BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

The admiral is quite anxious about all this  not helping her all ready  worried state,   we  fear  not  getting our  important  shopping delivered  every two weeks   and her  vital meds  she also has delivered   - very worrying situation to be honest,   its kind of like fearing the pending doom  like watching a  horror film  but feeling ok  knowing your not  in the film  (for now).

OC.

I heard/read today that some doctors/researchers believe there is a direct connection between blood pressure medications and the severity of the virus on individuals. The hypothesis is that these medications allow the virus to readily attach itself to the victim's cells. It was quite a detailed read/watch. Here it is if you're interested.

Derek,

I received a similar note hanging on my door this morning from a neighbor.  Spoke with them this afternoon and told them I'd be glad to help out if they need it.  So far, the virus hasn't hit us where I am and hope it doesn't.  The only thing we've had to deal with is the panic buying of toilet paper (why?), hand sanitizer and few other odds and ends.   

I also got an email from doctor (mass mail to all his patients) that they will help get prescriptions to people who need them.  

The newest wrinkle in the hoarding mania seems to be people stockpiling guns and ammunition. :huh:  Apparently once they have gotten all the TP and sanitiser they can get, they will need to protect their stash!🙄

15 hours ago, probablynot said:

but it doesn’t have the Luftwaffe or the Gestapo to maintain it.

I open and close mail box with a clorox wipe , wipe the outside letters with a wipe. also wear a pair of latex gloves, and wash hands thoroughly back in the house.

Well, apparently the bosses here in the UK, miscalculated a few things. The virus is spreading much faster. Schools in England are shutting down but from next week. People are advised to avoid social contacts.

Unluckily, the Prime Minister's father said today on national TV that he sees no reason for people not to go to the pub for a couple of pints and a chat. After all the pubs are still open!

50% rise in deaths in the last 24 h

8 minutes ago, James H said:

I guess I just got a lot more free time on my hands.

I presume you will be able to fill it to your hart's content maybe even do some modelling ;) Must be weird though. Does your school convert classes to online courses? Here most schools are changing curriculum to online for certain classes, same goes for university classes. The national final exam - High school - will not be taken this year. I don't know what that means for the final examinees. Probably it will be postponed

16 minutes ago, James H said:

I work in a UK school.

I guess I just got a lot more free time on my hands.

You should do pod cast work with some your school children   would be good for you and keep them busy.

OC.

22 hours ago, probablynot said:

When the postman sticks a bit of junk mail through the front-door letterbox, how long should I let it lay on the hallway floor before I pick it up?

Probably a few hours, at most. Reports are it doesn't live as long on porous surfaces as on non-porous surfaces. Paper and cloth, not so long. Stainless steel is the longest. Copper a little less. The times were in terms of hours, not days. You're probably in pretty good shape if you're not within six feet of a carrier coughing at you. Problem is, it is communicable prior to symptoms appearing, so there's no way to know if somebody's got it or not.

2 hours ago, vaddoc said:

Well, apparently the bosses here in the UK, miscalculated a few things. The virus is spreading much faster. Schools in England are shutting down but from next week. People are advised to avoid social contacts.

Unluckily, the Prime Minister's father said today on national TV that he sees no reason for people not to go to the pub for a couple of pints and a chat. After all the pubs are still open!

50% rise in deaths in the last 24 h

OMG! And I thought our politicians were idiots here in the US. They should have shut down the whole country and ordered "shelter in place" except for essential errands and services a couple of weeks ago. It spreads before symptoms appear. The "curve" has "gone ballistic" here... straight up. And we don't have test kits to test anybody other than those with symptoms referred by a doctor, so we don't even know how bad it is yet. When the number of ICU hospital beds are full and all available ventilators are in use, the mortality rate skyrockets. Italy's there already and having to triage hospital admissions. If you are over eighty or severely compromised, they send you home to die and give the available beds to those with the greater chance of survival. It kills around three in a hundred with intensive treatment. Without treatment, those who need it die. Simple as that. Shutting things down slows the spread and thus the number who need intensive care at any one time. That's why slowing the spread of it is so critical. Some seem not to have "gotten the memo" on that yet. 

