BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

We are self isolating the admiral and myself  - not because we have anything (I had a common cold last week but fine now)   we have no friends or family  very isolated  even under normal life,   we have our twice monthly shopping due to be delivered  next tue/wed  but have noticed the two stores we use  Asda and Tesco  have been saying their shelves have been  emptied by thoughtless  #####$$$$$%%%%.....folk   we are already fast running out of  milk/ loo roll, basic foods  like bread  cold meat  tinned stuff like  tinned beans.

So to say we are worried does not cut it.

In the mean time I will just keep building models  try to re assure the admiral that all will be fine  - and carry on.

OC.

19 hours ago, vaddoc said:

The world will not stop spinning and treatments will and actually are starting to appear. Due to the circumstances, they probably will be fast tracked without going through the full number of loops and hoops. This has happened before with bad diseases and actually, already in Europe I read somewhere that an antiviral drug that of course is not licenced for this disease will be compassionately given to very unwell patients. It helps also that money is not an issue. We need to buy time paying the smallest price possible

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." Medical authorities have been quite clear that there will not be any vaccine available in less than a year to a year and a half, fast-tracked or not. Medical authorities, including Gilead Pharmaceuticals, which reportedly was developing the rumored antiviral drug you mentioned, have unequivocally debunked that rumor. There is no such drug and none is expected to be developed any time in the near future. There's a lot of bogus information floating around and that which serves to lull people into complacency is counterproductive. The only measure presently available is staying away from one another and slowing the spread so there will be medical resources available to treat those who need treatment.

10 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." Medical authorities have been quite clear that there will not be any vaccine available in less than a year to a year and a half, fast-tracked or not. Medical authorities, including Gilead Pharmaceuticals, which reportedly was developing the rumored antiviral drug you mentioned, have unequivocally debunked that rumor. There is no such drug and none is expected to be developed any time in the near future. There's a lot of bogus information floating around and that which serves to lull people into complacency is counterproductive. The only measure presently available is staying away from one another and slowing the spread so there will be medical resources available to treat those who need treatment.

They are thinking of rolling this out as a possible cure   but it has a few important side effects  - 

https://www.drugs.com/hydroxychloroquine.html

OC.

1 hour ago, marktiedens said:

What shocks me the most is that many stores are not limiting quantities of those essentials.  Officials keep telling people to stop hoarding because supplies are safe & plentiful,but they apparently just don`t care about their fellow citizens:angry:.  Also,now they are talking about releasing prisoners from jail:huh: - why?   They are probably in the best isolated position of anybody!!   They get fed,have a place to sleep,don`t have to worry about paying the rent,& most importantly have plenty of T.P.

Mark

Having been a prison administrator for almost a decade many years ago, allow me to disabuse you of your mistaken impressions. Probably the worst thing that can happen in any penal institution is a serious communicable disease outbreak. People in prison, both staff and inmates, live in extremely close quarters, much like sailors on a ship at sea. What one person gets, everybody gets. Prison medical facilities are limited, at best. There is no way they are equipped to handle the demand of this outbreak and, as you can well imagine, local hospitals aren't very enthusiastic about filling their private rooms with convicts and having armed guards imposing security protocols on their hospital staff while they are trying to deal with the overload of "free" patients. For "minimum security" non-violent offenders who pose no physical threat to the public, in extreme circumstances such as these, early release of prisoners who "don't need to be locked up" is a well-recognized standard emergency response option.  As a taxpayer, you should also consider what the cost to the government of providing treatment under these circumstances is going to cost, if nothing else.  

Just now, catopower said:

There's a joke in there somewhere... 🙃

😅 I had not thought about it in that way, but since you've mentioned it, I realize my sense of humor was an unintended communication.

Where I'm at, no cases so far within a reasonable distance.  Portland and  San Francisco are at the extreme from where I am.   The stores here have started limiting purchases of bog roll, sanitizers, and a few other things.   They've also cut hours and now have several days a week with hours in the morning (after the shelves are restocked) reserved for us "older" folks.  

I was out yesterday afternoon to buy the weeks worth and had no problems.  Maybe the panic is starting to calm down?

