Coronavirus effects

Being in the over 70 age group, it's hard to believe that my wife and I still haven't even gotten our first dose at our clinic.  We were most recently set up with an appointment for March 6th, but we were just informed yesterday that it has now been set back until April 3rd.  We have even looked into going to pharmacies as far away as Door County, but no dice.

I'm 74 and my wife is 72 and we get our second Pfizer vaccinations today here in Sacramento. The biggest thing slowing down the vaccinations now seems to be supply. California, like the rest of the nation, has been able to get about 75% of their vaccine supply into the arms of people. It does appear that the whole process is beginning to pick up speed.

Hopefully, we'll reach herd immunity sometime this year depending upon just what percentage of the population decides to actually get vaccinated. The UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, for example, announced that they had reached herd immunity yesterday now that over 90% of their staff has been vaccinated. At one point they had between 100 and 150 people out each day with Covid and now it is less than 10 and those few people who are getting sick are the ones who have chosen not to be vaccinated. 

It blows my mind that anyone, let alone health care workers, would choose not to be vaccinated unless they had a legitimate medical reason not to get a Covid vaccination. Dr. Fauci says that we need 70-90% of the population to be vaccinated to reach herd immunity. 

My wife and I are also in the 70+ group plus we have a multi generational home with two teens living here, but we also were getting no where with the (system)? in place here in Washington. I was not all that worried as we are retired and have been living a relatively secluded lifestyle and I feel our chances of contacting COVID as being quite small even though because of other factors, my chance of dying being pretty high if I do.

At any rate, out of the blue other opportunities presented themselves but even then it was touch and go, especially for the second shot, we now have had both. In other ways it has not changed anything as almost everything is still closed and the kids are still home schooling, (BIG joke there) and no one in the house is really in contact with anyone outside of the house. Now we just have to wait for society to catch up.

In NY State we have 13 state administered vaccine administering site scattered across the state plus the pharmacies. Been checking the pharmacy sites (first you have to create an individual account for each of you at each pharmacy), one says " no appointments available within 25 miles for next 3 days", other one says "no appointments within 50 miles". The state sites are worse. One site in Buffalo 350 miles away (6 hr drive one-way) had openings in July, another by Canadian border 318 miles away had some opening I think in August.  But nothing within a 1 hr drive of us within next month or two.  It's a distribution problem, not enough supply to meet demand.

1 hour ago, BobG said:

Dr. Fauci says that we need 70-90% of the population to be vaccinated to reach herd immunity. 

Yeah, that is what he says, but science says when 60% of the population is immune Herd Immunity takes over.... (lot's of doctors saying that in other media)

But then he's paid to say such things.... (gotta keep the hysteria going)

Edited by Egilman
2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Been checking the pharmacy sites

I thought I could provide you with a link where it checks the whole state every five minutes or so for availability but it turns out it was a program created by computer nerds here in Washington and only works for this state. Sorry Jack. It was a pretty good one stop resource but when I was checking a a couple of weeks ago it was pretty much just telling you where shots were NOT available. For several days in a row it only showed shots were available in two locations within the state and that was in towns in the middle of nowhere with a population of three, (On a good day!)

As for the latest catch phrase, "Herd Immunity", where in the H**L did that come from? Even though I am no doctor, I don't even get to play one on TV, it seems obvious that this will continue to mutate and our great grandchildren will still be told to get their yearly COVID shot along with their Flu shot a hundred years from now! Even if it didn't mutate, it appears that no one knows how long the effectiveness is for the current vaccine. I think I have already heard something of a "Booster" shot in a few months for the current vaccines already being administered.

26 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I think I have already heard something of a "Booster" shot in a few months for the current vaccines already being administered.

Initially you need two shots, two to three weeks apart, depending on which brand of vaccine you get initially.  I agree that it's not a lifetime vaccine.  Just like the flu shot, we will probably have to get it every year and it's not 100% effective - they are estimating about 91 - 95% effective. That means you still have a 5 - 9% chance of catching this virus even if you are vaccinated, but hopefully the symptoms will not be as bad.  The standard flu shot is even less effective than that.  We'll probably have to wear masks for the rest of our lives, if some politicians have their way.