1 hour ago, cog said:

I presume you will be able to fill it to your hart's content maybe even do some modelling ;) Must be weird though. Does your school convert classes to online courses? Here most schools are changing curriculum to online for certain classes, same goes for university classes. The national final exam - High school - will not be taken this year. I don't know what that means for the final examinees. Probably it will be postponed

We are moving to Microsoft Teams for our Yr11 (exam year) students. We do know that main exams will be postponed, but we don't know where to. My guess is post-September. UK schools are now operating in skeleton-fashion for exam-year students only, and also for those whose parents work in key services such as health and distribution networks.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

You should do pod cast work with some your school children   would be good for you and keep them busy.

OC.

Not for me. I'm not a teacher. We do have other systems in place.

4 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Lucky you! Those little buggers are walking petri dishes even in the best of times!

Absolutely! They show few symptoms but they carry this like any other. I'm hopeful for how the govt. have health with this, but wish they'd done it a week ago.

I feel compelled to add a comment, particularly about toilet paper  - loo paper, bog roll, etc. - the hoarding in my local, retail grocery stores. It was surprising to me when I learned over the past several days that this was not only a U.S. phenomenon, but an international one as well. So, I did some research...

After reviewing a couple psychology articles about hoarding, a straightforward answer emerged: when faced with EXTREME stress, nearly everyone unconsciously attempts to exert some type of CONTROL to assure themselves that all will be fine. When one can't control circumstances beyond their immediate control, people reach for soothing solutions to their anxiety. Hoarding during most any crisis is not rational, nor for the vast majority of people, even particularly effective. Who knows what shortages will present themselves during a mess like the one we are all in at the moment; shortages of Elmer's Glue? X-Acto knife blades?...uh, Minwax natural stain...?

Keep Calm. Carry On my ship modeling colleagues.... And please, please don't wipe out the bog roll aisle at your local store. It really is anal-retentive behavior. 🤣

Ron

Just now, Bob Cleek said:

Some seem not to have "gotten the memo" on that yet. 

Think about it...how would one presume to immediately, "shut things down", as if you were to have flipped a switch? How would you enforce it? By whom? Police forces already have a full plate without this virus. Would you deploy the military to enforce a shut down? Enact martial law? How would you presume to keep the military from contracting the virus?

In reality, I think we all have "ideas", but implementing those ideas is totally another matter. Do not underestimate the potential for things to go wrong in ways you have never dreamed of. At best, I think we all need to follow the guide lines we've been given and pray a lot. For those in leadership. If you don't believe in prayer, then meditate on positive things and think happy thoughts. 

I ran across this article in The Atlantic. Very sobering to contemplate that the US could end up in the same situation. My wife and I and my son's in-laws would be in the category where treatment would be denied.

28 minutes ago, CDR_Ret said:

I ran across this article in The Atlantic. Very sobering to contemplate that the US could end up in the same situation. My wife and I and my son's in-laws would be in the category where treatment would be denied.

That depends largely on the development of the infected number of people, short or extended period. If the number of infectees stays below the maximum help service level, you would not be in that position at all. It stand, or falls, with the measures taken by your local/regional/national governement. It also depends on the willingness of people to conform to those measures.

43 minutes ago, CDR_Ret said:

Aw, I really didn’t want to be sobered this much.  So OK it’s up to me to prove it wrong when my time comes.

As it will....

2 minutes ago, probablynot said:

Aw, I really didn’t want to be sobered this much.  So OK it’s up to me to prove it wrong when my time comes.

As it will....

