BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

18 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Sounds like you're "good to go." Welcome to the club. We just got the word tonight that the whole state of CA is on "lock down" now. I expect you guys up in Oregon will be following suit soon. Keep well!

Still, everybody was looking askance at each other, as if we were all carriers, and the poor checkstand clerk was wearing a surgical mask and rubber gloves.

It's coming here to Oregon.  Downstate, where I am, they've shut down the bars, restaurants (except for carry-out or drive-through).  We've had 3 cases here, one got well, the other two were on a cruise ship and have been isolated at home.  

The clerks have been doing that for about 2 weeks now.  They're also wiping down the counter, credit card machine, and the conveyors.  

10 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Hey, we can all become Hippies again 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Rats.. I just my hair cut two weeks ago.  It was down to my shoulders.

9 hours ago, wefalck said:

What was said about prisons above also applies to care homes for the elderly. One sick care staff can wipe out a whole home. I am really worried for my 95 year old mother ...

There's been mention of the places for the elderly and others in care homes.  No visitors, staff has have temperature taken daily on the way into the building.  My ex is in one due to early onset dementia among other things, and her sister says "they seem to have a handle on it".  We'll see.

Haircuts?  Don’t tell me about haircuts!  Last week I decided to let my Admiral’s do-it-at-home hairdresser trim my 3-month-long locks.  Do you get the tv series Plebs in the States? Blasted woman left me looking like Grumio!

52 minutes ago, probablynot said:

Haircuts?  Don’t tell me about haircuts!  Last week I decided to let my Admiral’s do-it-at-home hairdresser trim my 3-month-long locks.  Do you get the tv series Plebs in the States? Blasted woman left me looking like Grumio!

🤣 My wife says she's going to cut mine...what's left of it. I think I'm just going to let it grow down to my shoulders. It looked good on me 50 years ago...might be kind of thin and stringy now though!

Just to fill  everyone in about our exploits yesterday  - we do online shopping with a large grocery store called Tesco  (have been doing the same for years and years as  shopping from the shops is not practical or do able anymore)   anyway  we have to place a slot   you can do this up to about a month in advance  then play around with your order,  we did the last order about two weeks ago, anyway  the admiral  got an email to say that  2/3rds of the  order was not available   including essentials like  loo roll,  hand soap, bread , eggs  all meats, tinned food, milk  and other items, so in vain we tried to book a slot with another store ASDA  no good they were fully booked up until May.

I tried to ring Tesco  got through explained our situation and urgency  and was told there was nothing they could do  - the orders are picked on the night before delivery and things have been running out due to Hoarders.

I dont want to go out if it can be avoided  - not because of my health as its fine, but because of the admirals as I would never forgive myself if I passed on something to her,   anyway  looks like  later today  I will have to venture out  dont have a face mask  only have some of those throw away  thin  clear gloves (the admiral uses when she dyes her hair)  ontop of those I will where my finger less gloves.

Its a real mess  - the MSM  tell us to stay at home no matter what  but what can you do when you need food and cleaning products to stay hygienic  and not starve, we dont have any stored food as we live from  every check  so two weeks food has to last.

Its a real mess we are all in   - hope and payers we come out of this on the other side  - All of Us.

OC.

OC,

I hear you and agree. It's a real mess.   Can you make your first stop the chemist?  They should have masks..... I would hope.  When we make it though this, we should be given a medal at least.

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

OC,

I hear you and agree. It's a real mess.   Can you make your first stop the chemist?  They should have masks..... I would hope.  When we make it though this, we should be given a medal at least.

I will try  the chemist first    fingers crossed.

OC.

Locked down here in Portugal as well (and btw, they  are talking of putting back into use an old law that punishes hoarding of 6 months in prison - fortunately, the Portuguese people are civvic, compliant to rules, and disciplined for most of them, which cannot necessarily be said of some expats living in the country).

In fairness, I am very concerned about my business in France, which I had to lock-down as well. We changed and resumed our operations after a few days, because we still had customers to serve, some of them companies providing vital supplies, but basically the business is down 80+ %. Very worrying for the future, as I have 9 employees depending on this business, not to mention the shareholder - me - who does not get unemployment benefits if things come to the worst ...

Anyway, although I realise the issue of young kids is old memory for the vast majority of the members, a few seconds of a light-hearted wink :

Take care all.

