BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

Heard some interesting discussions from some doctors  saying how some of the symptoms  can be similar to Influenza  with  Pneumonia  aggravations  attacking the T cells, speculating why it is most deadly in people with  underlying health conditions.

Stay safe everyone.

OC.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Heard some interesting discussions from some doctors  saying how some of the symptoms  can be similar to Influenza  with  Pneumonia  aggravations  attacking the T cells, speculating why it is most deadly in people with  underlying health conditions.

Stay safe everyone.

OC.

That's what they're reporting here, OC.  Not a good thing.

But to leave maybe a smile here.... found this on the web with the misspelling and all..

16yavg.jpg.58f1648904b5211686049c59a672a556.jpg

6 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

Got this off one of my writer's groups - fits the NRG / MSW crowd perfectly

9100966_1586792880FmUfunny_meme.jpg

Nice.  I saw someone was selling a tshirt that said “World of Warcraft... practicing social distancing since 2004”

On 4/10/2020 at 11:29 PM, PopDavid said:

According to the TP industry, the average person uses 141 rolls of paper a year. 

HOLY MOLY!  That average person apparently spends the entire day on the pot, using up almost a half roll of TP.  Oh, but wait, that means  that while there have to be people out there that use less, it also means there are some that use more!  I think the TP industry is just full you know what.

4 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

HOLY MOLY!  That average person apparently spends the entire day on the pot, using up almost a half roll of TP.  Oh, but wait, that means  that while there have to be people out there that use less, it also means there are some that use more!  I think the TP industry is just full you know what.

Well, some use it for cleaning and polishing of furniture, but still 141 rolls a year seems excessive unless there's folks hoarding the stuff and have been doing it for decades.

A possible outcome of this invasion:

A significant portion of common cold infections are due to coronavirus species.  They have been with us for a long time, yet there is no vaccine nor any treatment that is not just for the symptoms.

SARS is caused by a coronavirus species and although much effort was expended, no effective vaccine has been developed.  No specific treatment has been found.   The suppression of SARS before it became part of our environment would be an understandable reason not to manufacture a commercial vaccine, but it would be insane not to have an effective vaccine in reserve if one were possible.  I find it unreasonable to place the blame for not even having a possible vaccine on it not being profitable.  My money is on it defeating our present methods and techniques at every turn.

MERS is another coronavirus species that was stopped early, but no vaccine for it either.

This entire family of virus may have evolved in a way to bypass being a trigger for our specific antibody immune response with long term memory.  It may only trigger a generic infection response.  After a few months, our immune system stops expending the effort.  Then the same virus could reinfect and require the same generic defense.  Colds already do this.

We may have an ongoing new agent in our environment that makes it even more deadly to be less than healthy, old, or unlucky (or whatever conditions that cause death in those who seem otherwise healthy).

If the next one has a cryptic latency period, but goes for the young and healthy with a high fatality rate, the way the 1918 virus did, and we handle it like this one,  climate change and loss of human free environment may cease to be a problem.

17 minutes ago, Jaager said:

A possible outcome of this invasion:

A significant portion of common cold infections are due to coronavirus species.  They have been with us for a long time, yet there is no vaccine nor any treatment that is not just for the symptoms.

SARS is caused by a coronavirus species and although much effort was expended, no effective vaccine has been developed.  No specific treatment has been found.   The suppression of SARS before it became part of our environment would be an understandable reason not to manufacture a commercial vaccine, but it would be insane not to have an effective vaccine in reserve if one were possible.  I find it unreasonable to place the blame for not even having a possible vaccine on it not being profitable.  My money is on it defeating our present methods and techniques at every turn.

MERS is another coronavirus species that was stopped early, but no vaccine for it either.

This entire family of virus may have evolved in a way to bypass being a trigger for our specific antibody immune response with long term memory.  It may only trigger a generic infection response.  After a few months, our immune system stops expending the effort.  Then the same virus could reinfect and require the same generic defense.  Colds already do this.

We may have an ongoing new agent in our environment that makes it even more deadly to be less than healthy, old, or unlucky (or whatever conditions that cause death in those who seem otherwise healthy).

If the next one has a cryptic latency period, but goes for the young and healthy with a high fatality rate, the way the 1918 virus did, and we handle it like this one,  climate change and loss of human free environment may cease to be a problem.

Or, putting it another way, Gaia’s been doing a bit of thinking, and might have come up with an interesting way to solve the ‘humanity plague’ problem.

I think people need to invest more time into  building up deffences in thier immune system  to help fight of these range of corona  virus's   so we are all a little more  healthy to fight them off.

OC.

57 minutes ago, probablynot said:

Or, putting it another way, Gaia’s been doing a bit of thinking, and might have come up with an interesting way to solve the ‘humanity plague’ problem.

That is just the way Biology works.  Any species that gets into a positive feedback situation as far as its population will attain a density where everything crashes in on it.   The result is a near extinction population level.  My read is that the long term sustainable human population on Earth is in the range of 500,000,000.   We have exceeded that by using up stored resources that are running out and can't be replaced,  This is not sustainable.  For Gaia to be able provide an environment that humans would want, at least 50% of the land (every sort of system) and 50% of the oceans need to be free from human predation.  We have not, are not, will never be wise enough or intelligent enough to manage Nature.  The web of life has too many interacting parts.  I do not think that this is an agent that will rectify the imbalance.  It is a weak hint of a microscopic glance of what Nature's repair of our insult will look like.

30 minutes ago, JohnB40 said:

This is a forum for model ship building...Please let us leave politics off the forum,there are other venues available for that purpose.

Yeah.  Apologies. This virus makes us say things ...

27 minutes ago, gjdale said:

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat.  It was obvious she thought her cat understood her.  I came into my house, told my dog….we laughed a lot.

Glad you do not suffer from social distancing disease, Grant ...........

I have searched high and low to secure myself a face mask as everyone is requesting people to wear one when venturing out to shop for food. Well Amazon takes 3 or 4 weeks minimum to ship. I am resorting to just toss a pair of my wifes underpants over my head. Nothing got by those in years.

Remember the good ole days (two months ago) when you could go to the store, bring your stuff home and put it directly into the frig and cupboards? Man, those were the days. Now, going to the store is the quick part. Wiping down packaging, quarantining plastic wrapped items in tubs for five days before using even after wiping them down and the countless hand washings that take place during the process takes hours. Of course, what else is there to do besides watch TV and count the bricks in your neighbors house? 

7 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Of course, what else is there to do besides watch TV and count the bricks in your neighbors house? 

Coming soon...   

Fly swatting competition.  there's two categories here:  "Fly swatter" and the popular "rubber band shoot". 

Stomping the ants to polka music or if you're old enough to remember "The Bristol Stomp".  

Watching the grass and weeds grow.

I might actually put some paint on our walls and watch it dry,     I have already  studied our vacume cleaner  - I never new it made so many beautiful sounds,   also  did you know  plates are made and exact size so they will fit in a microwave, I even  worked out when a  cup of milk was hot by listening to the bubbles in the microwave.

Who said life was dull.😝

OC.