And to honest, if I get it, I get it.  I will refuse being put in a hospital and a respirator and I have my "no heroic efforts" paperwork done.   I saw first hand the horror that happens after any long term respirator use.   Janet was on one for 30 days and prednisone and she never was the same.

I've got a enough health issues that every day is a blessing and has been even before my health issues.  So I'm just taking each day as it comes.

The entire state of California is on official shutdown affecting all 40 million residents. Only those people who work in "essential" jobs such as health care, police and fire and grocery stores and pharmacies etc are allowed to go to work. Governor Newsom said that these drastic measures are necessary because their disease modeling indicated that up to 25 million Californians could become infected in the next 8 weeks without the shutdown. Many, many people are going to be hurt financially by this shutdown but there's no other choice really. 

10 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Where I'm at, no cases so far within a reasonable distance.  Portland and  San Francisco are at the extreme from where I am.   The stores here have started limiting purchases of bog roll, sanitizers, and a few other things.   They've also cut hours and now have several days a week with hours in the morning (after the shelves are restocked) reserved for us "older" folks.  

I was out yesterday afternoon to buy the weeks worth and had no problems.  Maybe the panic is starting to calm down?

And to honest, if I get it, I get it.  I will refuse being put in a hospital and a respirator and I have my "no heroic efforts" paperwork done.   I saw first hand the horror that happens after any long term respirator use.   Janet was on one for 30 days and prednisone and she never was the same.

I've got a enough health issues that every day is a blessing and has been even before my health issues.  So I'm just taking each day as it comes.

I understand your sentiments completely. That said, if everybody practices the precautions that are now in place where the virus is now more advanced, you have a lot better chance of not getting it, and more importantly, not giving it to somebody else who may not share your sentiments.

This humorous, but accurate, "sanitized" video from Australia explains the situation better than anything I've seen yet.  https://www.thejuicemedia.com/honest-government-ad-coronavirus-pg-version/

I am 54 years old and due to my immune system I never had a cold or flu, also my body can recover in less time than other people, for example, I had to go to the dentist on Monday and I had a wisdom tooth removed, today Thursday, my gum It is 95% closed.
I'm not perfect of course, my hair has fallen out over the years (I only have it on the sides of my head) and due to a car accident I have a herniated disc in the lumbar part, my Achilles heel let's say ... so we can say that God gives and God also takes away ..

In our forum there are many people with more than 60 years and although it is a myth that this virus attacks only old people ... (nobody is free to contract it, children, adolescents have the same chances) ... I think that the Information is never superfluous, especially if there is already a precondition in the person, who is most vulnerable.

BACKGROUND

COVID-19, originally known as 2019-nCoV, is a strain of a large family of coronaviruses which can be transmitted from animals to humans. It was first identified as the cause of a respiratory illness outbreak in Wuhan, China in late 2019. On March 11, 2020 the World Health Organization (WHO) declared COVID-19 a pandemic.

SYMPTOMS

COVID-19 symptoms are similar to the cold or flu, and may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to the virus. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention. Be vigilant as severe cases may lead to pneumonia, kidney failure or death.

Mild symptoms may include:

Fever
Cough
Shortness of Breath
Sore Throat
Runny Nose & Sneezing
Muscle Aches & Pain
Chills & Fatigue
Impaired Liver & Kidney Function

HIGH RISK

Those at higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19 include seniors, and people who have serious pre-existing medical conditions including:

Cancer
Diabetes
Heart disease
High Blood Pressure
Lung Disease
People at higher risk for serious illness and even death from COVID-19 should take extra precautions like:

Avoiding Crowds
Practicing Social Distancing
Washing Hands Often
Staying Away from Sick People
If COVID-19 is nearby, STAY HOME
High risk people should contact their healthcare provider early, even if their illness is mild.

PREVENTION

The most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19 are to frequently clean your hands, cover your cough with the bend of elbow or tissue, and maintain a distance of at least 3 feet from people who are coughing or sneezing.

The WHO and CDC advises the following prevention methods:

Wash Hands Frequently
Scrub hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds for visibly dirty hands or an alcohol-based hand rub frequently for non-visibly dirty hands.