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

As for the latest catch phrase, "Herd Immunity", where in the H**L did that come from?

Lou, Scientific fact... (at least that is what they taught me 50 years ago)...... 8th grade human biology class, the section on immunology..... (it's why we don't massively die from the flu or common cold)

Problem is, they are ignoring all the basic knowledge imparted to us citizens in favor of their computer generated models, which are completely based upon the opinions of those inputting the data... (which was also taught to us in 10th grade computer tech) Computer modeling is only as accurate as the data that is input, and we know about the verified examples of incorrect/false/padded data that our wonderful governments have been foisting on people.... The same data used in the computer models.....

I don't believe anything the talking heads and their political masters say, no matter how many credentials they impart to them.... Mass hysteria accentuated by money....

Everytime they use "projected" or "possibly" or "potential" tells my classically educated mind that they really don't have a clue themselves.... A year ago this March, Dr Fauci was telling us that this was no worse than the common cold, not to worry about it and to go about our normal business.... And that was in his official capacity as the political media's self described world's foremost expert.... (until the govt. started forking over 100's of millions of dollars, he quickly changed his tune when the media started paying him as the worlds foremost "Expert")

Everything he says is agenda based.....

A logical, classically educated person would take anything they say with a large grain of salt....

My Doctors are saying to me that they are hoping that the hysteria is over soon, they are tired of it as well....

Edited by Egilman
6 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Just tone it down a bit please, Egilman.  Remember that over 500,000 people have died in the U.S.A. from this "mass hysteria".

If we can't keep this thread on an even keep it will (unfortunately) need to be locked.

John

No problem, I wasn't talking about the very real disease, I was talking about the media hype, we just crossed the 500K total at the end of February, when the media and the political talking heads were saying their models had us passing that threshold well before Christmas and at the latest New Years.....

That and all such claims and predictions are Mass Hysteria fomenting claims.... The disease is very real, the claims about it are off the wall.....

That's a fact everyone has to listen to everyday..... If the truth throws us off an even keel, how stable are we in the first place?

Again I'll go away for another nine months, since even hinting at reality brings threats of dire consequences....

Just call me a realist.... Reality is always the best view in my opinion...

Edited by Egilman

NEWS FLASH!!    We were informed yesterday that our Vaccine appointment at our clinic was pushed back to April., but apparently persistence pays off sometimes.  After numerous phone calls to Pharmacies in our county, we were able to get an appointment for noon today at a Walgreens in Oregon.  So now we are at least half way protected. 

13 hours ago, lmagna said:

What ship is that?

The painting by Sarel Theron, is of the HMS Excalibur, a 104 gun first rate with a crew of 820 patrolling off the isle of Hispaniola. 

The puzzle is actually printed on basswood with a letter matrix printed on the backside, so the location of any piece can be confirmed by viewing the backside of the adjoining pieces. 

100_6648.thumb.JPG.151d1d5d1ee1dc80435ebece1243edd0.JPG

This 1000 piece puzzle is part of the Fantasy series called the Age of Discovery series from www.ingood.com.  The pieces have a real good bite that allows a very secure connection between the pieces, and would make it an easy puzzle to mount as a picture for display.

My comment on the painting was in reply to BobG's question and was meant as a joke as the painting has been adopted by gamers and used as a representation of a fictitious ship from a fictitious country, the HMNS King Lawrence. https://iiwiki.us/wiki/HMNS_King_Lawrence It was meant to be a joke as to be honest, I had no idea what ship or even painting it was and was going to admit to that when caught up on the fiction. I thought someone would catch on and some laughs would be had.

At any rate congratulations on the puzzle. I personally have very little talent or patience for jigsaw puzzles. I can do them for a while but then always seem to get bored for some reason. Maybe it's the company I keep? 

• Chuck locked this topic