So far you always do :)

5 hours ago, cog said:

That depends largely on the development of the infected number of people, short or extended period. If the number of infectees stays below the maximum help service level, you would not be in that position at all. It stand, or falls, with the measures taken by your local/regional/national governement. It also depends on the willingness of people to conform to those measures.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, here in the US, we're at the point where a grammar school kid could do the math and conclude that exceeding the available medical resources is inevitable. The scientists tell us we are "two weeks behind Italy" in terms of the contagion. We simply don't the the intensive care units and ventilator machines necessary to treat the number of patients who will certainly need them, by a large margin. That is just the facts as they are at the moment.

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Think about it...how would one presume to immediately, "shut things down", as if you were to have flipped a switch? How would you enforce it? By whom? Police forces already have a full plate without this virus. Would you deploy the military to enforce a shut down? Enact martial law? How would you presume to keep the military from contracting the virus?

In reality, I think we all have "ideas", but implementing those ideas is totally another matter. Do not underestimate the potential for things to go wrong in ways you have never dreamed of. At best, I think we all need to follow the guide lines we've been given and pray a lot. For those in leadership. If you don't believe in prayer, then meditate on positive things and think happy thoughts. 

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, where the virus is spreading in the population now, and cases aren't limited to somebody who got off a cruise ship or an airplane, the government didn't presume anything. They just did it... unfortunately not as soon as they could have, but who knew? The government has huge power to suspend ordinary rights in an emergency and that's just what they did. On a county by county basis, as the virus was identified as spreading, they simply ordered a "shut down" of all non-essential businesses and activities. Where I live, in Sonoma County, as in San Francisco and Silicon Valley and elsewhere, they issued an edict that all non-essential businesses must close and no gatherings of more than 25 people were to be allowed. All the schools were closed. Nobody is allowed outside their home except for essential errands or to walk for exercise. The only businesses permitted to be open are grocery stores, drive-through (not dine-in) restaurants, banks, hospitals, and gas stations, and, of course, police and fire stations, but not for non-emergency business. All bars, dine-in restaurants, theaters, and so on, are closed. It is a misdemeanor to violate these restrictions and you can get a ticket and be fined for it. It happened exactly like "flipping a switch."  Everybody is sitting at home watching TV and playing on the internet. We're getting our groceries delivered, as are a lot of people. It's like being on vacation without being able to do anything fun. Even Disneyland is closed and they only ever did that before when Kennedy was shot and on 9/11.

It's pretty amazing that, by and large, everybody's complying with the restrictions. There are always some jerks who don't, but what else is new? I think most people are staying at home indoors because they don't want to catch the stuff. That's how it's really being enforced. The majority of people do obey the law.

I see you're from Tampa, Florida. I don't think it's really hit your area as yet. Don't think it won't, and when it does, it spreads really fast. When it does, you'll see the cases start doubling every day. 1+1=2, 2+2=4, 4+4=8, 8+8=16, 16+16=32... you won't notice it at first, but when the numbers get up around 300+300=600, and quickly into the thousands and ten thousands, I guarantee it will get your attention. If people isolate themselves now, you will have a chance to slow the rate of infection down enough that your medical resources may be able to respond to those who critically need attention. If not, they are going to have to start deciding in the emergency rooms who's going to get treatment and who's going to die, based on how likely they are to survive... which is what is happening in Italy right now. 

Prayer is always a good thing, but, as the saying goes, "God helps those who help themselves." It is like the movie, Jaws, Florida really should have closed the beaches before Spring Break. Just imagine how many of those kids from the Northeast, where the virus is spreading like wildfire, brought it down there with them to share with you!

Many European countries have shut down, literally with the flip of a switch. In Spain, drones fly to police the roads. In France, you need to download and print a special permission every time you leave your house. In Greece, 3 days ago dozens of shop owners were arrested for opening their shops, they face lengthy prison sentences. Examples go on. Italy of course is further ahead in this journey. Indeed, the governments have huge powers but also the bulk of the population are cooperating.