Practice Respiratory Hygiene
When coughing and sneezing, cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - discard tissue immediately into a closed bin and clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

Maintain Social Distancing
Maintain at least 3 feet distance between yourself and other people, particularly those who are coughing, sneezing and have a fever. If you are too close, you can breathe in the virus.

Avoid Touching Eyes, Nose & Mouth
Hands touch many surfaces which can be contaminated with the virus. If you touch your eyes, nose or mouth with your contaminated hands, you can transfer the virus from the surface to yourself.

Clean & Disinfect
Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces daily in household common areas such as: tables, hard-backed chairs, doorknobs, light switches, remotes, handles, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks.

Animal Proximity Precautions
Practice general hygiene measures when visiting farms, live animal markets, wet markets, animal product markets or contact with wild animals. Ensure regular hand washing with soap and potable water after touching animals and animal products.

Animal Consumption
Avoid eating raw or under-cooked animal products. Handle raw meat, milk or animal organs with care, to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices.

Mild Symptoms
If you have mild respiratory symptoms and no travel to hard-hit areas, still seek medical care and be sure to carefully practice basic respiratory and hand hygiene and stay home until you are recovered.

Seek Medical Care Early
If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early and tell your healthcare provider if you have traveled to an area where the virus has been severely impacted, or if you have been in close contact with someone who has respiratory symptoms.

TESTS & TREATMENT

Testing
If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop symptoms such as fever, cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider for medical advice. They will decide whether you need to be tested.

People at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider early, even if their illness is mild.

Treatment
To date, there is no vaccine and no specific antiviral...

21 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

I understand your sentiments completely. That said, if everybody practices the precautions that are now in place where the virus is now more advanced, you have a lot better chance of not getting it, and more importantly, not giving it to somebody else who may not share your sentiments.

This humorous, but accurate, "sanitized" video from Australia explains the situation better than anything I've seen yet.  https://www.thejuicemedia.com/honest-government-ad-coronavirus-pg-version/

Well, I am self-isolated except for the shopping.  Face mask, clean clothes, and a fresh pair of sterile, surgical gloves is the uniform of the day when I do go out and about.  

Apropos prison and other closed communities and our hobby, there used to be a commonly used expression when I was a child "worse things happen at sea". Maybe not anymore. Again the mantra - hygiene and space and don't drive yourselves mad with miracle cures or latest rumors. Be well and have a good weekend   

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Well, I am self-isolated except for the shopping.  Face mask, clean clothes, and a fresh pair of sterile, surgical gloves is the uniform of the day when I do go out and about.  

Sounds like you're "good to go." Welcome to the club. We just got the word tonight that the whole state of CA is on "lock down" now. I expect you guys up in Oregon will be following suit soon. Keep well!

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

They are thinking of rolling this out as a possible cure   but it has a few important side effects  - 

https://www.drugs.com/hydroxychloroquine.html

OC.

Just heard an interview with a research doc on chloroquine. They are studying whether this drug, which is used to treat malaria, might be useful in treating, but not curing this virus, but, as yet, they don't know whether it will be or not. 

34 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

Just heard an interview with a research doc on chloroquine. They are studying whether this drug, which is used to treat malaria, might be useful in treating, but not curing this virus, but, as yet, they don't know whether it will be or not. 

Also just to point out, treatment does not mean vaccine. It would only be for those with the disease. Still, any positive news is welcome!

They just announced that the governors of NY, NJ, PA, and CT ordered all barbershops, hair salons, nail salons, tattoo shops to close at 8 pm Saturday to stop the spread of the virus.  

Hey, we can all become Hippies again 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

France has been under curfew since Tuesday. We are only allowed to go out for grovery shopping, medical assistance or to work, if essential. Strangely enough, you are allowed to go jogging near your house, but not to walk on the beach. They closed all parks, so no people are jogging in the streets among other people. Weird.

On Saturday, shopping was not a problem (yet). I have never seen so many staff re-stocking the shelves in our local supermarket. I wonder what it will be like tomorrow. It seems that certain supply-chains begin to be disrupted, as seasonal agricultural workers from Eastern Europe are locked out from France, Germany, etc. and lorry-drivers prefer to remain at home.

