my own ability and responsibility to check things out for myself, then believe what I best see fit.

Multiple sources are the best, CDW, as you pointed out.  And I do agree, we each are responsible for our own safety.  Sadly, there's too many idiots around who think government is supposed to save them.  

Snoops used to be very reliable but they were sold to a liberal leaning company and their results now show a liberal bias to the results.  Checked at against something I know very well and today's snoops results are much different than before.

Just now, mtaylor said:

Multiple sources are the best, CDW, as you pointed out.  And I do agree, we each are responsible for our own safety.  Sadly, there's too many idiots around who think government is supposed to save them.  

For the most part, I believe multiple sources are helpful. But I am certain that down through time, correct answers were often not popular, nor were they accepted by the mainstream. 

Today more than ever, it seems there is often a hidden agenda behind popular thoughts/intellectual positions. 

Today were are told it's in our collective best interest to shelter in place, hunker down. All of us. We are also told by the same experts, this virus is primarily adverse to a small, select group of individuals (roughly 20%) over a certain age and who have preconditions of compromised immune systems, while the vast majority (roughly 80%) could contract the virus with only mild symptoms, some even no symptoms. Now why on earth is it best to shelter everyone in place when we could instead shelter/confine only the smaller percentage who are potentially compromised? Having the vast majority contract the virus and fight it off is a huge benefit for the immune system, and their immunity could potentially be used give the smaller percentage their antibodies later.

CDW, the mortality of this virus is high. Younger fit people will survive but many will need days or weeks in intensive care, if not available they will not make it. This is why health systems are struggling. Here in the UK and around the world there are cases of very young people, in their 20s and 30s, dying from the virus.

I believe the key to ending this crisis will be the development of tests to identify those who have recovered or have had Corona virus without getting sick. These lucky individuals will have protective antibodies and will be safe to return to the workforce. We do antibody tests for pets all the time and I'm certain the scientific community is working on this approach. I'm hoping that in the near future there will be a combined test for both active virus and the presence of protective antibodies. That will be the game changer! 

Oh dear, been watching the evening’s presidential state-of-the-coronavirus, um, speech.  Not quite as inspirational as Her Britannic Majesty’s 5-minute address to the UK population four hours earlier, but maybe it will have helped  to give solace to some of you over there. Hope so, anyway.

6 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

Snoops used to be very reliable but they were sold to a liberal leaning company and their results now show a liberal bias to the results.  Checked at against something I know very well and today's snoops results are much different than before.

I wasn't aware they had been sold.   Well, toss that site into the dustbin for fact checking.

5 hours ago, CDW said:

For the most part, I believe multiple sources are helpful. But I am certain that down through time, correct answers were often not popular, nor were they accepted by the mainstream. 

I tend to agree that there's a certain slant/take depending on the news source.   Sadly, I'm not sure any news source is unbiased.   At one time NPR was but now they're a voice that's very slanted.

I was thinking about that the other day Steven. I bet the guys doing their tour on the nuke boats, completely isolated from anyone other than each other are as happy as pigs in a poke right now. If the cruise was timed right they won't be coming in until it is pretty much all over. And no shortage of toilet paper for them!:D

What about the subs which have an infected sailor on board ... "you can hide but can't run"???

The only navel ship I know of that has the virus on board is an aircraft carrier that appears to have gotten infected when she docked in Vietnam and sent sailors ashore! Of course Vietnam claims they only had 241 total cases with 150 active and no deaths nation wide! Who wouldn't believe those numbers in a population of 97 million?

Most of our nukes don't even visit foreign ports on a deployment. Heck they don't even come to the surface all that often!

17 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

Snoops used to be very reliable

11 hours ago, mtaylor said:

At one time NPR was but now they're a voice that's very slanted.

Apparently nowadays you have to take the news from both and assume the truth is somewhere in between.

6 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Apparently nowadays you have to take the news from both and assume the truth is somewhere in between.

That is spot-on.

Where’s your wife?

In the garden…

I didn’t see her.

You only need to dig a little.

Or how about this one?

Whoever owes you money, go to their house now. They should be home.