Hubert

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Just to fill  everyone in about our exploits yesterday  - we do online shopping with a large grocery store called Tesco  (have been doing the same for years and years as  shopping from the shops is not practical or do able anymore)   anyway  we have to place a slot   you can do this up to about a month in advance  then play around with your order,  we did the last order about two weeks ago, anyway  the admiral  got an email to say that  2/3rds of the  order was not available   including essentials like  loo roll,  hand soap, bread , eggs  all meats, tinned food, milk  and other items, so in vain we tried to book a slot with another store ASDA  no good they were fully booked up until May.

I tried to ring Tesco  got through explained our situation and urgency  and was told there was nothing they could do  - the orders are picked on the night before delivery and things have been running out due to Hoarders.

I dont want to go out if it can be avoided  - not because of my health as its fine, but because of the admirals as I would never forgive myself if I passed on something to her,   anyway  looks like  later today  I will have to venture out  dont have a face mask  only have some of those throw away  thin  clear gloves (the admiral uses when she dyes her hair)  ontop of those I will where my finger less gloves.

Its a real mess  - the MSM  tell us to stay at home no matter what  but what can you do when you need food and cleaning products to stay hygienic  and not starve, we dont have any stored food as we live from  every check  so two weeks food has to last.

Its a real mess we are all in   - hope and payers we come out of this on the other side  - All of Us.

OC.

OC

Where are u located ?  Down here in Devon, I have seen a number of volunteer groups getting started who will go out and do shopping or collect medications for those unable to do so due to age or self-isolation.  Maybe you could search Facebook for your area ?   And these groups only take your money when they deliver the shopping !

Clive

On German TV, they were talking about an event security firm that decided to switch to a shopping service for those, who cannot go out easily themselves under those circumstances.

The situation in the supermarkets here in France seems to be quite variable. A friend of ours told us that in the big 'Auchan' in La Defense (a business and commercial suburb in Paris) there were not too many shoppers and the shelves were more or less stocked as usual.

The average middle-class family of four in central Paris lives on 70 m2, which in normal times is quite tight, but these days is very taxing. I don't want to think of those extended immigrant families in the poorer suburbs. It is also very taxing for those cultures, where people habitually spend much time outside their homes.

It seems to be very taxing for middle-class families that tended to off-load their children to extra-curricular 'activities', particularly over the weekends, or to child-minders after school during weekdays. We heard of various parents, who find it very difficult to cope with the continuous presence of their children and don't know what to do with them. Also the children are used to be permanently 'entertained' and seem to have a limited capability to keep themselves busy.

My wife and me are lucky to have occupations that are not really hit by this crisis. She organises the client service for a medical oxygen supplier, so there should be actually a surge of demand - I am teaching inter alia on risk management at the university and always told my students that one man's crisis is another man's good fortune. Otherwise, I am working as a self-employed advisor on research projects and they go on as normal, accept that there is no travel, of course, and meetings are replaced by teleconferences (good for our CO2-footprint).

14 minutes ago, wefalck said:

... an event security firm that decided to switch to a shopping service for those, who cannot go out easily themselves under those circumstances.

I like that story and hope it is copied everywhere. A pub here in the south of England was in the news for re-opening as a farm shop within hours of having shut as a pub by government order.

2 hours ago, wefalck said:

Also the children are used to be permanently 'entertained' and seem to have a limited capability to keep themselves busy.

How true Wefalck.

With us starting to see the shutting down of some non-essential businesses, now is perhaps the time to stock up on the hobby stuff you need, such as glues, paints, sanding paper etc. 

It's ok being in isolation with a model kit to build, but you're up the proverbial creek if you don't have the basics to build and complete it.

Southeastern USA...  Publix grocery stores seem to be constantly cleaning and wiping down carts.  Hit and miss on cleaning and paper products, meat and frozen foods.  I was told by a manager who was frantically stocking shelves that the problem was not product but getting it to the stores.  He added that they just hired 80 drivers.  Sounds like it is a pig in a python situation.

1 hour ago, JohnLea said:

Southeastern USA...  Publix grocery stores seem to be constantly cleaning and wiping down carts.  Hit and miss on cleaning and paper products, meat and frozen foods.  I was told by a manager who was frantically stocking shelves that the problem was not product but getting it to the stores.  He added that they just hired 80 drivers.  Sounds like it is a pig in a python situation.

"Publix, where shopping is a pleasure." That's the company logo/theme for this chain of stores. They are indeed a fantastic southern grocery store chain that have been around since I was a kid.

What I've been seeing on various outlets is that truckers are being checked along major routes to insure they are not carrying a fever, causing backups and delays. Have you heard the same in Ga?

Starting this week, they are supposed to have reserved early mornings on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for seniors 65 and older, only, to do their shopping. I assume it's the same for your state.