Somehow the concept of social distancing still has not sunk in, not even among baby-boomers and older ones. I had to make some serious admonitions as chairman of our association as local organisers were still considering having their monthly meetings this month or in April. The German government had not imposed a curfew yet, but most participants would be 65+ and therefore in the high-risk group.

What was said about prisons above also applies to care homes for the elderly. One sick care staff can wipe out a whole home. I am really worried for my 95 year old mother ...

I don't think that social distancing is that well received in East Anglia where I live, not to the extend needed. Lots of people, mostly elderly, roll their eyes, point blank refuse or say it is impossible. 

Northwick hospital in London just declared critical incident as it has run out of ITU beds due to virus patients. Things are moving fast there.

On the other hand, I heard an interview on the radio of a scientist leading one of the very many groups that are searching for a vaccine. They are progressing very quickly due to new technologies not available the previous years when it could take years for a vaccine to be developed.  Human tests will take a long time though so unlikely to have vaccine sooner than 12 months.

Also, reading various newspaper articles, it seems that some Asian countries have been able to control the spread of virus with very aggressive testing, tracing of cases, isolation of suspected cases and long term social distancing. Time will tell but here in the UK they are making 180 degree turn and are talking about increasing testing.

Social distancing has been rather well accepted here, although, there are always those whom think they know better, or just miss the link. As from Friday last we have been sent home to work remote (ICT) and a lot of companies have followed suit whenever possible. Monday was a day without traffic jams ... that has been a while ago. Hospitals communicate concerning ICU availability, and whenever possible respiratorive machines are flown in if found at all. Planning presently is to increase the number of ICUs by 50%, and after that have another 33% added.

Homes for the elderly have been locked for visitors permanently, they have accepted 1 visitor per day these last days, but not anymore. Hospitals were off limits already. To get admission you need to "pass" a medical examination, before you even can set one foot over the threshold

A lot of people have started activities for the elderly, supermarkets are going to have special shopping time for the elderly as in the US - great idea. Even some wholesalers opened their "stores" for the public so they can shop there. Call centres are set up so you can have a chat , or get information. A lot less empty shalves in the supermarkets around where I live, I cant tell what it is like in the main cities.

Strange to see a virus have people become a nation ...

I can understand the worries those with vulnarable familiy members. I wish them strength, and in a way ease of mind

We as (normally  isolated couple)  can cope with no contact with  people (friends/family  as we have none   as long as we get  the shopping we need  every two weeks  the PTB  tell us  not to go out  don't interact with people  - wont get your shopping you already  pre ordered  for delivery  -  so what are you supposed to do  (die quietly I suppose)

OC.

5 minutes ago, BLACK VIKING said:

I know how you feel m8 I have tried to get a home delivery from Asda can't get a delivery till after the 10th of April oh goody. So much for self isolation 😡

I know one thing Im sure  the  top 1%   wont have to worry  (sorry for making it political)

OC.

1 hour ago, Rick03301 said:

Toilet paper still very scarce and I'm running low on curtains. Hope they'll start rationing supplies.

My other hobby (main one these days) is patchwork quilts.  You wouldn’t believe the size of my stash of handy-sized bits of light, gentle-feeling bits of cotton fabric!

i just saw a Facebook comment from my daughter in law saying ( in effect) “I’m scared”.  My reply was (in effect) that I’m scared too, and so is everyone - even those idiots who refuse to self isolate when it’s in the general  interest to do so.  I said my mum was scared 81 years ago, when ww2 started, and she stayed scared for six years  And my dad was scared too, when he was flying in his Beaufighter over Egypt, being shot at by enemies in Heinkels over Egypt and Libya.  (Actually he got 4 of them, and hewasn’t shot down himself.  Crashed later, but another story).

Point I’m making is, we were all scared.  And it was for YEARS.  This time, if we pull together, it could just be formonths.

Well, I went to the grocery store today for the first time since last Thursday, when it was packed with people stocking up on toilet paper and God-knows-what-all-else. The store was relatively empty. Very few people. I guess they've got the hoarding gene out of their system now, or at least have enough toilet paper to feel secure for the foreseeable future. Still, everybody was looking askance at each other, as if we were all carriers, and the poor checkstand clerk was wearing a surgical mask and rubber gloves. I felt bad about "exposing" her, but what can I say? I ran out of burbon!