Coronavirus effects

• 3 weeks later...

Life as we know it has come to a stop in the last 12 hours.

We have AT LEAST 11/2" of snow this morning and it is still falling! People on the news are beyond themselves in warnings about how we need to stay home and safe in this emergency storm warning. 

I will surely be taking my live in my own hands when I go out in a few minutes to go a couple of miles to pick up my grandson from his overnighter at a friends house last night!

COVID wise things are slowly opening a little around here but it is like ground hogs sticking their noses out and testing the wind.

23 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Life as we know it has come to a stop in the last 12 hours.

We have AT LEAST 11/2" of snow this morning and it is still falling!

It gets like that here, 1" and it's  gridlocked, trains can't run, schools wont open, government breaks down, no scratch that last bit, any weather causes that!

I'll back Jack with his caution, as we  get 4x4 d**heads over here too

20 minutes ago, lmagna said:

COVID wise things are slowly opening a little around here but it is like ground hogs sticking their noses out and testing the wind.

One minute we are open, the next we are closed again.  I wish someone would make up their mind!  One doctor says that we should wear two masks and another says that causes you to suck air from the sides of your mask instead of through the cloth so it's worse for you.  We have so many people walking around our neighborhood without masks.  I went to take the garbage out to the alley the other day, and as I lifted the bag into the can, someone right behind me started talking.  A guy was walking his dog in the ally.  He didn't have a mask on and he was standing 3 feet away from me.  I politely responded to his greeting, but then I quickly walked back toward the house.  I told him "No offense, but neither of us have masks on".  I'm going to go hibernate.  Let me know when it's safe to come out.

Putting together what is being said and not said:

The whole government Covid19 response directions are intended to keep the hospital system from crashing.  It is not about prevention. 

This thing is among us - forever from a practical view. 

A new factor is that survival time of those with chronic medical conditions will be reduced, this on a population statistics level.  The already compromised bodies will probably not always be able to present an effective immune response.   

The vaccines that change the damage level to less than requiring hospitalization will serve the majority of us just as well and at least one is a single shot deal. 

We now have an uglier version of the Common Cold.  The vaccine will probably be something like an annual or biannual chore from now on. 

This virus family bypasses our antibody mediated immune system.  It is a cellular immune response.  This requires so much effort by the body that it wears off when the attacker is no longer present.  We can get it again and again.

This agent is less than a pin prick compared to what would be necessary to get the planetary human population level down to a level that is sustainable.  Gaia will fix it for us, if we do not.  When that times comes, what is represented by the four horsemen will not be the whole of it.

I know it is a mere dusting Jack, even by my standards. As for the 4WD morons, we are the training grounds for those four wheel drive types. When they fail their driving tests in other locations, they get sent here for practice!:( The news this morning said that there had been about 100 accident responses in the Seattle metro area overnight since the snow started! Most of that was morning but the streets were EMPTY during the night and early morning hours!

I was checking the local traffic cameras this morning to see how the roads were and in one camera it showed a total of three cars as far as the camera could see and one of them was spun out 180 degrees! The only reason that would happen was if the person driving was going too fast! Flat street, no turns, almost no traffic, and they spin out so badly they are facing the wrong direction by the time they stop! By the way I made it across town and back without any issues at all, and that was in my wife's car that has somewhat worn tires compared to my other cars. Tomorrow when it all freezes again overnight, it will be far worse than it is today.

I wish the Government here would shut down Edward! They seem to already be in the broken mode! 

I think it is going to be a while before we are comfortable with people who invade our six foot comfort zone Mary. It is amazing how when I need to go out it has become second nature for me to stand apart from others and how uncomfortable I get when they don't do the same. It does appear that it happens more to my wife than to me though. Once in a while she will take our dog out for his walk instead of me and she always comes back saying that some one came up to her and did the "Cute dog" thing wanting to pet him etc. That never happens to me. I suppose it is just because I look like an over the hill curmudgeon who is about ready to snap and leave a trail of bodies!

Edited by lmagna
21 minutes ago, lmagna said:

The news this morning said that there had been about 100 accident responses in the Seattle metro area overnight

In Texas they had a 130 car pile-up.  I also saw a video of a pick-up truck in Wisconsin who was driving too fast on a curved overhead ramp.  He slid, hit some snow at the side of the ramp and went over the side to the underpass below.  Fortunately his truck landed on its wheels and he survived.  People need to be more careful.  Hit a little ice and away you go!

My mother died in December 2004 in Western NY, we had just gotten a brand new 2004 Chevy Impala FWD, no snow tires just those wannabee All Season tires, albeit brand new; so we drove it to western NY. After the funeral we left Buffalo in a Lake Effect snow storm that stretched the entire 300 plus miles west to east of the NY State Thruway to almost into Albany, could not drive faster than 35-40 mph, state plows were clearing the road as fast as the snow fell.  From Albany south there was no snow. Along the entire journey every car and pickup truck that was off the road in a ditch was a 4WD vehicle, not a single 2WD car.  We made it home safely with no problems. 

4WD/AWD will get you moving when a 2WD is having a problem getting moving, but after that the 4WD/AWD behaves just like a 2WD, same laws of Physics apply. 

Edited by Jack12477

We had to go to San Diego this weekend for a funeral (not COVID related) and decided to take our daughter to the zoo. Big mistake. Tickets were 60 a piece and because the zoo says they are only allowing 10 percent capacity and reservations are required we thought it would be ok. We noticed right away they were letting more than 10 percent in, the line to get in must have been 15000 people long, I’m not kidding. The parking lot must hold 5000 or more cars and half of it was reserved for the line. I would guess it would have taken three or more hours to get into the park. We didn’t even get out of our car and got a refund. I couldn’t believe my eyes how many people were not wearing masks or standing way to close to each other. Crazy. 

The bank that I go to to deposit the NRG funds has a sign on the door saying that no more than 11 people can be inside at one time.  Unfortunately this includes the tellers, the bankers and the security guard, who is working more as a doorman now making sure people wait outside.  This means that only 3 people can come in to do their banking at a time.  In the summer, the line was wrapped around the building and partway down the street.  The lines aren't so bad right now - but who wants to stand out in the cold?!  At any rate, most of the time I'm the only person in line with a mask.  Everyone has one with them, but they don't put them on until they are let in the door.

Edited by NRG OFFICE MANAGER
additional info

Wanted man quits lockdown at home for ‘peace and quiet’ in prison

A wanted man handed himself in to police in West Sussex to avoid having to spend any more time in lockdown with the people he lives with. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/18/wanted-man-quits-lockdown-at-home-for-peace-and-quiet-in-prison

• Chuck locked this topic