Haven't heard of health check of drivers.  The manager did say something about the size of trucks but I didn't get the gist of it.  I am hard of hearing and we were "distancing".

They are starting geezer hours here on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as well next week.  They have started to put limits on the amounts you can buy.  No limits on Ice cream.

I thought the days chosen for senior shopping were a bit odd.  Why not a bit farther apart?  I wonder if it has something to do with stock availability.  More of an item early in the week??

Everything is good here and have heard of no problems except empty shelves - no need to explain which shelves. 

I got an email yesterday that made me feel great.  It was from the new Fire Chief who was a brand new firefighter when I retired 22 years ago offering to make sure that if we needed anything to just call and he would make sure one of the department members would get it to us one way or another.  It's great to know that even after all this time we are still considered part of the extended FD family. 

4 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

Everything is good here and have heard of no problems except empty shelves - no need to explain which shelves. 

I got an email yesterday that made me feel great.  It was from the new Fire Chief who was a brand new firefighter when I retired 22 years ago offering to make sure that if we needed anything to just call and he would make sure one of the department members would get it to us one way or another.  It's great to know that even after all this time we are still considered part of the extended FD family. 

Wow, that's awesome, Kurt. A family indeed.

Here in Europe, many lorry drivers are from Eastern Europe and they went home to stay with their families, so there is apparently a shortage of drivers in addition to the problem of crossing inter-European borders with food supplies.

For the same reason harvesting early season fruit and vegetables (strawberries, rhubarb, asparagus etc.) and some sowing/planting is put in jeopardy, because they depend on Eastern European labour.

The French government assured 80% of the wages through some unemployment measures for those who (have to) stay at home. This had the unwanted effect, that also workers in 'essential' jobs, including the food and transport industry, prefer to stay at home.

Overall, our modern industrial societies indeed prove to be not very resilient. I have been teaching this to my university students in my lectures on risk management. This term - if it takes place, I don't need to look far for examples ...

I have a niece in Gunnison, Colorado, who works as an ER nurse in Grand Junction, Colorado. She got infected with the virus and is nearly recovered now and should be able to go back to work in a week. I have another niece who is an anesthesiologist in Richmond, Virgina, and they are very short on protective gear for the the hospital staff. They have been making plastic veils from rolls of clear plastic wrap to help cover themselves.

I also have a good friend who is a translator at the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, California, and the hospital had to lock up their protective gear supplies because some of the hospital staff were stealing them. As this crisis continues to worsen we will likely see people at their heroic, best behavior and, unfortunately, some at their worst too.  

I manage a large 97 unit condo building. Mostly all retired seniors and at risk people. I`ve got quite a few in isolation at the moment from returning home from abroad. I`ve got sick people to, with similar symptoms in isolation. I can tell you that I am scared %$/"less for them, my wife and me. I am going out and cleaning every possible surface anyone could touch 3 times a day. With chemicals that are quite frankly not good for you! We are helping with anything anyone could need, does not matter we will get it just don`t go out. There is a lot of misinformation out still that people bat around with no real source. The reality is though that this is 1000 times more contagious than SARS and it is here as a result of SARS. So if you think this is a wake up call think again. What if the next one is 1000 times more contagious than this one, which we are still nowhere near finished with yet. 

6 minutes ago, BobG said:

As this crisis continues to worsen we will likely see people at their heroic, best behavior and, unfortunately, some at their worst too.  

This is a certainty, but to what degree? Time will tell.

My usual Harbor Freight email today said they are donating their entire stock of M95 masks, face shields and 5 & 7 mil Nitrile gloves to local hospitals.  Local stores will distribute after hospitals contact HF corporate hq. 

On a happier note, I am celebrating today, because after several trips to the grocery store this past week, I finally got a package of TP! Life is suddenly good today. 

They didn't have any when I went in, but just as I was checking out, I saw that someone had some. Went back and they had apparently restocked while I was perusing the other aisles. If you can do it, it definitely pays to keep checking for the things you need.

Is it a coincidence that the movie "War of the Worlds" has been playing on our cable system? This is indeed a war but in this scenario the aliens are a novel virus. I have to return to work tomorrow and I'm terrified but  veterinarians are considered essential services. My only solace is that I am able to employ several people while most others are laid off.

Greg so far we have lost about 45% of our visits.  Luckily (I guess) we run massive mandatory overtime normally.  Over last few years we just cannot keep recruitment up with the network expansions.  We have not had to let anyone go just decreasing hours across the board.  Hopefully we can keep enough healthy for when the surge comes.  I am starting up a week of night shifts so we shall see how that goes...